Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2017 carbon Laird Surfer 10'6

Created by anchorpoint > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2017
anchorpoint
190 posts
1 Feb 2017 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi

anyone had a ride on the 2017 laird surfer 2017 ? any big difference with previous year models ?
Thinking about buying one but most comments I found here are 2/3 years old .
thanks

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
2 Feb 2017 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Just in case you don't get many replies it's because we don't see Laird boards here in Oz much other than the old Surftech Laird boards.. Well that's what it's like here in Melbourne..

From what I've seen in pictures they look good and having Lairds name on it should guarantee a good board but the only way to know for sure is to demo first.

rodriguez
VIC, 883 posts
2 Feb 2017 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
anchorpoint said..
Hi

anyone had a ride on the 2017 laird surfer 2017 ? any big difference with previous year models ?
Thinking about buying one but most comments I found here are 2/3 years old .
thanks

The dimensions I saw late last year were10-0x 31 x 4-1 138 ltrs, 9-6 x 30 x 4-0 124 ltrs.
But It seems they won't be coming anytime soon.

anchorpoint
190 posts
2 Feb 2017 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

thanks guys, i may have more chance on some US sites maybe, shame they dont market them in oz..

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
2 Feb 2017 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

I've still got the 11ft x 29.5 Surftech Laird and ride it all the time. I love it. The difference with the new ones is that they're a fair bit wider which would put me off

805StandUp
128 posts
3 Feb 2017 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Greetings. I have a 10'6x32 Laird Pearson Surfer and also a 2016 9'6x30 Laird Surfer shaped by Terry Chung I think (though it says designed by Laird on the bottom) which is the same shape as the 2017. The 2017 has some new changes I heard of--diamond deck pad, built in gopro mount...etc. Of all my SUPs, I really love the Laird shapes in the surf and the fact that they are lower volume than boards of similar sizes. The new shape is more stable at each size than the original with a bit of a wider pintail and it has a bit more rocker. I actually feel like the new 9'6x30 is more stable than the original Surftech 10'6x30. It does have the PVC sandwich construction which is a good thing, but the paint on top does seem to chip which was also confirmed by another surfer that has one too--the carbon may be stronger. After I put rail tape on it, it helped.

I wrote a review on Amazon here about how this 9'6 is my goldilocks board if you would like more info:

www.amazon.com/Laird-StandUp-Surfer-Semi-PVC-Surfboard/dp/B016OWAHJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486094284&sr=8-1&keywords=laird+surfer#customerReviews

Andrew

CheraxD
SA, 1 posts
12 Sep 2017 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, yes I would be keen to know as well. I have the 9'6" Surfer and without doubt, its the best all round SUP I have ever had.
However, when things get bigger I wouldn't mind something a little lighter and shorter.
Cheers
Mark

805StandUp
128 posts
12 Sep 2017 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CheraxD said..
Hi, yes I would be keen to know as well. I have the 9'6" Surfer and without doubt, its the best all round SUP I have ever had.
However, when things get bigger I wouldn't mind something a little lighter and shorter.
Cheers
Mark

Since I responded to the last post, I did exactly what you are suggesting and downsized my 2016 9'6 Surfer to a 2017 9'0x29.5x113L Carbon Surfer and found great improvement. Weighs 15lbs, durability of Carbon, better deckpad with heel kick, matte finish on the bottom and integrated gopro mount. I find the smaller size to be more nimble in larger waves and like the throwability of the 113L for my body weight at 85kgs. Tradeoffs are a little less glide for the shorter length and the Carbon does heat up more in the sun than the PVC so I make sure to keep it in a board bag. Another option to consider is the 9'4 or 8'10 Laird Surrator is much more nimble in bigger waves with more pronounced rocker and pulled in nose and tail. Hope this helps. I am unaffiliated with Laird outside of giving him lots of my disposable income through buying his boards.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2017 carbon Laird Surfer 10'6" started by anchorpoint