Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Created by Bighugg A week ago, 21 Nov 2019
Bighugg
NT, 294 posts
21 Nov 2019 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Saw some of these boards in storage on previous trip to Bali.
The notch out of the fin caught my eye. What is the theory with that ?
Seemed like quality boards.
Anyone had any experience with them ?

808-Obsession
QLD, 372 posts
22 Nov 2019 4:55AM
Thumbs Up

Whatever the theory was, it looks like they no longer market/use them, at least not as a separate item on their website - www.425pro.com/fins

I do see though that they still have a notch at the base of the fin - maybe as a flex point? Maybe the mid-fin notch was a trial on flexing the fin at the centre to promote more drive out of turns? Or possibly a way to try disrupting flow off the trailing edge to create a small vortex to increase speed? No real clue, just guessing! Maybe just to give it a different appearance!

The owner (Jerry) appears to come from an outrigger background - www.425pro.com/about-us - maybe the notch was inspired by something in that space

justaddwater
NSW, 85 posts
22 Nov 2019 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
808-Obsession said..
Whatever the theory was, it looks like they no longer market/use them, at least not as a separate item on their website - www.425pro.com/fins

I do see though that they still have a notch at the base of the fin - maybe as a flex point? Maybe the mid-fin notch was a trial on flexing the fin at the centre to promote more drive out of turns? Or possibly a way to try disrupting flow off the trailing edge to create a small vortex to increase speed? No real clue, just guessing! Maybe just to give it a different appearance!

The owner (Jerry) appears to come from an outrigger background - www.425pro.com/about-us - maybe the notch was inspired by something in that space

Leg rope slicer

808-Obsession
QLD, 372 posts
22 Nov 2019 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

808-Obsession said..

Leg rope slicer

colas
3505 posts
22 Nov 2019 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..
Leg rope slicer

Yup, my first though when I saw them :-)

riverider
TAS, 958 posts
22 Nov 2019 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

I've seen them do that with the long base futures fins, because they go in on an angle you can not get them in without the little cut out on the back.

Bighugg
NT, 294 posts
22 Nov 2019 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi riverider, agree with you on the base for mounting. It was the notches over half way up the back edge that puzzled me ??

The other board was running 3D fins

justaddwater
NSW, 85 posts
23 Nov 2019 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
Hi riverider, agree with you on the base for mounting. It was the notches over half way up the back edge that puzzled me ??

Possibly for tip flex Michael Cundith/GG were doing it in the early 80's in Byron/Broken area,some times it was as crude as hacksaw cuts in the trailing edge,gotta love the innovators of or lifestyle /sport

ghost4man
331 posts
23 Nov 2019 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

What are the notches for?

So we can talk about what the notches are for and then spend money on working out whether those notches are worth it

riverider
TAS, 958 posts
25 Nov 2019 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..

Haha, I just thought that was black painted triangles, should of gone to spec savers!

slowpoke2
QLD, 19 posts
Friday , 29 Nov 2019 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Use to put horizontal cuts through the back of surfboard fins in the 70s to attempt to introduce a bit of flex
Maybe.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"424" started by Bighugg