Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Anyone have experience with Infinity Blurr V2?

Created by cantSUPenough > 9 months ago, 4 Aug 2019
cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
4 Aug 2019 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

I ride Sunova Acid now, but I am looking for something different. I like the look of the Blurr V2.

Is it tough or prone to dings?

What is the stepped deck like?

Given that it is fat in the center with narrow rails, what is the stability like? If I stay around 120-125L, I would be moving from the 9'1" x 30.5 125L acid to the 8'5" x 30.5" 121L. (I am 98kgs on a good day...)

Any comments would be helpful! (You can message me if you prefer.)

Hoppo3228
VIC, 734 posts
4 Aug 2019 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

AFAIK They are made at the same factory as Jimmy Lewis and One, so I'd imagine bomber...

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
5 Aug 2019 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Well, if it is as tough as the One board I rented last week then it must be tough. I smashed the board against rocks, I took out a few Mal riders, and whacked it a few times getting it in and out of the apartment - and you could hardly see the dings.

Just kidding Paul...

justaddwater
NSW, 673 posts
5 Aug 2019 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
Well, if it is as tough as the One board I rented last week then it must be tough. I smashed the board against rocks, I took out a few Mal riders, and whacked it a few times getting it in and out of the apartment - and you could hardly see the dings.

Just kidding Paul...

I think the infinity's are built in the good old USA.the crew that test and make them are at the pointy end of sup design and construction world wide,i.m.o,just wish I could afford one

Hoppo3228
VIC, 734 posts
5 Aug 2019 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

cantSUPenough said..

Just kidding Paul...

I think the infinity's are built in the good old USA.the crew that test and make them are at the pointy end of sup design and construction world wide,i.m.o,just wish I could afford one

yes, the customs are built in the usa, the production boards in the far east...

justaddwater
NSW, 673 posts
5 Aug 2019 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..

justaddwater said..

cantSUPenough said..

Just kidding Paul...

yes, the customs are built in the usa, the production boards in the far east...

Thanks hoppo didn't know that.must be cold in the water down that way.a distant memory for me,I spent 40 years just near your post code,a truly magical time in surfing,west coast Vic

Hoppo3228
VIC, 734 posts
5 Aug 2019 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

had a sweet session after work tonight at Torquay Point... a bit overhead on the sets, clean walls and 300m rides...

Only downside was the 12 degree water!

Kami
1566 posts
5 Aug 2019 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

As I love what this Infinity company is doing, but like many others, I can afford it. So, I just design the board I would like to built and surf been influenced by Infinity models. Here on a 7'4'' 26.5" 3.84" 85 litres version which is able to stand up paddle because I weight 77kg. I can
Have designed this board a few months ago but I add the stepped deck which allows to come down in thickness keeping thin rails.
I like the" Jet Tail " providing a pivot point with its wing and a wide tail for back foot thruster power. Watch the planning area around front fin in yellow with some vee at the tail for transfer.
www.shape3d.com/Warehouse/Board.aspx?Account=6301&BoardName=CALIFORNIAN%20BABE

Hoppo3228
VIC, 734 posts
5 Aug 2019 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Looks sweet Kami! Could you fin this as a Twin + 1 (MR)? or what would be best?

Kami
1566 posts
6 Aug 2019 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..
Looks sweet Kami! Could you fin this as a Twin + 1 (MR)? or what would be best?

Thx Hoppo, this is a quad and definitively a quad. Concave bottom shape, as well as rocker and outline, are dedicated to quad fins. I would do a Stubby outline with rocker and bottom shape of the single fin to settle Mr+1 as The Smick is.
But back on CntSupEnough topic, I would take the Acid instead of the V2 because the acid got the wings which as many advantages of surfing and paddling stability.
What I draw is finally a mix of the Acid and V2.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
6 Aug 2019 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Kami said..

I would take the Acid instead of the V2 because the acid got the wings which as many advantages of surfing and paddling stability.

Hi Kami - would you mind explaining what you mean? Why is the Acid better?

Kami
1566 posts
6 Aug 2019 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..

Kami said..

I would take the Acid instead of the V2 because the acid got the wings which as many advantages of surfing and paddling stability.

Hi Kami - would you mind explaining what you mean? Why is the Acid better?

Bert is explaining that in this video

He does explain the advantage of the wings that make the board stable without the width of the tail which is hard to bury when wide. Blurr V2 got some wings too but they further pulled back than Acid one. And the overall outline of the V2 is more pintail.
Probably less stability lost for some gain of projection and carving ability for the V2.

Antho
VIC, 508 posts
6 Aug 2019 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Ive owned two Infinity boards... an 8'8" BLine and a 10" New Deal that I still ride. I have been supping for almost 8 years now so I have had HEAPS of different brands of boards . I can honestly say the construction of Infinity boards is Awesome They are bulletproof.
Jimmy Lewis SUPs sound like they are on a par strength-wise however I am yet to have the pleasure of acquiring one of those.
Smik also seem to produce excellent quality boards. Anyway, I love Infinity for their amazing performance and attention to detail.
So many quality SUPs out there it is a really challenging decision when you are searching for a new board.
Happy hunting

Supnorte
262 posts
7 Aug 2019 4:51AM
Thumbs Up

Infinity production boards are made in Kinect and they mimic most caractheristics of the customs boards in terms of performance with the durability of a production board. Dave Boehne's go to board is a Blurr v2 production board, so that's tell a lot of how they are made.

In terms of durability I had a B-Line 7'11 for two years and I sold the board almost brand new. Super though construction, but light and flexible (you can feel the flex/coil while surfing and apply a lot of pressure on your bottom-turns expecting a bifg release afterwards). My boards had no scratchs on the painting (it's not a traditional external painting like others boards), no pressure dings or no dings whatsoever, and I surfed some heavy waves.

As for the step rails, there's no adaption needed. You just surf it like any other board. I went from a B-Line 7'11 x 27" 86 liters to a Blurr v2 7'8 x 25.5" 79 liters. That was a big step in terms of width, shape (pointy nose, norrower tail and the rails aren't as paralel as on the B-line) and for a low volume board a 7 liters difference is also big. What I felt is that the B-Line and Blurr v2 are similar in terms of stability (a 79 L B-line would be similiar in terms of stability to a Blurr with the same volume).

The step rails are very useful because you can have very thin rails but maintain the overall volume of a board adding the volume on the deck. In terms of stability I think it helps if your board sinks a bit, that is if you can have you rails below water level but the center deck outside of the water). I think the 8'5 would be a great board for you. These boards are very stable so you can risk losing a few liters compared to your current board, And you would still have enough flotation.

Hope it helps!

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
7 Aug 2019 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Antho and Supnorte (and everyone else) for your comments.

I can't say that I can fault the Acid (I have three of them that I use depending on my weight and conditions and I am sure I don't surf it anywhere near its potential), and I enjoyed the ONE surf sup I used last week, but there is something that clicks with me about getting on to a shorter board that retains the volume yet still has thin rails. The Acid has nice thin rails but it is a lot longer...

I have two surf trips next year (Indo and PNG) so I would like something that will excel in those conditions and be fun here too.

Kami
1566 posts
7 Aug 2019 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Antho and SupNorte give you very good advice. With their skilled help, I think that you finally point on the main difference between those two boards which is the length/ thickness ratio. V2 is more blocky when Acid is lengthy shaped.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
10 Aug 2019 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

FWIW I pulled the trigger and ordered the board. I am away next week but I hope to try it out when I get back.

cbigsup
454 posts
11 Aug 2019 2:56AM
Thumbs Up

I owned the 8'5". Bomber and fun. You will love it. Carving like ginsu on open faces!

prdska
SA, 5 posts
15 Aug 2019 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

been riding on the rnb,115 lire 8.2 x 29 approx 20 surfs,over 4 monhs stepping back to a 118 litre imagine impact, and 4 to 6 days on jimy lewis 125 litrebaby bomb.
result is had to put training wheels on the rnb, ie larger front 5.5 jerry lopez quads, to slow to thing down on my backhand till I adjusted to its bottom turn and down the line speed. now back too standard infinity quad setup, with a fifh darth trailer fin, as my only trainer wheel!
STABLE AND FAST TO PADDLE,BIT BLUNT ON TO NOSE PUNCHING THROUGH WHITE WATER,STRONGER PADDLER WOULDNT HAVE THAT HASSLE,IM LIGHTWEIGHT WANNABE, BUT STILL PICKING A FEW BOMBS OFF HERE AND THERE.
i WOULD SAY ON BIGGER DAYS YOU CHANGE UP TOO LARGER 5.5 FRONTS AND THE RNB, IS A BLAST,UNLESS YOUR SURFING FOR SHEEP STATIONS OR A HAPPY SNAPPER, CANT GO PAST THIS SUP PAUL

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Anyone have experience with Infinity Blurr V2?" started by cantSUPenough