Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Anyone surfed JP Surf Pro 8'10 and 8'6?

Created by ExSurfCentre > 9 months ago, 24 Jun 2015
ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
24 Jun 2015 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

I currently surf the 9'2 and have been looking at downsizing for a while. Its really hard to get a demo on any boards where I live but today I got lucky and tried the 8'10, I was surprised that despite the drop in volume it didn't feel any different to the 9'2 in stability. Can anyone compare the 8'10 to the 8'6, my heart is set on the 8'6 but at 95kg its a risk without trying.
Thanks in advance

p.s if anyone is selling one of these boards feel free to let me know :-)

Aseela
WA, 164 posts
24 Jun 2015 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

I started on the JP 9' 2" Surf wood edition a while back when I was learning. After a winter I bought the JP 8' 10"Pro edition. Like you there really was no stability issues for me(75kgs) and I found the 8' 10" that bit more manoeuvrable and comfortable in most conditions. After less than a year on this board I managed to trade The 8' 10" for the 2015 8' 6". I certainly noticed the difference in this scaling down as the smaller board is tippy to a certain degree on the rails but if you can counteract it in time comes back OK. Performance wise it is an excellent vehicle which takes off just as well when catching a wave and has a real small board feel. The board is ideally suited to clean, glassy, to offshore conditions where surge and chop are absent. It works well in breaks where the surf is limited to breaking in confined areas rather than over 'a big playing field', the reason being that glide to get you from A to B is not as good as the bigger versions. With my current ability I would not go any smaller now(unless I were going to Indo), and for that reason I have bought a 9' 2"pro model as well as the 8' 10" to use on the big less perfect days. The 8' 6" JP 2015 is a great board and I can't wait until they make similar modifications to the bigger models. Hope this helps!

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
25 Jun 2015 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

Great stuff, that helps a lot. Im lucky enough to get those great glassy and offshore conditions regularly so I think the 8'6 is my board. I'll keep the 9'2 for those bomb sessions or when its windy. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 1751 posts
25 Jun 2015 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tgcp said..
Im lucky enough to get those great glassy and offshore conditions regularly.

So where do you live and are there any houses for sale

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
25 Jun 2015 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

cantSUPenough said..

tgcp said..

You wouldn't want to live here, we get it tough. For example yesterday was a bit of a chilly winters day so I had to crack out My 2m rash vest to accompany my board shorts brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

cantSUPenough
VIC, 1751 posts
25 Jun 2015 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tgcp said..

cantSUPenough said..

tgcp said..

You wouldn't want to live here, we get it tough. For example yesterday was a bit of a chilly winters day so I had to crack out My 2m rash vest to accompany my board shorts brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Forget it then

Piros
QLD, 5375 posts
25 Jun 2015 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

At 95 kegs the 8-6 will float you but big difference to the 8-10. The 8-10 is a much better performer than the 9-2 .Personally I think dropping down to the 8-6 might be a bit much. The older model 8-6 is a touch more stable than the new model. If you really want to do it maybe a second hand 8-6 2013 model may be the better choice and a cheaper option.

Here is a couple of the 8-6 in the for sale section a wood (2013) version for $799 & a Pro for $1,300 (2015 version Bargin)

Wood
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/StandUpPaddle-Surfing-and-Cruising-Boards/~tersc/2014-JP-Australia-Surf-Wood-8-6-29-inches.aspx?search=uQNVTXNc1pWhjfFr!0$S5w==

Pro
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/StandUpPaddle-Surfing-and-Cruising-Boards/~tclku/JP-Australia-Surf-8-6-29-inches.aspx?search=uQNVTXNc1pWhjfFr!0$S5w==

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
25 Jun 2015 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info, great stuff as always. I didn't get to surf the 8'10 so will try and get a go later this week to see the difference, if it gives me the performance Im looking for I guess theres no point struggling on the 8'6.

Piros
QLD, 5375 posts
25 Jun 2015 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

At 95kg I could still ride the 8-6 in pretty well any conditions and now my weight is holding at 89kg I must admit it heaps easier. I found once I got over 92kg it just sat that touch lower and the legs worked a bit harder.

There is a big drop from the 8-10 to 8-6 you loose a lot area and foam. So coming from a 9-2 to the 8-6 is a big leap. Give the 8-10 a demo before you pull the trigger on anything.

bigman
QLD, 224 posts
26 Jun 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

I went from the 8'10" to the 2013 8'6" which are the same shape and now the new 8'6" which I have found quite a bit tippier due to more pulled in nose and tail, but is a lot looser due to more rocker.
I'm around the 87 kg Mark.

mattyongoldy
QLD, 166 posts
29 Jun 2015 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

The 8'6 wood from piros's earlier post is now in my garage havn't tried it in the surf yet. Will put up a review against the 8'2 jp widebody that ive been riding after ive had a few sessions.

AA
NSW, 2147 posts
2 Jul 2015 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

I am 92kg and pretty comfortable in all conditions on the 8'10 JP Pro.
Personally I wouldn't go down to the 8'6 unless I was surfing once or twice a week or in buff conditions.
It never pays to go too small in my book.
I recently competed in the Scotts Head event and got through to the finals on my 8'10 Speed. As it was small I went down to the 8'5 in the final heat and kept missing out on the better sets that were going all the way into the beach. Lesson learnt. If in doubt go bigger!

Loz79
QLD, 457 posts
2 Jul 2015 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mattyongoldy said..
The 8'6 wood from piros's earlier post is now in my garage havn't tried it in the surf yet. Will put up a review against the 8'2 jp widebody that ive been riding after ive had a few sessions.

Keen to hear your thoughts, i have the 8'2 wide body and am looking at either the 8'6 or 8'2 as next board...

mattyongoldy
QLD, 166 posts
3 Jul 2015 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

So i just tried out the 2014 jp 8'6 surf in clean 2 to 3' beachbreaks there was a little chop but on the 8'2 widebody could have fell asleep in between waves but on the 8'6 it was a bit more challenging. Was quite a bit more tippy side to side the biggest challenge was the nose or tail sinking quickly which never happens on the wb. Glad i didn't go the 8'2 surf or even the 8'6 2015 which is thined out more than the 14 model. Think it will take a few more sessions to be comfortable than i thought but definitely doable. On the wave its so different to the widebody. No slide of the bottom turn. Can turn it up the face into the lip and it comes down fast. Way better on late take offs too can drop in driving on the front foot like a shortboard not having to try to pull the nose up mal style on the widebody.will be the go to board especially when it get a bit more powerful.

mattyongoldy
QLD, 166 posts
3 Jul 2015 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

The 8'6 surf.

mattyongoldy
QLD, 166 posts
3 Jul 2015 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry video was set on private hopfully works now. Thanks for the heads up Kami

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
4 Jul 2015 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info. I managed to get my hands on the 8 10 for an unmissable deal.

Great board, after 1 session I can't tell the difference in stability over the 9 2. On the wave its felt great, My foot position is all over the place, Ive spent so many hours on the 9'2 but I reckon a couple more surfs and the benefits of the shorter board will definitely tell. I'll be holding off on the 8'6 for a while but its still definitely on my wish list.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
17 Oct 2015 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Quick Update on this topic incase anyone was in the same boat as me looking at the 8'6.

After spending a couple of months getting used to the 8'10 and loving it I couldn't pass up the opportunity when an 8'6 came up for sale.

Long story short I have now found my favourite SUP ever in the 8'6, I was actually really surprised how easy the transition was, sure its a little harder in the wind and chop but not so much that it ruins a session and the performance on the wave more than makes up for it.

After worrying about whether I would be able to use the 8'6 its now my goto board in just about all conditions and am now looking at the 8'2 so if anyones got one for sale please let me know as Im super keen.

Bender
WA, 2050 posts
17 Oct 2015 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Im looking at off loading my 2014 jp 8'2 surf

magentawave
119 posts
18 Oct 2015 4:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tgcp said..
Quick Update on this topic incase anyone was in the same boat as me looking at the 8'6.

After spending a couple of months getting used to the 8'10 and loving it I couldn't pass up the opportunity when an 8'6 came up for sale.

Long story short I have now found my favourite SUP ever in the 8'6, I was actually really surprised how easy the transition was, sure its a little harder in the wind and chop but not so much that it ruins a session and the performance on the wave more than makes up for it.

After worrying about whether I would be able to use the 8'6 its now my goto board in just about all conditions and am now looking at the 8'2 so if anyones got one for sale please let me know as Im super keen.

Was it the 2014 8-6 Surf or the radically different 2015 model that you got? I tried my friends 2014 8-6 Surf and loved it but found the 2015 8-6 was too much work to paddle.

Rossall
WA, 498 posts
18 Oct 2015 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone been on the new 2016 redesigned 8/10 model

phil

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
18 Oct 2015 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
magentawave said..

tgcp said..

Was it the 2014 8-6 Surf or the radically different 2015 model that you got? I tried my friends 2014 8-6 Surf and loved it but found the 2015 8-6 was too much work to paddle.

Its the 2015 version, Im lucky to be blessed with good enough conditions to warrant this board, I've been out on a couple of windy days and its a handful. I actually find it fast rondo a wave than the 8'10 which Im putting down to the width, seems to get unto speed faster.

oldgregg
QLD, 1 posts
14 Dec 2015 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

I am 84 kg and surf the 8'10" JP pro surf.
I tried the 8'6" before buying. The 9'2 and 8'10 are both 30" wide and made little difference in stability. I didn't notice dropping ten litres.
The 8'6" is another 16 litre drop and 29" wide. Big difference. I really struggled off the wave in pretty good conditions. On the wave, wow! At 95 kg? Big risk without trying. The 8'10 pro is for sale. Only because I am buying the 2016 model. About to advertise.

Piros
QLD, 5375 posts
16 Dec 2015 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..
Anyone been on the new 2016 redesigned 8/10 model

phil

Yes it is completely different than the old 8-10 really nice board , it now has the 8-6 characteristics & performance with the 8-10 stability

Foam
WA, 700 posts
26 Dec 2015 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

About to order this very board 8,10x30 2016 jp surf

90kg intermediate in average wind blown conditions

Should be the bees knees

Piros
QLD, 5375 posts
27 Dec 2015 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Boom