Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Anyone tried diff fins on the 9-5 JL Striker?

Created by linter > 9 months ago, 1 Aug 2015
linter
223 posts
1 Aug 2015 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just picked me up a Jimmy Lewis Striker to use when I'm not cruising on the Jimmy Black & Blue. I've been riding the Striker's stock tri-fin set up but noticed that things get a little squirrelly really fast when i get near the nose. I know it's operator error but maybe a sightly different fin configuration would help somewhat, without messing too much with the board's other attributes.
Anyone tried it with a single fin?
Or a bigger center fin?
Or?
TIA!

Slab
901 posts
2 Aug 2015 2:13AM
Thumbs Up

I know one of the guys on here rides it as a single but not sure if he is big on tip time. I think he just removed the side fins.

AkeG
132 posts
2 Aug 2015 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Have had the 7" JL stock fin w/the 4" sides (the solid glass ones) nice and predictable though I like fins with a bit more flex.

One time a wingnut cutaway noserider 10" way too much fin for me on the Striker....stiff turning (though I should give it another shot)
Linter, this fin would hold very well for nose rides. I could not get up there with any sort of regularity that day. It's an odd fin that works best on a bigger board way forward in the box as a single.

Settled on an FCS 8" Dolphin center nice thin n' flexy tip does everything well...has been there since the winter (kept the 4" JL sides in).

Slab
901 posts
2 Aug 2015 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AkeG said..
Have had the 7" JL stock fin w/the 4" sides (the solid glass ones) nice and predictable though I like fins with a bit more flex.

One time a wingnut cutaway noserider 10" way too much fin for me on the Striker....stiff turning (though I should give it another shot)
Linter, this fin would hold very well for nose rides. I could not get up there with any sort of regularity that day. It's an odd fin that works best on a bigger board way forward in the box as a single.

Settled on an FCS 8" Dolphin center nice thin n' flexy tip does everything well...has been there since the winter (kept the 4" JL sides in).

Mine came with an 8 inch centre and the sides ....I swapped to a 7 inch centre with the sides. Not so good for tip time I expect but bit freer on the wave....but our waves are small and weak.

Slab
901 posts
2 Aug 2015 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AkeG said..

Mine came with an 8 inch centre and the sides ....I swapped to a 7 inch centre with the sides. Not so good for tip time I expect but bit freer on the wave....but our waves are small and weak.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Anyone tried diff fins on the 9-5 JL Striker?" started by linter