Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Atlantis Halo or ECS Evo

Created by Morgs2279 > 9 months ago, 26 May 2018
Morgs2279
2 posts
26 May 2018 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
Complete newbie to SUP. Looking to get into the sport. I am 6ft / 110kgs. Reasonable balance.
These two boards seem to be liked by many and good value. Will be used mostly flat water with a bit of small surf.
Any recommendations for these two choices. These are pretty much at the top of the budget.
Thanks in Advance

hedgeddown
18 posts
28 May 2018 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Go with what's local. If you're in Sydney go 11'2" ECS Cruiser. If you're in QLD or northern NSW go 11' Halo.

For flatwater you want long and narrow with not too much rocker - so a lot of people myself included find the longboard shapes 11' and above track well in a straight line without too much swapping sides and decent glide. My friend, a longboarder with similar height & weight to you uses a Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" x 180l for flatwater but he finds it still a bit tippy in the surf so 11'2" x 32" x 200l is going to be more forgiving and fun in small surf. The Naish budget board for that purpose would be the 11'2" x 32" x 220l Quest.

I learnt to surf on my friends 11'4" Nalu and now surf a shorter Evoke badly, but the 11'4" Nalu and other longboard shapes are more fun for beginners in the surf and also work better on flatwater (just don't put in the side fins). I would only go 10'6" if the balance tipped to the surf side - and even then you'll have more fun at the start on the longer higher volume board.

Edit: ECS is local to me so I've seen a few of their boards up close and they look great. Since I was in Northern NSW I got an Evoke on sale, but shape aside I prefer the matt ECS to the glossy Halo.

Morgs2279
2 posts
28 May 2018 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback. I have done a fair bit of research and was keen on the ECS board anyway so I think you have
helped me make up my mind.
Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Atlantis Halo or ECS Evo" started by Morgs2279