Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Atlantis Runaway 9.6 first impressions

Created by Lucyloo > 9 months ago, 6 Feb 2016
Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
6 Feb 2016 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

i have been looking for a longboard style sup for the last 12 months but price has held me back.My daily surfer is the 8.10 sunova speed and i love it but i have been missing the fun that comes with longboarding in the right conditions.So this week i bit the bullet after watching the demo video of the Atlantis 9.6 and i ordered one on Monday on line.By Friday it was on my doorstep in Vicco and today i had a couple of surfs on it.I will admit initially my purchase was price driven but having spent many years competing and surfing longboards,i honestly couldnt see why this board would not provide what i was looking for.One concern i had was a drop to 120 ltrs but when i thought about it if i can get toes on the nose on my mal at 70 ltrs by 23 wide and 9 feet long then why cant i do same at 28.5 wide by 9.6 by 120 ltrs.The answer is of course i could and it performed really well.This board is super stable and provides good glide as well as the ability to spend all day on the nose no effort.I did use my own fins as the stock fins were not my idea of ideal but they would be adequate for use.The quality looks to be A1 and the weight is fine.I surfed mine in forhand point waves upto 3 feet today with a couple of dicey low tide reef suckers and the atlantis was great.I can see a lot of great longboarding coming up on this board at an affordable price to have sitting on the rack for those days.In all honesty the Atlantis does not provide the magic of the Sunova speed for me but i tell ya its a damn good longboard.I hope this may be of use to anyone who is thinking yeah they look ok but why so cheap,well im not seeing anything to reflect a sub standard product at this early stage, but i guess time will tell.I have to add toward the end of my low tide rock hopping fun i did cop the worst corky in the thigh but im tipping i deserved it as i got too deep for my own good.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
9 Feb 2016 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review. I have been curious to know what those boards were like.

Greystoke
119 posts
9 Feb 2016 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate, ive been seriously looking at this board (9"6) can you tell me your weight and yea I had my doubts, but you have cleared that up nicely.

Cheers

supthecreek
2585 posts
9 Feb 2016 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

We are getting conditioned to think that anything we can afford, is no good

I was impressed by Tim's video, he was ripping on that board.
It looked to surf very well.... videos are good at exposing flaws in a board, and the Runaway 9'6 looked great.I am glad you took the chance.... thanks for the review!

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
10 Feb 2016 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Greystoke sorry for delay as i been off the air for a while.Im around 85 kegs and 180 tall;the board is stable but i have been slowly dropping width since the 8.3 x32 hokua.It would have eased the transition id imagine but id think most would adjust quite well to the Runaway.Hope this is of help to you.

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
10 Feb 2016 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks STC and yes this is a really honest longboard style sup.Glad i went the 9.6 as our waves tend to be shorter with lots of direction changes required.The 10 footer may have been too long for my needs but i reckon at 130 ltrs it would be really stable and a little xtra width could be great for those winter months with all the rubber on.Im always enjoying following youre posts thanks.Go well and stay young STC.

Greystoke
119 posts
11 Feb 2016 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you, very much appreciated. The board appears humble without anything to flashy and certainly does not attract attention like the more exspensive longboard SUP brands , its the shape that give away the performance capabilties.

The first time I had seen the "Runway" shape it screamed HP and nose ride all over it. I was just waiting for someone to review it.

The price tag adds more to the attraction, I'm sold!

Cheers

SupChickadee
VIC, 138 posts
11 Feb 2016 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks LucyLoo - I looked at the board for small days, but wasn't sure and couldn't get it out for a trial - so went for the Sunova Style 10' which I trialled for 4 days in the surf, but for the price of the Runway it is hard to beat. Can you please give us an update about the durability of the board down the track, I'm curious to know about the quality of the boards

Emeboy
NSW, 399 posts
19 Feb 2016 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

LucyLoo, what is the weight of the 9'6?

Thinking of one of these for my partner (and for me to borrow on the little days)...

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
20 Feb 2016 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Its around 9.8 kgs by my scales.

Emeboy
NSW, 399 posts
21 Feb 2016 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mate...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews