Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Atlantis vex pro

Created by stehar > 9 months ago, 21 Jun 2018
stehar
NSW, 557 posts
21 Jun 2018 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Need a board around 9'6" and this looks good - and a good price! If you have one please let me know how it is holding up. I am rough on boards - will it last? Also how is it for going thru break and waiting out back? Iam 90 kilos and creaking along at the moment 68 yo.
SO review of 9'6" atlantis vex please - by a reader that isnt sponsored.
Steve

Emeboy
NSW, 399 posts
21 Jun 2018 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehar said..
Need a board around 9'6" and this looks good - and a good price! If you have one please let me know how it is holding up. I am rough on boards - will it last? Also how is it for going thru break and waiting out back? Iam 90 kilos and creaking along at the moment 68 yo.
SO review of 9'6" atlantis vex please - by a reader that isnt sponsored.
Steve

Hey Stehar,
I had a 9'6 Vex Carbon for about 3 years (only just recently sold) and I really rate it. I am a fair bit younger than you but at 100kg the 9'6 was really comfortable to paddle. I have shifted down board sizes now and the finance manager would not let me buy my new creek till I sold off some others .

I am pretty rough on boards too and I can honestly say that after 3 years of thrashing, there were no dings or chips at all or deck compressions of note in the board. The only repair was to the deck grip around the handle as it came loose and tore a bit... easy fix.

Stability is good and the slightly wider nose and medium rocker helps to pop over whitewash easily and take a fairly late drop without disaster. I did change the fins from stock as I found them a bit sluggish. Not a fin expert but this made a big difference. I rode the board as a quad the whole time. The carry handle is nice and wide making the board easy to carry and the board is very light for its size.

With the sale on at the moment, I doubt you could find a board to match for the price....

Cheers

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
21 Jun 2018 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks!

SupChickadee
VIC, 138 posts
21 Jun 2018 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hey - i've got the 9'6 carbon vex and really enjoy it (i did get it for my husband but i use it a lot) Stable and light and good for paddling to outer points and find it good getting out through the break. They are hardy boards but any board doesn't like hitting things I've also got the 8'6 carbon vex and just bought the carbon evoke for my husband - for the price you can't go wrong imo you may want to consider the 9'2 x 32 carbon evoke as well, a lot of mature gentlemen like them down this way for their stability in chop etc and for heavier guys.......

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
27 Jun 2018 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

thanks supchick, have bought the waterborn evoke 9'2"
Steve

digger56
NSW, 2 posts
28 Jun 2018 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

hey SupChickadee
MY NAME IS DALE HAVE SUP SURFED A 9'X 32" WANT TO DROP DOWN TO MAY THE 8'6" .HAVE RIDEN THE 7'11" EVOKE, ON A WAVE VERY GOOD BUT DEFEATING THE PURPOSE AS FAR AS PADDLING GOES. IM AROUND THE 100 KILO MARK AND FOR THE PRICE OF THE 8'6" ATLANTIS VEX I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I WOULD BE SUITED OR HOW THE BOARD PERFORMS. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS.
THANKS DALE

SupChickadee
VIC, 138 posts
28 Jun 2018 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehar said..
thanks supchick, have bought the waterborn evoke 9'2"
Steve

nice one, let us know what you think of it?

SupChickadee
VIC, 138 posts
28 Jun 2018 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
digger56 said..
hey SupChickadee
MY NAME IS DALE HAVE SUP SURFED A 9'X 32" WANT TO DROP DOWN TO MAY THE 8'6" .HAVE RIDEN THE 7'11" EVOKE, ON A WAVE VERY GOOD BUT DEFEATING THE PURPOSE AS FAR AS PADDLING GOES. IM AROUND THE 100 KILO MARK AND FOR THE PRICE OF THE 8'6" ATLANTIS VEX I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I WOULD BE SUITED OR HOW THE BOARD PERFORMS. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS.
THANKS DALE

Hey Dale i love the 8'6 in clean conditions and it really rocks as far as moving the board around, is very responsive and they are on sale now for a great price. Having said that it sits in the garage a lot as we have more days that have choppy conditions here and i've been paddling to a reef break 800m off shore with heaps of water moving around, so take a bigger board.

A sup friend who rips on the 9' Carbon Vex tried my 8'6 in the calm flat water and had trouble just standing on it, which really surprised both of us (he weighs in the 90kgs and 50 something) so go figure. i've used the 9' Carbon Vex which is really stable and still a lot of fun, but maybe the 9' might be a better option if your sup conditions are mostly choppy IMO. I've never tried the 7'11 evoke........and i'm getting older and lazier, great to have those clean days when you can take the shorter board out and have a ball, but if conditions are not clean its just really hard work and the wave count and fun factor can drop dramatically........

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
29 Jun 2018 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
digger56 said..
hey SupChickadee
THANKS DALE

probably not on the 9 unless your an advanced paddler
I'm at 80kg the 9x30 is very tippy with the narrow nose and tail.
I saw a guy on an 8'6" and he said he was 65kg.

Dack
NSW, 23 posts
29 Jun 2018 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dale,
I almost have the boards you are asking about; a 9'6"Vex and the 7'11"Evoke. I am only 70kgs though, maybe 73 in a wetsuit :). Firstly these boards are well made and stand up to general wear and tear as well as any other brands I have had. The Evoke I use only when the surf is either choppy or tiny and there isn't far to paddle, as it draws a bit on the stroke each time (side to side movement). This is less apparent when set up as a thruster and conversely when it is a quad it is more apparent. It has tons of floatation and is incredibly stable at 32"wide, almost laughably so. What it doesn't do is rail to rail transitions because of the width. If you are a heavy backfoot surfer it will probably perform better. As a quad set up I find it a bit "skaty". It is heaps of fun though and it is a key member of my quiver.
The Vex is entirely different. I went for the 9'6"because I paddle about 300-400 metres to my break so the trip out is better with a bit of length. It is also very stable and the plan shape is very forgiving in larger waves as it has good area around the nose plus some lift which makes the prospect of nose diving on a late take off far less likely. I reckon I would be better off on the 8'6" version from a purely surfing perspective, but then I am back towards the evoke size of board with the paddle trade off.
Ultimately you need to decide what conditions prevail in your area and make a decision based on that, or have a multi board quiver, which is almost possible with SBW kit. I'll be buying a Venom 12 footer in the next sale to top out my collection.

HGFish
NSW, 148 posts
2 Jul 2018 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Dale, there's a 9' VEX on here for sale - I'd recommend having a look at that.

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
4 Jul 2018 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Surf today at home break - new fin setup gets good drive off wave face - waiting for hex grip as a couple of times I felt that I needed to move foward to drive down the line - paddled along the lake with my wife and it paddles well and surfs well for me - will be a killer when I get it dialled in - 0nly 3rd surf today -very happy

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
4 Jul 2018 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

How good is that break! Just begging for some top turns!

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
4 Jul 2018 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehar said..
Surf today at home break - new fin setup gets good drive off wave face - waiting for hex grip as a couple of times I felt that I needed to move foward to drive down the line - paddled along the lake with my wife and it paddles well and surfs well for me - will be a killer when I get it dialled in - 0nly 3rd surf today -very happy

Great stuff Steve - keep the vids coming

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Atlantis vex pro" started by stehar