Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Coreban 14 Turbo

Created by oldsup > 9 months ago, 20 Aug 2014
oldsup
QLD, 83 posts
20 Aug 2014 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

I know this is a race board but can anyone give me an idea of the stability vers naish 17 or 2011 fanatic ocean 14
100 kg 6'2"
thanks in advance ( flat water only)

crazybula
NSW, 99 posts
21 Aug 2014 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Just using just these boards you have mentioned as a reference, if you gave the most stable board a 10 for stability on flatwater, that would be the Naish 17.

The 2011 28" Fanatic would be around 7.5 to 9 (depending on ability).

The Turbo is a tricky one. It can be a nightmare for the balance-tested at our weight, or it can be mildly challenging absolute flyer with the right pilot. Compared to the other two it would be between a 3 and 6.5 (again depending on ability).

Please note these are based on my experiences only. As a guide I am also 6' 2", and over 100kg.

If it helps, I own a Naish 17, raced on the 2011 Fanatic, and tested the Turbo with an interest to purchase.

Despite all this the Turbo still fascinates me. It is the sort of board that, if the situation allowed, I would like to own just to say I have one, as it is quite unique. However I am only allowed to have so many boards.

I never tried it with the extra 4 fins fitted, as they apparently help limit roll of the board and aid tracking (although tracking isn't a real issue with it's shape).

Being heavier, paddlers like us on the Turbo will sink the board more and make it more subject to having the nose tuck under if you don't keep the board level. By this I mean that the deep cutting-nose will - if the board is tilted while under power - sometimes pull down and to one side. This is a balance/management issue and takes nothing away from the fact it is a quick board, just in the high-maintenance-to-paddle department at our weight. The extra fins may help in this area.

As an extra guide I used to own a 14 Javelin as a training board, and the Turbo made me concentrate so much more than the Javelin.

Hope this helps.

oldsup
QLD, 83 posts
21 Aug 2014 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
crazybula said..
Just using just these boards you have mentioned as a reference, if you gave the most stable board a 10 for stability on flatwater, that would be the Naish 17.

The 2011 28" Fanatic would be around 7.5 to 9 (depending on ability).

The Turbo is a tricky one. It can be a nightmare for the balance-tested at our weight, or it can be mildly challenging absolute flyer with the right pilot. Compared to the other two it would be between a 3 and 6.5 (again depending on ability).

Please note these are based on my experiences only. As a guide I am also 6' 2", and over 100kg.

If it helps, I own a Naish 17, raced on the 2011 Fanatic, and tested the Turbo with an interest to purchase.

Despite all this the Turbo still fascinates me. It is the sort of board that, if the situation allowed, I would like to own just to say I have one, as it is quite unique. However I am only allowed to have so many boards.

I never tried it with the extra 4 fins fitted, as they apparently help limit roll of the board and aid tracking (although tracking isn't a real issue with it's shape).

Being heavier, paddlers like us on the Turbo will sink the board more and make it more subject to having the nose tuck under if you don't keep the board level. By this I mean that the deep cutting-nose will - if the board is tilted while under power - sometimes pull down and to one side. This is a balance/management issue and takes nothing away from the fact it is a quick board, just in the high-maintenance-to-paddle department at our weight. The extra fins may help in this area.

As an extra guide I used to own a 14 Javelin as a training board, and the Turbo made me concentrate so much more than the Javelin.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much this is exactly what I was hoping for
cheers
john

Area10
1389 posts
21 Aug 2014 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

The Turbo was tippy by the standards of it's day, but not by the standards of the current thinner raceboards. IMO there are plenty of tippier boards out there now, including the narrower raceboards by Starboard or Fanatic for instance. It's definitely far more stable than the Fanatic flat water 14x24", as an example, or the Starboard Sprint. So it all depends on whether you'd classify those boards as particularly tippy I guess.

charlieuk
355 posts
21 Aug 2014 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

I tried one once with the two extra fins, i hated it so much i nearly got of and swam in! Tippy is a understatement (im 7'2 73kg and normally paddle a 24 wide 12'6) and that is more stable than the turbo. The problem is its about 5 inches to thick in the standing area making it like standing on a swiss ball. would be fun experimenting buy chopping one about a bit but other than that there is only one other board i have found that is as bad as that, pretty much anything is more stable and forgiving than the turbo from my personal view.

Area10
1389 posts
21 Aug 2014 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Well that just goes to show how personal "tippiness" is. I can't even stand on many boards that charlieuk has no problem at all with, and yet I took out the Turbo and did upwind/downwind laps in confused 1-2ft chop and didn't fall in. I was managing over 5mph average upwind which is pretty good for me. But I agree that the domed deck is horrible. You stand with your legs bent as if straddling an imaginary horse. I can't imagine what possessed them to do that. I would certainly not have any problem with the Turbo in flatwater, and my balance is crap. So it's just back to that old thing: there is NO substitute for a demo. Ever. I'm totally gobsmacked that Charlieuk found it tippier than I did because his balance skills are in a different league to mine. I'm heavier but shorter (and older) than he is so maybe it is a height thing.

Area10
1389 posts
21 Aug 2014 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Btw Charlie, I know you are tall, but are you really 7ft 2"?

charlieuk
355 posts
21 Aug 2014 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Btw Charlie, I know you are tall, but are you really 7ft 2"?

yea thats a typo was in bed almost asleep lol

charlieuk
355 posts
21 Aug 2014 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Well that just goes to show how personal "tippiness" is. I can't even stand on many boards that charlieuk has no problem at all with, and yet I took out the Turbo and did upwind/downwind laps in confused 1-2ft chop and didn't fall in. I was managing over 5mph average upwind which is pretty good for me. But I agree that the domed deck is horrible. You stand with your legs bent as if straddling an imaginary horse. I can't imagine what possessed them to do that. I would certainly not have any problem with the Turbo in flatwater, and my balance is crap. So it's just back to that old thing: there is NO substitute for a demo. Ever. I'm totally gobsmacked that Charlieuk found it tippier than I did because his balance skills are in a different league to mine. I'm heavier but shorter (and older) than he is so maybe it is a height thing.

tipsiness will probably be magnified by my extra hight and a little less weight. Thing is theres just no reason to be standing that high up, tail turning it was a horrible experience for me all so. apparently its better with all 5 fins in it but anything that needs that many fins to get even a little stability has some functionality problems unless it was ridiculously fast. I think would be surprised at how stable my 14' dw board and 12'6 is paul if you tried them its amazing what lowering you CoG and reducing side area does for stability in chop.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
22 Aug 2014 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

I have had the turbo for a while , im 62 85kg and have no problem on flat water. You don't need the extra fins , the board tracks very straight , I have a small 9 fin in the back only. I did try do downwind it a few times , picked up bumps really well , but the tracking is a problem. Flat water board only , it is very fast and unlike some boards that tend to bog down when you really go hard , it keeps going faster. It would be lighting fast if it was lighter , quite heavy compared to some these days. But if you only want a flat water flyer it ticks the boxes. Don't use mine much these days so if you want a bargain let me know.

oldsup
QLD, 83 posts
23 Aug 2014 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks teatrea
but by the sounds of it I would need two ,one for each leg to have any chance of standing up
Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Coreban 14 Turbo" started by oldsup