Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Custom board rack?

Created by GizzieNZ > 9 months ago, 24 Jul 2016
GizzieNZ
3795 posts
24 Jul 2016 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

thinking about custom 3 board sup rack for small japanese saloon......anyone done a custom rack using front and rear ends bolted to vehicle chassis......rather than using all that flimsy gutter mount stuff?

Todzilla
179 posts
25 Jul 2016 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Dunno how that might work at the front - and most Japanese saloons (unless it's really old) will be a monocoque so no real chassis per se to bolt anything to...
Have you thought about a combination of roof racks and tow bar mounted rack like this...?

www.rhinorack.com.au/products/water/kayak-carriers/t-load-towball-mount_rtl001

Might just be a tad easier...

Mistermister
21 posts
25 Jul 2016 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

I rivetted some tracks from rola to the roof of my camry, they work good.
www.rhinorack.com.au/products/roof-rack-parts/tracks

I have installed roll cages in cars which attached to the chassis, definitely possible to go from the chassis up through the roof but it would be an ugly job.

towball
4619 posts
25 Jul 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

There is some clever people around with some good ideas

GizzieNZ
3795 posts
10 Aug 2016 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towball said..

There is some clever people around with some good ideas

That was one of my "good ideas"
I also note the "porridge saucepan".......essential early morning surf equipment.
Are we allowed to drill holes through our car roofs or door pillars to attach anchor points for board attachments?
.....And also it seems I am no longer permitted to make comments about "sunday afternoon phone calls"......my post has vanished
How can a post about sunday afternoon phone calls be considered detrimental to general sup morale and protocol?

GizzieNZ
3795 posts
10 Aug 2016 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Todzilla said..
Dunno how that might work at the front - and most Japanese saloons (unless it's really old) will be a monocoque so no real chassis per se to bolt anything to...
Have you thought about a combination of roof racks and tow bar mounted rack like this...?

www.rhinorack.com.au/products/water/kayak-carriers/t-load-towball-mount_rtl001

Might just be a tad easier...

did think about something like that.......have not got towball however.......except when i see him at the beach ha ha

GizzieNZ
3795 posts
10 Aug 2016 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

was looking at kanulock straps......all very good having tuff straps....but if they just attached to roof rack that has dubious attachment points.....its all just going to blow off in a big gust of wind if you got 2 or 3 boards on top
That's why i would like to drill holes and put bolt type anchor points through the car body itself

Tardy
2885 posts
11 Aug 2016 3:37AM
Thumbs Up

Nothing in the rule book to so you can't drill holes .
dont forget the silicone ,for a good down pour .
Stainless bolts for salt water.....go for it

GizzieNZ
3795 posts
11 Aug 2016 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

yeah you would think it would be okay.......rubber bushes......big hefty washers on the inside

Tardy
2885 posts
12 Aug 2016 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

And a little bit of silicon on the bolt to be sure to be sure .laddie.
make sure you measure .before drilling ...you don't want a siv for a roof .
and don't take out your interior light .
Ive never drilled a wrong hole in my life whoops .

it s a custom .

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Custom board rack?" started by GizzieNZ