Thumbs Up

These work a treat in the Short Mac!

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
9 Sep 2018 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Bighugg mate, get excited.
The wind has turned. Offshore!
Surfed right through the high this morning, big fat beachies, and in to the outgoing for some nose riding fun. Straight as an arrow standing up the front.
Here is today's magic fin combo!

Cheap to run too buddy, 4 hours on 1 banana and a cup of coffee!

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
9 Sep 2018 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..
Surfed right through the high this morning, big fat beachies, and in to the outgoing for some nose riding fun. Straight as an arrow standing up the front.

Did you direct comparison with the fins it came with yet brenno.
As have found (as others have) the fins to be critical. and nothing has come close yet.
so would be very interested
cheers
scotty

Slab
1063 posts
9 Sep 2018 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

That's a cracking looking board....love it.

The twinnie and tiny centre fin doesnt work on all boards for sure.....I tried it on my longboard SUP and it just didn't feel right. However, the Jackson Close fins work well on my board when the waves are a bit bigger. I'd love one of Scotty's Style Lord's.....the 10 x 30..... be perfect for my waves.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
9 Sep 2018 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scott mckerc said..

Brenno said..

As have found (as others have) the fins to be critical. and nothing has come close yet.
cheers
scotty

Of course I did Scotty.
The first day I had this board out I managed to throw a really nice big cutty with them, since not repeated.
Unfortunately the power of the waves here mostly leaves a lot to be desired, so I have been playing around with what I know works in the conditions.
When it's cranking again I'll chuck em back in.
Love your work mate.

Bighugg
483 posts
9 Sep 2018 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Frothing, loving the wet look Brenno.
Nice keels cbigsup, like what I was running in 8'6 Space Pickle rears.
not these fins. Colas is right about wide ass board.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
12 Sep 2018 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

scott mckerc said..

Brenno said..

cheers
scotty

Of course I did Scotty.
The first day I had this board out I managed to throw a really nice big cutty with them, since not repeated.
Unfortunately the power of the waves here mostly leaves a lot to be desired, so I have been playing around with what I know works in the conditions.
When it's cranking again I'll chuck em back in.
Love your work mate.

So, back at work, paying for my board and all the other stuff. Will be a while before I see her again......
Had an epic session yesterday morning on the blue meanie, I could see the lines of swell from the house, so knew that the waves would be a little more punchy. Put the stock fins back in, and headed down to see the sun rise over the point. Beautiful.
Caught up with my mate ET on his Vex, and we had some fun.
I have been amazed at how my 9'6" Steeze can handle steep stuff almost right up on the beach and not kill me, even though at times I could feel the 31" of width would start to get a flutter up, letting me know it was time to get off the wave and stop being silly.
I still get a little nervous playing around wally stuff on longboards, ever since cartwheeling my 10'6" Nalu down a monster at Peregian and entertaining my bro greatly. End over end over end....
This thing however with the mega sides and tiny centre fin is ridiculous. It sticks. And carves. Getting more and more confident to drop it over a lip. And the more I work on my footwork, the better it gets. Seriously good fun. Surfs like such a smaller board, I probably could have gone with 30" wide and it still would have worked, but glad I didn't.
Many, many more fun sessions ahead.........

Bighugg
483 posts
12 Sep 2018 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Choice feedback loving the late drop n hold so envious
how long between surf's for you ?
We have to hang out till last week Nov, BUT then got 2 weeks to chase a bunch of different Bali waves .
Getting a StreetSUP schedule happening , to crank max water time.
Shaping up a new 8'0 on 250mm Originals with 97mm wheels as a Hipster Twin Longboard.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
22 Sep 2018 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
Choice feedback loving the late drop n hold so envious
how long between surf's for you ?
We have to hang out till last week Nov, BUT then got 2 weeks to chase a bunch of different Bali waves .
Getting a StreetSUP schedule happening , to crank max water time.
Shaping up a new 8'0 on 250mm Originals with 97mm wheels as a Hipster Twin Longboard.

10 days away at work. One day off. Today. Timing was perfect. SE blowing up some good froth this morning. Scored a few cracking waves. Was asked by mate of a mate in the surf this morning how i was liking the board. I said it's f'n awesome. And it is. Really getting back on the tail and driving her now. It's so light but doesn't flap around on a wave, great glide, and loving the narrow nose.
Nailed the dimensions for my height, weight and ability. Perfect stability to surfability ratio.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
28 Sep 2018 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

These make this board flow so well on very average choppy waves.
Reckon they'll be great in some size with the trailer fin.
Nice flex, hold and release.

Bighugg
483 posts
28 Sep 2018 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

You'd be liking this little center I got off the mail plane this arvo

Grom's for trailer's

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
14 Nov 2018 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

So, having been surfing this board exclusively for a couple of months, I thought it was time for an update.
After half a dozen attempts to get my "photographer" son to take a pic or 2, I have given up.
To start off, this is the best longboard sup I have owned. Hands down.
My mate ET, who was out on one of my old deep boards, said this morning, "You've got that Smik board sorted out". More like it's got me sorted out.
This thing will catch any wave. I could hear my youngest son the other day yelling, "No way, no way" as he was flailing away on his longboard, and I came from behind, over the lip, and took the wave. Again and again and again.
Super easy to trim on a wave. As soon as I advance towards the nose I can feel the speed increase. So much so sometimes, I stay up there. Great fun.
Makes sections on it's own. The fin set up makes it dance and flow, really lively for a big board. The stock fins are great, awesome for cutties, but I prefer the ones I use regularly now, really nice flex and release. I tried it several times without the centre, but the rail to rail transition wasn't as smooth.
As far as construction goes, it really is bulletproof. No nicks, scrapes, chips or deck compressions, and I haven't been kind to it. At all.
On the 1st October (Mad Monday - go Eagles!) I tucked in to a closed out beachy, and made it out. Just. Being smart I went for a second, and paid the price. Dragged up and over, and over again, I could feel the fins digging in to my hip, elbow and shoulder. I came up coughing and spluttering checking for claret, but none to be found thankfully. I had manage to snap a fin and damage the box though. Poop. I filled the damaged screw hole, and using a pic that Scotty sent me of an uninstalled fin box, figured I could drill and tap from the other side. And crack on! Any other board would have suffered much worse.
I haven't learnt my lesson, and continue to drop her over steeper and hollower waves. Handles it all, as long as I get the take off angle right, as with any 10'.
Lastly, she's nice and light to carry up the hill after a 4 hour session, which is a bonus.
You won't be seeing this big blue beasty on Buy & Sell anytime soon.
Promise.

Goodbye
QLD, 117 posts
14 Nov 2018 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..
So, having been surfing this board exclusively for a couple of months, I thought it was time for an update.
After half a dozen attempts to get my "photographer" son to take a pic or 2, I have given up.
My mate ET, who was out on one of my old deep boards, said this morning, "You've got that Smik board sorted out". More like it's got me sorted out.
This thing will catch any wave. I could hear my youngest son the other day yelling, "No way, no way" as he was flailing away on his longboard, and I came from behind, over the lip, and took the wave. Again and again and again.
Super easy to trim on a wave. As soon as I advance towards the nose I can feel the speed increase. So much so sometimes, I stay up there. Great fun.
Makes sections on it's own. The fin set up makes it dance and flow, really lively for a big board. The stock fins are great, awesome for cutties, but I prefer the ones I use regularly now, really nice flex and release. I tried it several times without the centre, but the rail to rail transition wasn't as smooth.
As far as construction goes, it really is bulletproof. No nicks, scrapes, chips or deck compressions, and I haven't been kind to it. At all.
On the 1st October (Mad Monday - go Eagles!) I tucked in to a closed out beachy, and made it out. Just. Being smart I went for a second, and paid the price. Dragged up and over, and over again, I could feel the fins digging in to my hip, elbow and shoulder. I came up coughing and spluttering checking for claret, but none to be found thankfully. I had manage to snap a fin and damage the box though. Poop. I filled the damaged screw hole, and using a pic that Scotty sent me of an uninstalled fin box, figured I could drill and tap from the other side. And crack on! Any other board would have suffered much worse.
I haven't learnt my lesson, and continue to drop her over steeper and hollower waves. Handles it all, as long as I get the take off angle right, as with any 10'.
Lastly, she's nice and light to carry up the hill after a 4 hour session, which is a bonus.
Promise.

Hi Brenno,

How do you think one of these would go as a 9.6 ? ........ as an alternative to a Sunova Steeze for example.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
14 Nov 2018 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TaoJones said..

Brenno said..
Promise.

Hi Brenno,

How do you think one of these would go as a 9.6 ? ........ as an alternative to a Sunova Steeze for example.

Just sold a 9'6" steeze.
Working on a 9' something smik at the moment. Reckon it's gonna rip.
Don't get me wrong. The steeze was a heap of fun, the error was on my behalf by not shaving it down to at least 30". And maybe 9'.
The winner for me in the end is the light weight and ripple catching ability of the smik.

Goodbye
QLD, 117 posts
15 Nov 2018 5:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

TaoJones said..

Brenno said..
Promise.

Hi Brenno,

Just sold a 9'6" steeze.
Working on a 9' something smik at the moment. Reckon it's gonna rip.
Don't get me wrong. The steeze was a heap of fun, the error was on my behalf by not shaving it down to at least 30". And maybe 9'.
The winner for me in the end is the light weight and ripple catching ability of the smik.

Thanks Brenno,

Yeah, those narrower boards are definitely fun to surf once you get used to them.

I'll look into the Smik. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Bighugg
483 posts
24 Nov 2018 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Choice Brenno.... loving your update.... you got me frothing.... 5 sleeps to go.
Packing the family fins kit

cbigsup
454 posts
24 Nov 2018 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Brenno, Great to hear about how much you and the Blue Meanie are getting along.

Am having a serious case of Geezer Froth waiting for my 9'2" Hipster Twin Mini Mal!

Bighugg
483 posts
8 Dec 2018 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Brenno, Just reread your update, got me frothing .
Picked up my board from a travel weary Scotty yesterday at Sanur . Rail taped n HexTrac on last nite . Heading out to Torro Torro for introduction paddle now. Day pics later with feedback .

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
8 Dec 2018 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
Picked up my board from a travel weary Scotty yesterday at Sanur . Rail taped n HexTrac on last nite . Heading out to Torro Torro for introduction paddle now. Day pics later with feedback .

Awesome mate, you're gonna have a ball on that.
Yeah Scotty does some miles, not sure how he does it.
I haven't been out for ages, been absolute sh1te, screamin' onshore, stingers, heatwaves, fires and general unpleasantness, and as Murphy's Law would have it, swung around and started pumping the day I had to go back to work...
Hope to catch the tail end of it when I get back home on Monday

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
8 Dec 2018 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

I feel ya pain Brenno.
Its been hotter than the devil's jock strap up here also. No swell to speak of - whatsoever- onshore, boxies everywhere and I'm over it.
Pipe starts tomorrow, so that'll keep me half sane...

Bighugg - the new stick looks sick - keen to hear how she goes mate. V jealous - hope you get good waves. Send photos!

cbigsup
454 posts
8 Dec 2018 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..

Saw the pic on Igram! Jealous!
Looks awesome mate! Let us know how it goes..

glideontime
NSW, 206 posts
11 Dec 2018 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..

any report on maiden voyage? pix?

Bighugg
483 posts
12 Dec 2018 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Big shout out to Brenno for posting this,inspiring me to take the custom leap.
your follow up review sums it up for me also,
running stock fins Funky just flows from fast faces,late drops, flowing through to grovely knee high reBreak noses . Cruises the 700m out to break ok. Just feels easy. ( PS.. 8km return paddle to Jimbaran corner is not its forte )
Got some good sessions at Torro Torro easily connecting with second break. Before wind swung onshore after big rain bringing lots of big wood into the bay. So we have been Sanur 3 days at Towers, bigger outside for me with softer inner for wave beginner wife.
Snuck down to pool for Nooza like water shots.

Short board hungry profile

Rspro rail n HexTrac .... it disappears into the nose print.

STOKED

cbigsup
454 posts
13 Dec 2018 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Saw the pic on Igram. Didn't know it was your custom!

Sounds awesome!

bomberdave
VIC, 397 posts
13 Dec 2018 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

bighugg,

love the board, what are the dims???

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
13 Dec 2018 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
Big shout out to Brenno for posting this,inspiring me to take the custom leap.
your follow up review sums it up for me also,
running stock fins Funky just flows from fast faces,late drops, flowing through to grovely knee high reBreak noses . Cruises the 700m out to break ok. Just feels easy. ( PS.. 8km return paddle to Jimbaran corner is not its forte )
Got some good sessions at Torro Torro easily connecting with second break. Before wind swung onshore after big rain bringing lots of big wood into the bay. So we have been Sanur 3 days at Towers, bigger outside for me with softer inner for wave beginner wife.
Snuck down to pool for Nooza like water shots.

Short board hungry profile

Rspro rail n HexTrac .... it disappears into the nose print.

STOKED

Great to hear mate.
Love the look of that stik, she's mint!
Been out on mine heaps over the last few days, everything from head high to 1 foot mush.
Made the most of it, looks like it's about to get ugly again!
Stoked you're stoked!

Bighugg
483 posts
13 Dec 2018 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Specs - 10' x 30.5 @ 145lt , I'm 100 - 110 kg .
Back at tower Sanur today,had it to myself so put board thru some paces. Late close out take offs , all the wrong place stuff ! Made it out of nearly all of it, what I didn't was not getting back on the tail enough quickly. Hanging to try with out booties in more user friendly local.
I'm not much of a lefty but worked some good ones, just flows.
Got a better cruise out n back by moving center fin right back , centering to surf. Boardy pocket tag, Mrs hair tie, fin key center bolt...

bomberdave
VIC, 397 posts
13 Dec 2018 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

10" how did you get that to bali???

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
13 Dec 2018 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

+1 BigHggg???
Have you got some inside info that needs to be shared?
Ive got an Indo trip lined up in a couple of months - what's the secret for the 10'er on the plane???

Bighugg
483 posts
13 Dec 2018 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty of Smik sup handed it over personally last week on his way through. Great bloke in person.
I put Bali delivery to him with long lead time as he passes regularly.
Scott's mate Jonni runs Rip Curl School of Surf , Sanur and has Smik demo's . Bunch of locals got various Smik customs, as Jonni does storage. Possibilities ? ? ?
Funky is staying @ Bali ( with Mrs pink prone )

bd , coming from Vic... Melbourne, you should have options. ?

MD - out of Darwin, recon your dunfor..... ( I give you a widow wave as we fly in n out Sat morning )
Jetstar had dropped their sizes real short.
Virgin, much the same.
So missing AirAsia...... could get 9'5 WP on Qantas ,Alice-Darwin, then AA Darwin-Bali rtn.

Brenno you so lucky to to not have to wait 3 months for water time.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Getting better at bigger - Smik 10' Hipster Twin Longboard" started by Brenno