Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Gong 10-0 / JL Striker 9-5

Created by dingfix > 9 months ago, 24 Dec 2017
dingfix
84 posts
24 Dec 2017 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

I recently got a great deal on a Gong NFA 10-0, so good i couldn' resist. I already have a 9-5 striker but I was looking for a more traditional longboard/noseriderider, couldn't find a JL BB in my price range.

So, figured I'd ride both and sell whichever I liked less. Unfortunately the wave gods aren't cooperating, it's been flat for months now but one has to go. Has anyone ridden both I'd appreciate your opinion, I'm leaning towards keeping the Gong. Just how similar are these two boards in the water?

Thanks.

colas
4986 posts
24 Dec 2017 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

As I said to you already:

"The NFA is clearly a very refined shape. Patrice has been tweaking it constantly for more than 10 years. This said, however, the NFA is a compromise (between a retro noserider and a modern longboard), so although it may very well be the best compromise for most people, it may not be "the best" depending on your aspirations, tastes, spots, ... This is why Gong has 7 different noserider models: NFA, Zero, Freak, Pampa, Moblog, Soul, Never Stick. ... in different constructions (WoodCKfusion, Pro, Vectornet)... hard to say one is the "best", it depends... "

I will insist on the " tweaking it constantly". The NFA shape may change slightly every three months, and the shape is also different according to the construction (the carbon versions have thinner rails, etc...). So your NFA may not be exactly the same as the next guy's.

For instance the new ones in the Wood+Cork fusion construction have the powerful tail of the Zero, and some shape difference from the NFA Bamby, as you can see in
www.gong-galaxy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126359
This is why asking questions on the Gong forum or emailing the Gong team is important, if you need detailed info on the various shapes.

Bighugg
482 posts
24 Dec 2017 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi dingfix,
what are you liking about the Gong over the Striker ?

dingfix
84 posts
24 Dec 2017 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Colas, I didn't see your reply to my message, just found it now, by which time I'd also asked the question on the forum, sorry about that, and thanks for the info, it's the Carbon vern I have.

I live somewhere you can't demo boards so I have to buy solely from reading reviews. What impressed me about the NFA 10 was watching the videos of it being ridden.

When I bought the Striker it was a come-down in volume (down to 147l) but once I rode it I thought this is still quite a big board and a little more volume than I need. It rides very well off the tail, but the nose has little rocker or kick and no concave, which isn't quite what I was expecting.

Problem is we've not had many waves this year so I'm struggling to compare the boards and I want to sell one, question is which. The Gong has thinner rails, less volume and a more advanced nose shape, so I'll probably stick with it. I might have kept the Striker too if it was significantly different to ride, but I'm not sure it will give me anything the Gong doesn't? That's why I was looking to see if anyone has ridden both. Thanks again.

colas
4986 posts
24 Dec 2017 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

mmm 147 liters is huge. If you are not a beginner anymore, you will love something with less volume. How much do you weight? At 100kg I love my 118 liters Moblog, and I had a blast on a 100 liters Soul of a friend this summer. It was quite interesting, btw, this pure single fin noserider (Soul) was incredibly loose on the wave due to the 100% carbon construction and low volume. Plus the low volume allowed to "bite" deep in the face to hold the noses without sliding.

The NFA in carbon is really enjoyable. light and responsive, and normally the carbon versions have more advanced shapes (thinner rails) than the bamboo (Bamby) versions.

dingfix
84 posts
25 Dec 2017 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Colas,
I'm 100kg, and experienced. I like some volume as its often lumpy here and even in summer the water is cold, the NFA is the lowest volume board I have owned to date (137l).

I expect I will keep the Gong, the only time I got to use it I was very impressed and if the Striker isn't sufficiently different (anyone?) then I'll sell it.
All the best.

Slab
1061 posts
25 Dec 2017 3:37AM
Thumbs Up

Going down loads in volume might give you a more chuckable board but having volume can be a good thing too. **** loads of waves, early entry and plenty stability on ****ty days. I'm on a 160 litres board and having the best time ever just now and I have tried plenty boards. My wee board is 130 litres....bang in for my abilities and waves.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Gong 10-0 / JL Striker 9-5" started by dingfix