Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Infinity RNB

Created by Souwester > 9 months ago, 13 May 2018
Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
13 May 2018 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Just got my hand on one of these bad boys, keen to get it wet but looks like Huey is playing funny buggers with me during my window of opportunity later in the week.

Anyone ridden one of these? Looks bloody fast!

This is a fair step down from the 9'5 ECS Wideboy I have been riding lately, loved the feel of quad fins so have stuck with it on this SUP.

Seeing how far I can push it - will follow this up once I have ridden it a few times.

Started on a 10'4 Jimmy Lewis, then onto a 10ft Vex, then a 9'5 Wideboy and now this weapon...

8'8 x 32 - 143L, my first sub 9ft

Frothn
46 posts
14 May 2018 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Have only heard good things about those boards and they look unreal. How many Kgs are ya ? I reckon that board will feel big pretty quick maybe should have gone down another size ?

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
14 May 2018 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

85kg's atm, its nice and wide and looks to carry the thickness a long way hence the literate I guess.

Fingers crossed it goes as good as it looks

Frothn
46 posts
14 May 2018 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

I have no doubt it will be good, I guess you don't want to go too small too quick but for your weight you could have easily went down to the 8,5 or even the 8,2 by 30. Still plenty of float and would only take a session or 2, too get used to it ???? love to hear how it goes for ya. What's your fin set up ?

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
14 May 2018 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

I have a few mates on the RNB's and they all love them, bullet proof construction and great design.

Phil

tightlines
WA, 3461 posts
14 May 2018 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet looking board, haven't tried an RNB but tried the B Line and was impressed, you're going to love it.

As others have said though you could easily have gone smaller, at 90kegs I would go the 8'2 if I was going to get one, however, there is a lot to be said for comfort.

cbigsup
454 posts
15 May 2018 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Just recently became the proud owner of an Infinity RNB 8'5" Production board.

Installed some controller style quad fins and have had several sessions in very cold water and heavy rubber.
So far so good. Stable as a Dory, fast, and it turns top to bottom well. More later when I have more time on it!??????

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
15 May 2018 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like I am onto a winner guys - really frothing to get waves on it now.

Comfort plays a big factor in the size of my boards, have always preferred comfort over performance to a degree

In saying always look forward to trying something new or different.

it is bloody light thats for sure and just has that look of a fun board to surf.

805StandUp
128 posts
16 May 2018 5:17AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely a winner! Great board and you may find yourself downsizing at some point. I weigh the same as you and tried my friend's 8'1x29x100L--super stable with parallel rails but more performance than other tomo-inspired boards because it has a bit more rocker and a more pulled in nose and tail.

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
20 May 2018 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Had my first crack at the Infinity RNB this morning! Small and fast but clean beach break waves with a couple of mates who were on 10'+ boards.

What a bloody cracker of a board, for anyone wanting to step down from a 10' or a 9' something I strongly recommend you consider one of these bad boys.

I was concerned what the 8'8 length would feel like and paddle like coming from a longer board, I should not have worried, with the volume and the width in the right places it paddles like a dream, I really noticed how the low rocker gets you into waves early, I was catching waves mates on the bigger boards were missing - was like shelling peas!

Super fast and responsive on the face, managed a few floaters and also raced through a few rip sections at top speed - quad set up is a winner on this board. Backhand was a bit difficult but keen to dial this in on some longer cleaner waves.

In between the waves it paddles around really well, I didn't want to lose the glide in going down to a smaller board, the wider nose even allowed some trimming on the face with feet up on the nose. The extent of the grip on the deck is spot on allowing some weight up front when paddling into smaller waves.

Super keen to keep trying this board in different waves, have a certain reef break in mind that I will be keen to get to and continue the review of this, even better if I could get some video to capture just how much fun this board is. If I had fun in the small beach this morning I predict it will light up in some better waves.

The walk up to the car park was a lot easier on the shoulders and the back as well, this board is extremely light but feels solid.

Absolutely Frothing!

Frothn
46 posts
21 May 2018 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Mate sounds like that boards a cracker. Nice work look forward to more reviews as you use it in other waves. Fun how are board can change everything we thought we already knew for the better Haha. Stoked for ya

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
24 May 2018 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

The Chop Test - not chopping the board wildly with a paddle but how it handles the chop.

Surfed a dumpy, straight side shore blown out beachy @ dawn this morning - any worry I had about the boards stability were finally put to rest.

Felt really comfortable out there with wobbly peaks, big rips and straight handers.

Must admit I put the board in positions I really shouldn't but what the hell, it is all good fun and when you only get a couple of time slots to surf per week you just go for it a lot more than normal!

The board took some beatings and still looks in perfect condition.

Somehow jagged a couple of clean steep faces and man did it get up and boogey when you gave it a squeeze - genuine hang on for your life moments as it rocketed through some fast sections.

Really Impressed with the versatility of the board so far, Infinity have really nailed this design!

Now for some clean overhead waves with shape...hmmmmm

fester
WA, 348 posts
25 May 2018 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Love my 8'2", first demo was in 20knts stable as, you are right quick off the mark.Rory from Next Level SUP the man to see. Enjoy mate

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
25 May 2018 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Spot on Fester - Rory @ Next Level SUP stocks the ECS & Infinity boards, paddles etc...

Good for general advice on the sport as well which is good for all the frothers out there like myself!

cbigsup
454 posts
26 May 2018 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

The 8'8" winner. The 8'2" winner. My 8'5" is also a WINNAH! That's Boston talk for winner!
Small clean stuff so far. Padfles amazingly well for a shorter board and turns easily from the tail. Am looking forward to some cleaner hollower conditions.
The young guns on their shortboards gave it the thumbs up which is always a good sign. More later when I gots more!

Jersey891
15 posts
26 May 2018 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

I had the exact same RNB- 8'8 x 32. Bough it used and ended up selling it- Was a great board but became too much volume for me. Shape was awesome.....stable as a rock. I did have an issue with the fin box- so keep an eye out.

Still ideas kicking around in my head of getting another for choppy days around 125-130l. Have a JP Surf Wide that I use now im not as thrilled with

Jersey891
15 posts
26 May 2018 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

I had the exact same RNB- 8'8 x 32. Bough it used and ended up selling it- Was a great board but became too much volume for me. Shape was awesome.....stable as a rock. I did have an issue with the fin box- so keep an eye out.

Still ideas kicking around in my head of getting another for choppy days around 125-130l. Have a JP Surf Wide that I use now im not as thrilled with

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
26 May 2018 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear everyone else reviews on this board. I love looking forward to dialling in new boards.

Volume is always my friend, I am trying shorter boards for the experience, once I find what my limit is I will be confident with my board choice.

My aim in surfing is to have fun and this board is just bloody fun to surf, put this with the way it looks and feels under the arm when carrying it well... I am achieving my aim!

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
4 Jun 2018 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from putting the RNB through its paces up north for the long weekend.

Got exactly what I asked for - clean, overhead reef break waves with little or no wind and minimal crowd.

The bigger and faster the waves the more this thing just stepped up, early mornings had high tide and it was getting into them when it was fat and then once the tide drops out and the waves start sucking up and getting bumpy it handled that with ease as well.

The break was a fair paddle out from the shore and you are copping white water most of the way, the width and volume was a real bonus in getting out and around the break.

On the face it is an absolute rocket, really started to dial in using the paddle and getting my feet right to swing it back to the foam where I was then able to find the other rail and set it up for another run down the line.

Have now had his board in onshore slop, short fast beach breaks and now clean reef breaks, I am only intermediate in experience and can see this is almost a one board quiver (almost )

The shape sure turned a few heads up there with the tail getting the most attention, when asked how the board goes the smile on my dial told the story.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
5 Jun 2018 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

Jealous, sounds awesome

cbigsup
454 posts
2 Oct 2018 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a pic of my 8'5" RNB up in Maine.

Mystery groundswell was fun.

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
5 Oct 2018 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one mate, I would love a good ground swell - Winter surf is a distant memory for me now - just as I was getting the RNB sussed on good waves as well

Eyeing off a 10fter for Summer now

cordialguy
NSW, 8 posts
9 Oct 2018 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

I have an 8'5" RNB, I am 105 kg and a reasonably proficient SUP surfer. I have pretty much given up on my other boards ( an 8'10 Sunova Flow and a 10 Sunova Style) as this does everything I could want. I live near Lennox heads/ Ballina, and find it works brilliantly in all conditions we get hereabouts.
I have it set up as a quad, and for the first few surf sessions I really didn't like it until I added a small nubster in the 5th box as the back end was a little too slippery during hard cutbacks. the addition of a small nub changed all that and allowed me to control the back of the board even at the very high speeds it reaches with the parallel outlines and huge concave.
It is very stable for my size and I think I could even go down to the 8'2".
the board is very tough, not needing rail tape and has survived many impacts and bumps that would have damaged all of my other boards.
Very hard to fault the RNB. I

cbigsup
454 posts
9 Oct 2018 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Cordialguy,
Am using the exact same setup. Works a treat as you fellas say. A buddy who knows Dave B. informs me they all are using quads as well!
Cheers.

moogengronko
75 posts
10 Oct 2018 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Ah Cordialguy.......I was wondering when you would pop your head up on this thread

For others' info, he looks more stable on this board than on his 8'10" flow

cbigsup
454 posts
11 Oct 2018 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

Controller style with a guitar pick!

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
11 Oct 2018 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

It really is a great all round board, I can vouch for the speed, it is ridiculously quick, I wound mine out on some long solid reef breaks this winter - I don't think I even found its top speed, it took me into places I should not be (dry reef sticking out!)

Love the look of the fin set up cbigsup!

What are the quads you run and where do you get the nub from?

micksmith
VIC, 1673 posts
11 Oct 2018 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Souwester said..
It really is a great all round board, I can vouch for the speed, it is ridiculously quick, I wound mine out on some long solid reef breaks this winter - I don't think I even found its top speed, it took me into places I should not be (dry reef sticking out!)

Love the look of the fin set up cbigsup!

What are the quads you run and where do you get the nub from?

I got a nubster from wetfins mate, $49 made a world of difference in overhead stuff

cbigsup
454 posts
11 Oct 2018 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Futures controller with a Mattson knub.

Mick's Aussie supplier prob better for the guitar pick.

colas
4981 posts
12 Oct 2018 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbigsup said..
Controller style with a guitar pick!

I must say Iiked the idea of the controllers: splitting a keel into 2 parts seemed logical. But I didnt like them on the water, the turns were not "right". After some experimentation with different kind of fins, I found the setup I like most for quads is actually the opposite of the controllers design: have rear fins with lots of rake, to provide control and tolerance in turns, even in turns so tight that you drift a little, kind of a very controlled release. You then play with the depth of the rear fins to give more or less hold, but keep a high rake (Al Merrick) and/or low aspect ratio (Tom Carroll).

I guess the lack of rake in the controllers rears is what make them weird to ride, and is fixed somewhat by using a nubster.

cbigsup
454 posts
12 Oct 2018 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Colas, You are a bigger guy riding tiny boards and I am a small fella on bigger boards.

I have used Gerry Lopez quads which are huge with a more traditional foil outline.

Also had two Rawson customs. Pat recommends AMT2's for his customs which are quad only.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Infinity RNB" started by Souwester