Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Infinity RNB

Created by Souwester > 9 months ago, 13 May 2018
cbigsup
454 posts
12 Oct 2018 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Colas, You are a bigger guy riding tiny boards and I am a small fella on bigger boards.

I have used Gerry Lopez quads which are huge with a more traditional foil outline.

Also had two Rawson customs. Pat recommends AMT2's for his customs which are quad only.

The controller work really well in the jucier hollow waves of Cape Cod.

I continue to be amazed by your mad skills!

cbigsup
454 posts
13 Oct 2018 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Colas, You might like these HUGE Harley Ingleby quads!

colas
4981 posts
13 Oct 2018 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I am lucky to live close to a FCS shop, that has all the FCS fins on display, that you can touch, compare, look from all the angles. Regularily I go there and spend an hour binge-enjoying some fin p*rn time :-)

I look especially at the fin profiles, as this is something never mentioned nor shown in the FCS sites, and I believe fin profile (foil) is the most underrated characteristic of a fin. I found that most FCS fins have the main width too forward, and they are not adapted to SUP surfing, where we need more carving performance at speed than the acrobatics of modern prone shortboards. The only exceptions are the Al Merricks (AM) and Jason Stevenson, they are the only fins I would recommend for SUPing in in the FCSII line. The others (Gerry Lopez, Harley Ingleby, ...) will feel lacking something in comparison. This is strange, as FCS had superb foils with the nexus line, how come they now have 95% of their fins with lackluster foils?

The rear quads are a bit less sensitive to the foil profile, so I often use specific rears: gerry lopez (symmetric foil) or Tom Carroll (low aspect ratio, small depth).I like the Harley Ingleby fronts on my long SUP, where their big size work well and you do not need speed, but I use smaller rear quads to loosen the tail. But I must say that I prefer the Al Merrick twin fronts for their better (for me) foil.

Anyways, I only use Quobba fins now. I only play fin other fins on my small wave boards, on periods less than 8s, where the lack of speed is not so detrimental, as power and acceleration can compensate.

cbigsup
454 posts
13 Oct 2018 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

The Stretch FCSII has a better foil IMO as it is not flat or 80 20.

Experimenting in my SMIK with twin tabs. My Ingleby quads are old school. Had used them in an SIC gun a while back.

How long is your longboard?

ninjatuna
194 posts
14 Oct 2018 4:10AM
Thumbs Up

you guys are killing me. I have had my brand new RNB for months now and only had it out one day in crappy thigh high beach break to just to get on it. Between my work schedule and the very few swells we have had in the SE U.S. it is still sitting pretty in my garage. Damm I need a surf trip.

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
14 Oct 2018 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Feel your pain Ninja, we had a great winter and I got used to good waves.....then it just dissapeared.

colas
4981 posts
15 Oct 2018 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbigsup said..
The Stretch FCSII has a better foil IMO as it is not flat or 80 20.

Experimenting in my SMIK with twin tabs. My Ingleby quads are old school. Had used them in an SIC gun a while back.

How long is your longboard?

My longboard is 9'3", but has a shortboard tail (a la Tomo: double diamond + slot channel), adapted to rear foot surfing. I tend to push a lot on the tails in turns on it.

I also though inside foil was very important, but not anymore since being disappointed with the FCS II Performers, which have an advanced inside foil but let down by their external main-thickness-far-forward outside foil.

dk78
141 posts
2 Nov 2018 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

I ride the 7'11" and I love it. Super fun board, stable and fast. It's perfect for our waves in Greece.
Here is a small video from the last session.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
2 Nov 2018 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Cool vid

Looks like a very nice board, and quick..

Supnorte
262 posts
3 Nov 2018 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dk78 said..
I ride the 7'11" and I love it. Super fun board, stable and fast. It's perfect for our waves in Greece.
Here is a small video from the last session.

Nice one, Dimitris!

cbigsup
454 posts
3 Nov 2018 3:51AM
Thumbs Up

Noice!

normster
NSW, 314 posts
3 Nov 2018 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

What do you weigh Dimitri ?

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
3 Nov 2018 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Love the tail slide at 25 sec, have managed that a few times myself.

Its such a fun sled to surf.

That wave looks really fun by the way

dk78
141 posts
3 Nov 2018 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
normster said..

My weight is 80kg and my height 1.85cm.

Kami
1566 posts
3 Nov 2018 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dk78 said..

normster said..

My weight is 80kg and my height 1.85cm.

You have the optimum board to fit your weight and heigh ...nice video edit, thank you. I wonder where is this spot in Greece because I would like to find some remote surfing places. You might tell me in PM, please?
About your Infinity board, I design that kind of model influenced from these Californian board looking like the one with the Jet tail. I made it to my dims which are close to yours 7'7"27" 87 liters. I will be glad to have some of your waves with it.

www.shape3d.com/Viewers/Viewer3D.aspx?Board=5052

cbigsup
454 posts
18 Nov 2018 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Couple pics on my 8'5". Water has turned. Welcome to wetsuits and chilly water.

ninjatuna
194 posts
30 Nov 2018 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

Finally got some good surf on this thing to contribute my 2 cents.

Infinity did some PVC construction production boards that were a little cheaper.

www.instagram.com/p/BiCud7Pl8k3/

I grabbed the bright white 8'2 by 125L as soon as I saw it. Me between 190-195lbs (86-88kgs) and 5'10 surfing Florida east coast stuff. I bought this back in spring and with work have missed all the swells we have had so far. I took it out in weak gutless surf about a week after I had it and it was nothing to write about.

Thanksgiving gave us some good surf and I was dying to try this thing out. I got 2 days with the first day being head to overhead and the second day only a little smaller. Short answer: I wish I would have bought one sooner and some of my other boards will definitely be up for sale soon.

Like usual, took a few minutes or so to find my balance point on the board. The swell had an offshore wind component to it which, Florida, can hold you up a little but this thing would take off. I am 4 weeks out of knee surgery too so my turns were not as aggressive as I could make them. Also the waves gave me a ton of speed too. Some of the prone surfers were even talking about having a hard time hitting the lip because of the speed they getting. This board held any line I wanted on the big faces. I was easily getting on/catching the big set waves too. On the smaller shoulder sections I could dig the board in for some harder turns if the waves did not mush out completely. Nothing like going to do a turn off the top and the wave just flattens out on you. Splash. The deck grip is pretty rough. Good for grip for riding, not good for the skin on other parts of the body. I whack the rails here and there to and I did notice some black streaks from my paddle but no chips or dings in the finish.

I have read where people have gone down drastically in size with this shape. I can easily see that after 2 surfs. I prefer the little bigger size for the waves and conditions I have where I am. If I was someplace that had glassy conditions with some power i would definitely consider a smaller version of this board.

supthecreek
2582 posts
30 Nov 2018 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ninja, good to see your post..... been a long time!
Waves sound like they were fun, I saw some pics of that swell.

dk78... nice vid.
Waves look fun in your part of Greece!

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
2 Dec 2018 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Had a super quick session this morning in side shore shore break waves - RNB just ate it up, stable enough so I could sit in amongst the break to pick off the smaller cleaner steeper waves and stuck like s**t to a blanket on the take off which allowed me to get to sections that looked like they were going to get away from me.

The Speed on takeoff of these things really has to be felt to be believed, just keeps on impressing. Yet to try it as a thruster...one day.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
4 Dec 2018 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..
I am lucky to live close to a FCS shop, that has all the FCS fins on display, that you can touch, compare, look from all the angles. Regularily I go there and spend an hour binge-enjoying some fin p*rn time :-)

I look especially at the fin profiles, as this is something never mentioned nor shown in the FCS sites, and I believe fin profile (foil) is the most underrated characteristic of a fin. I found that most FCS fins have the main width too forward, and they are not adapted to SUP surfing, where we need more carving performance at speed than the acrobatics of modern prone shortboards. The only exceptions are the Al Merricks (AM) and Jason Stevenson, they are the only fins I would recommend for SUPing in in the FCSII line. The others (Gerry Lopez, Harley Ingleby, ...) will feel lacking something in comparison. This is strange, as FCS had superb foils with the nexus line, how come they now have 95% of their fins with lackluster foils?

The rear quads are a bit less sensitive to the foil profile, so I often use specific rears: gerry lopez (symmetric foil) or Tom Carroll (low aspect ratio, small depth).I like the Harley Ingleby fronts on my long SUP, where their big size work well and you do not need speed, but I use smaller rear quads to loosen the tail. But I must say that I prefer the Al Merrick twin fronts for their better (for me) foil.

Anyways, I only use Quobba fins now. I only play fin other fins on my small wave boards, on periods less than 8s, where the lack of speed is not so detrimental, as power and acceleration can compensate.

Hi Colas
I want to ask you what do you think about the Fcs Carver fins - foils etc.?, and also I am finding the Quobba fins unreal for shortboards but not so good for a sup, feels a bit slower & stiffer maybe?:-)

colas
4981 posts
4 Dec 2018 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..
I want to ask you what do you think about the Fcs Carver fins - foils etc.?, and also I am finding the Quobba fins unreal for shortboards but not so good for a sup, feels a bit slower & stiffer maybe?:-)

I really do not like most FCS II fins foils, I feel that their foil main width is too much forward, and make the fin kind of "dead" for carving the kind of turns one does on a SUP. Maybe they work better for shortboards, with more extreme direction changes, where you need a more tolerant foil?

In the FCS II line, I only like the Al Merrick and Jason Stevenson fins: these are the only FCS II fins with the kind of foil I like. I can feel the fin really "engaging" in the water for smooth carves with this kind of foil. I spent hours in the local FCS shop comparing all FCS II foils :-) I was using performers at first, but switching to the Al Merricks was like removing some stuck weeds from my fins.

I must say I only use quobba fins now, but on a SUP they only work well at speed, so I had to change a bit the way I surf, to try to always be as fast as possible. For my boards for slow waves I use the Al Merrick and Jason Stevenson, in quad or thruster or twin + trailer depending on the mood. I have not yet decided whether I like the AM or JS best however...

What I like also with the quobba is that they are undersized at slow speed for my 100kg: so they "punish" me instantly when I do not properly set up a rail in my turns, they slide out, very didactic. But once at speed, they surprisingly hold enough for my weight.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
4 Dec 2018 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Johndesu said..

I really do not like most FCS II fins foils, I feel that their foil main width is too much forward, and make the fin kind of "dead" for carving the kind of turns one does on a SUP. Maybe they work better for shortboards, with more extreme direction changes, where you need a more tolerant foil?

In the FCS II line, I only like the Al Merrick and Jason Stevenson fins: these are the only FCS II fins with the kind of foil I like. I can feel the fin really "engaging" in the water for smooth carves with this kind of foil. I spent hours in the local FCS shop comparing all FCS II foils :-) I was using performers at first, but switching to the Al Merricks was like removing some stuck weeds from my fins.

I must say I only use quobba fins now, but on a SUP they only work well at speed, so I had to change a bit the way I surf, to try to always be as fast as possible. For my boards for slow waves I use the Al Merrick and Jason Stevenson, in quad or thruster or twin + trailer depending on the mood. I have not yet decided whether I like the AM or JS best however...

What I like also with the quobba is that they are undersized at slow speed for my 100kg: so they "punish" me instantly when I do not properly set up a rail in my turns, they slide out, very didactic. But once at speed, they surprisingly hold enough for my weight.

Yes i understand and I will now take a good look at all my fins and test them out, I just need the time and the waves to play around with them (as well as some new boards:-)

DHUPEDNORTH1
111 posts
5 Dec 2018 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Johndesu said..

I understand that the team riders are currently testing new larger quobba fins (as demanded by some pros and bigger riders). Should be available in not too distant future I imagine

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Infinity RNB" started by Souwester