Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

JP pro surf vs Fanatic allwave vs SB

Created by kruel > 9 months ago, 26 Feb 2016
kruel
3 posts
26 Feb 2016 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, first thanks for all the info in this forum...it helps me a lot...
Im looking a first surf board for mediterranean waves, i ride usually a 10" touring board, my weight is 65kg, and needs a board that allows to paddle in flat water for training.
The options are Jp pro surf 8.6, Fanatic all wave 8.6 and a Custom Sailboards tarifa 8.6 30"
Looking the shapes...is the JP more oriented to "pro" surfers and hawaian waves?
Here 3 photos to see diferents shapes...in my opinion the easiest seems the Sailboards...
Which do you think will be better for start surfing and paddling?
Thanks!!!

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Feb 2016 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Out of those board only the allwave is suitable

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
27 Feb 2016 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely not the JP.
Its a great board but it is high performance and will be very tippy.
I dont know anything about the Custom Sailboard ans so I would recommend the Allwave.

colas
4991 posts
27 Feb 2016 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kruel said..
and needs a board that allows to paddle in flat water for training.

Forget the flat water requirements. All the boards can paddle in flat water, and for training, paddling your surf SUP board is the most efficient since you become more and more familiar with it.

As other said, for the Mediterranean waves (slow: short period), you want a fast board that can capture as much wave power as possible: this means wide nose and tail, and a flat rocker. (plus it will be stabler).
Definitely nothing like the JP.
The Custom may be OK, depending on the rocker.
But the Allwave will be the best of the 3. Especially since coming from a touring 10'

kruel
3 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all....Jp is now discarded...colas...here attach 2pics to ser The diferent rockets...what do you think?
The custom is cheappest board.

Slyman
VIC, 30 posts
28 Feb 2016 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

You can't try them out first? If not:

Option 1: pick the cheapest. Since you couldn't try the other you'll never know the difference. Once you're on it for a month you'll have a good idea of what you want for your next board and will have saved the extra cash to put into it.

Option 2: pick the Allwave. It paddles fine in flat water and surfs in....all waves.

:-)

colas
4991 posts
28 Feb 2016 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hard to tell, the custom looks nice, but we cannot really see the rocker. You can see the allwave rocker with a good flat section ins the middle that will give it speed n weak waves.

However, be aware that the resale value of custom boards is quite cheap, so only consider the custom if it is MUCH cheaper than the allwave (a pity, since the custom is most probably a lot more better built than a generic production board)
From the site, http://www.sailboardstarifa.com/en/sailboardstarifa/sup-custom-boards/tipos-de-construcci%C3%B3n.html it looks like an innegra construction, which should be very good. Try to contact the factiry with the serial number to see if this custiom is close to the solo (avoid) or allwave (ok) line. But the wide tail doesn't look like the solo line.

The custom one will be more difficult (narrower nose), but will be better built, and I guess more performing (lighter), and will be harder to resell. Since you mentioned flat water (meaning you are not only focused on surf performance), I guess the Fanatic will be the best bet.

kruel
3 posts
28 Feb 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys...the sailboards tarifa is the all wave Oxi series and 250€ cheaper than the fanatic...and its lighter...its only 5.7kg...without pad and fins

flowmaster
291 posts
28 Feb 2016 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

I had the Allwave for a year and it was my windycrappychoppy board, there very stable and surf pretty good.
I used it quit a lot and it didn't even had a mark on it, no dents from the heels nothing. I can only recommend

colas
4991 posts
1 Mar 2016 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kruel said..
Thanks guys...the sailboards tarifa is the all wave Oxi series and 250€ cheaper than the fanatic...and its lighter...its only 5.7kg...without pad and fins

If you want to progress in surf, and keep the board some time, the sailboards tarifa all wave will be great. A great shape, light and strong (for a non-sandwich construction). Lighter is so great for Mediterranean waves! It will get heel dents more than the Fanatic, but it is not a real problem.

Take the Fanatic if you plan to resell it in the short/medium term, and/or will only surf casually.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"JP pro surf vs Fanatic allwave vs SB" started by kruel