Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Jimmy Lewis 8 ft 5 in Striker close to buying

Created by warwickl > 9 months ago, 15 Aug 2017
warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
15 Aug 2017 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

I have demoed it in glassy smooth very small waves and all good.
Today I surfed an earlier version of the 8 ft 11in in better surf and all good.
My birthday is close so wife needs to make a decision so what should she get me the 8 5 striker or is there something similar but better.
I have 4 SUPS of different styles including an ECS 10ft nose rider which has been my favourite for the last 12 months.
All comments appreciated.

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
15 Aug 2017 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Mate..recently got an 8'5" JL world wide - stable as and loose with quads and a darc drive 5th fin. Best set up for me so far. 88kg, 5'7 40 something. Need to surf this board rail to rail to get the best out of it, but still mega fun down the line.

riverider
TAS, 1096 posts
16 Aug 2017 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

the 8'5" striker has been my goto board for the last few months, it's a great allrounder, you can't go wrong with it.
the other day the surf was tiny, I thought I go out for half an hour for a bit of a paddle, put a 10 1/2" single fin in it for a bit of nose riding, 3 hours and 50 waves later I came in, these strikers are just so much fun

railbanger
WA, 40 posts
16 Aug 2017 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Since you already have a nose rider, I'd recommend the JL Super Frank Lean in either the 8' or 8'6" size. I've been riding the 8' model and having a blast in all conditions.

towball
4627 posts
16 Aug 2017 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
railbanger said..
Since you already have a nose rider, I'd recommend the JL Super Frank Lean in either the 8' or 8'6" size. I've been riding the 8' model and having a blast in all conditions.

I agreed , think you would find it a lot more fun , been riding 8' Super Frank for 3months now .

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
16 Aug 2017 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fepsi said..
Mate..recently got an 8'5" JL world wide - stable as and loose with quads and a darc drive 5th fin. Best set up for me so far. 88kg, 5'7 40 something. Need to surf this board rail to rail to get the best out of it, but still mega fun down the line.

Fepsi,
How would you rate the surfing skill level needed to be able to surf the WW?
Contemplating a WW or Kwad.
75kg, 5'4", 50 something.
Surfing skills nothing special...

Anyone else for comments?

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
16 Aug 2017 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

I have a JL kite surfboard (and will never sell) and had more including 9ft 1in and 8 7 kwad (hopefully specs accurate as back a bit).
All excellent for the purpose however as my skills slowly improved I found the kwad 9 1 a bit of a log compared with the 8 7. Then in time I found the 8 7 a bit caulky in balance and stalled at times compared with other SUPs I was trying.
As at today my go to board is a 10ft ECS nose rider. But wait, I have now demoed an 8 5 JL Striker plus surfed an 8 11 (early version ) yesterday.
Will now demo again the 8 5 and 8 11 Strikers next week.
Both way better in my opinion so far than Kwad.
Stay tuned as end of next week I think I may have a new SUP.
PS J L construction todate is superior and close to my Rod Hocker SUPs (rest his sole no longer availble so JL is next)

Slab
1061 posts
17 Aug 2017 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 9 5 Striker...great board but I think it suits cleaned up walls best.....not a board for choppy or messy days.

17 Aug 2017 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

I disagree Slab....they don't come much more stable....I use the 8'5 in all conditions form small to big....The 8'5 is nearly as stable as the 8'11 only less swing weight being 6 inches shorter...
Helmy, the WW is super stable and a great performance board for smaller surf...
The NEW Super Frank is also super stable & designed as a real groveller & fun board with a smaller "Thumb Squash Tail" whereas the WW is a swallow tail..
The Super Frank is a really fun board but the Striker is the most versatile board & not just a nose-rider (even though it does with ease) it's beautiful rocker & rail outline teamed up with a set up of thrusters or quads (not the 2 + 1 setup) really gives it performance with stability...

webbo100
NSW, 63 posts
17 Aug 2017 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Couldn't agree more
Love my 8.5 striker in all conditions !!

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
17 Aug 2017 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Helmy said..

Fepsi said..

Fepsi,
How would you rate the surfing skill level needed to be able to surf the WW?
Contemplating a WW or Kwad.
75kg, 5'4", 50 something.
Surfing skills nothing special...

Anyone else for comments?

Hey Helmy, slightly off-topic for the striker, but imo the ww is a fun, stable board that would be suited to the intermediate + rider. Found my ww suits a wide range of conditions - can take it out in most conditions, very stable and an easy paddle. Really easy on steep take offs and speed is excellent. I am finding that I really need to keep low, back foot as far back as possible and surf aggressively (rail to rail) to get the most out of the board. I love how stable this board is, yet can get vert/floaters relatively easy. Recommend trying a darc drive fin (5th fin) with quads Can slide the tail but has the drive of a thruster - all in one!

Slab
1061 posts
17 Aug 2017 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jimmy Lewis Boards said..
I disagree Slab....they don't come much more stable....I use the 8'5 in all conditions form small to big....The 8'5 is nearly as stable as the 8'11 only less swing weight being 6 inches shorter...
Helmy, the WW is super stable and a great performance board for smaller surf...
The NEW Super Frank is also super stable & designed as a real groveller & fun board with a smaller "Thumb Squash Tail" whereas the WW is a swallow tail..
The Super Frank is a really fun board but the Striker is the most versatile board & not just a nose-rider (even though it does with ease) it's beautiful rocker & rail outline teamed up with a set up of thrusters or quads (not the 2 + 1 setup) really gives it performance with stability...

I'm not saying the 9 5 Striker isn't stable....it is.....but the low nose rocker doesn't like taking off in lumpy, messy water. Once it is under it is not the easiest to recover and it catches often too....hence I think it is much more suited to cleaner walled up days. The shorter versions probably are easier to manage the above problem. I only use it on good days....and really like it. On messier, steeper days I actually use a 9,11 longboard but it has more rocker all over and on the nose too....never have the same issue.

27 Aug 2017 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hope you enjoy your new 8'5 Striker Warwick :)

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
28 Aug 2017 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I have a nice new shiny white Striker 8 5 - rail taped, fins fitted and leg rope.
So sorry for causing this run of high wind and out of control surf.

29 Aug 2017 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Haha yes it's your fault....Always the way with a new board...:(

windsurftom
NSW, 332 posts
30 Aug 2017 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said..
I have a 9 5 Striker...great board but I think it suits cleaned up walls best.....not a board for choppy or messy days.

did you not sell it? i saw it on facebook

Slab
1061 posts
30 Aug 2017 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurftom said..

Slab said..

did you not sell it? i saw it on facebook

I decided to keep it...too much fun on it to sell on.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Jimmy Lewis 8 ft 5 in Striker close to buying" started by warwickl