Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Kialoa gl2 first surfs

Created by Foam > 9 months ago, 17 Apr 2016
Foam
WA, 768 posts
17 Apr 2016 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Ok..

Nice contruction as usual with kialoa, paddle is very beefy at the blade/shaft join aiding in the strength of the paddle as advertised.
Round shaft is nice but hard to get use to after a oval shaft but my fingers are happy , surfing wise nice paddle but very stiff
Think steel pipe stiff..
I'm sure with time this won't be a issue as I will get use to it
My previous paddle was kialoa methane, the methane fees more predictable vs the gl2 at the moment but can't confirm till more waves have been paddled for.
Paddling for a wave the gl2 does give you confidence with it being stiff as you don't get the lag or spring of a more flexy shaft, however the gl2 seems to flutter a fair bit but again I need to adjust to it vs the methane.
I feel the gl2 needs to be surfed very short due to its stiffness
And small blade, my methane is somewhere between 2 and 3 above but the gl2 is a inch at least above that a little calculation error .
I notice the extra inch and do not like it at all especially as the shaft is so stiff.
Would I recomend the gl2 ...
I need more time to answear that but at the moment the methane is still my favourite but only because it's been my third arm for a very long time , just like a new board time on the water is needed.
As a surf spacific paddle it sure does that job being built like a brick **** house, slightly heavier than the methane and noticeable somewhat
Would I say buy one... I you want a dedicated built surf paddle yes
But being stiff you will need to get use to it it is a very different beast .
Keep in mind this is my second time out with the gl2 and my opinion is based only on that .

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Kialoa gl2 first surfs" started by Foam