Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Laird 10.6 Surfer

Created by MyLeftFoot > 9 months ago, 5 Aug 2017
MyLeftFoot
NSW, 8 posts
5 Aug 2017 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

I've just purchased a new Laird Surfer 10'6 x 30 Red Bamboo from Coastal Life in Western Australia. Damian (0419 994 100) gave me a great deal on the board and postage. The board was sent from WA to the Central Coast of NSW, and the board arrived safe and sound (great packaging).
I found the advertisement for this board on Gumtree, below is the link:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-fremantle/surfing/brand-new-10-6-laird-surfer-stand-up-paddle-board-save-550/1151004386
After surfing the board a couple of times I can recommend it as a great all round board, the board is ideal for longboard surfing and for those point breaks like Crescent Head in NSW. The board is stable, and gets onto the wave easily. Once on the wave the board glides well across the face of the wave, and when you put the back foot back it is quite easy to turn.

kitemantim
146 posts
5 Aug 2017 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Great surfing board, excels as a quad rather than thruster, just keep a eye on the construction, many of us got burnt with these.

Slack
WA, 685 posts
5 Aug 2017 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Likewise I bought a brand new one from a gumtree advert but from Dave Sewell (0400 790 028) after demoing his 9' surfer.
I have had no construction issues but I know others on this forum have, only cost $800 brand new so I didn't think it was a great risk and it is such a fun board to have in the quiver. I believe he still has 9' surfers and hybrid surfers for sale.

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
5 Aug 2017 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a 9' laird surfer from Damo in WA too (I have no connection with him and have never met him). Good to deal with, great board. Been surfing it most days for about 6 months in all sorts of conditions. Not a mark on the board, great construction.

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
5 Aug 2017 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitemantim said..
Great surfing board, excels as a quad rather than thruster, just keep a eye on the construction, many of us got burnt with these.

Works fine as a thruster. Try it with a smaller centre fin and larger sides. Also one big single works well if you need a bit more drive.

broadman
156 posts
6 Aug 2017 4:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitemantim said..

Had the same board and as you say great board too ride ,but sure did have the construction issues.

805StandUp
128 posts
6 Aug 2017 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

The Pearson 10'6x32 in Blue Bamboo is the first SUP that I learned to SUP-surf. No construction problems on mine. Amazing board and I still own it though I mostly surf a newer Laird 9'6 Surfer that I believe is shaped by Terry Chung, though it says designed by Laird Hamilton on the bottom.

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
7 Aug 2017 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

MyLeftFoot said..
I've just purchased a new Laird Surfer 10'6 x 30 Red Bamboo from Coastal Life in Western Australia. Damian (0419 994 100) gave me a great deal on the board and postage. The board was sent from WA to the Central Coast of NSW, and the board arrived safe and sound (great packaging).
I found the advertisement for this board on Gumtree, below is the link:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-fremantle/surfing/brand-new-10-6-laird-surfer-stand-up-paddle-board-save-550/1151004386
After surfing the board a couple of times I can recommend it as a great all round board, the board is ideal for longboard surfing and for those point breaks like Crescent Head in NSW. The board is stable, and gets onto the wave easily. Once on the wave the board glides well across the face of the wave, and when you put the back foot back it is quite easy to turn.

They are a fun board. If you really want it to give you a long board feel, get rid of all those fins and get a 9-10" fatboy fin. It will work a treat.
Single fin is the only way to go!!

MyLeftFoot
NSW, 8 posts
8 Aug 2017 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone for your input, I'll give the single fin a go.

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
8 Aug 2017 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Had the Laird surfer 10'6" by 32" for over two years - now surfing it as a quad - smaller fins track across shallows at half tide without worry - works really well in waves up to shoulder high with this setup - bit dodgy when it is a fat wave and overhead - hollow and overhead I cop a flogging so now use the Jimmy Lewis quad in these waves - harder to get out on though.
Steve ps absolutely thrashed this board and no construction problems

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
9 Aug 2017 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Can't see the Quad set up working that well with the 4 fins so tight and overlapping. It would have to skate and slide. I haven't tried it so can't say but surely this would go better as a 2+ 1 or just single fin , it's a big board.

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
9 Aug 2017 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Yes - that is what I meant by "a bit dodgy" - also spin out in large fat waves - great tho in smaller to tiny waves
Steve

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Laird 10.6 Surfer" started by MyLeftFoot