Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Laird surfer 8'6"

Created by rotoruasurfer > 9 months ago, 6 Mar 2019
rotoruasurfer
2 posts
6 Mar 2019 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

I have the older style Laird Surfer 9'6" x 28.75" in EPS construction. It's got a big wide nose, fairly parallel rails and nice pin tail. It surfs "long board" style nicely but with it's wide nose, flat rocker and 9'6" length I can't really get short board performance out of it. Having said that I love the board. I've owned heaps of boards and this is my favorite to date. I'm wondering about purchasing the newer shape Laird surfer in 8'6" x 29" 103 litre. Does anyone have experience with the semi-PVC boards with wider outline than the previous models... will it please me as a "short board" ???

Slatz
NSW, 181 posts
6 Mar 2019 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

You could always go the EPS 8'6" Firefish. They were around 100L and still have that nice flex you are probably after

thegreatsup
502 posts
6 Mar 2019 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

What I don't understand about the lairds (one of the main brands I haven't tried before), is that they're wide and long but yet really low volume. My jimmy lewis supertech is 8'3 x 28.5 @105l and that's supposed to be their refined shortboard model wth low rails.

the low volume but long length and width have always put me off as it's a longer and wider board to turn even if the volume is right, well that's how it looks on paper anyway. They're supposed to be quite stable for their size

Slatz
NSW, 181 posts
6 Mar 2019 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

The EPS Lairds were not wide at all.
Laird did surftech models early on - not sure of dimensions of these, but then he went out on his own and made some incredible shapes with super low and refined rails.
After a few problems with construction he changed to the construction that they are now made of which I have heard is PVC wrapped, and they went for the more beginner market with wide boards which I thought was the wrong decision as his boards are made for surfers.

The EPS boards had a great flex and surfed unreal and most of these were 28"-29"

I really think it's a pity that these boards are not on the market anymore. I'm sure they could have worked out a better construction.

colas
4986 posts
7 Mar 2019 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slatz said..
I'm sure they could have worked out a better construction.

I don't know. Most people do not imagine the huge difficulty in making production boards in significant numbers with a quality construction. It is "easy" to make 5 good boards per month, it is something else to make 500. You need to get very involved in all the details, and be ready for a constant handling of unexpected problems.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
7 Mar 2019 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Just managed to locate a Laird 9 ft Surfer, brand new and boxed in Scarborough WA ????

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
8 Mar 2019 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Slatz said..
I'm sure they could have worked out a better construction.

I don't know. Most people do not imagine the huge difficulty in making production boards in significant numbers with a quality construction. It is "easy" to make 5 good boards per month, it is something else to make 500. You need to get very involved in all the details, and be ready for a constant handling of unexpected problems.

It's not difficult to make anything in large numbers if you have the right equipment and expertise, there's been many a board made that's crap in small and large numbers.

cbigsup
454 posts
8 Mar 2019 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

A while back I ordered a Laird 9' Hybrid from Team Amazonia.

Upon delivery was now the surprised owner of an 8'5 Firefish.

Free demo! Great shape and was stable even though it was far narrower than what I was used to.

Unfortunately it was the shoddiest constructed SUP I have ever owned.

About as fragile as a "disposable" contest short board from the 80's.

Repack and return to Amazon! No more 9' Hybrids.
Full refund..

805StandUp
128 posts
8 Mar 2019 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rotoruasurfer said..
I have the older style Laird Surfer 9'6" x 28.75" in EPS construction. It's got a big wide nose, fairly parallel rails and nice pin tail. It surfs "long board" style nicely but with it's wide nose, flat rocker and 9'6" length I can't really get short board performance out of it. Having said that I love the board. I've owned heaps of boards and this is my favorite to date. I'm wondering about purchasing the newer shape Laird surfer in 8'6" x 29" 103 litre. Does anyone have experience with the semi-PVC boards with wider outline than the previous models... will it please me as a "short board" ???

I surf the new Laird Surfer 9'0x29.5 in PVC-Carbon and love it! Construction is much better than the old Pearson EPS. That said, it is still a long-board style and don't think it is a "short board"... did you think about a Surrator? That may please you more.

colas
4986 posts
8 Mar 2019 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
micksmith said..
It's not difficult to make anything in large numbers if you have the right equipment and expertise, there's been many a board made that's crap in small and large numbers.

Boards are different, as they are still made with a mostly manual process (backshaping , glassing, sanding). Your remark would be true for true "pop ups" like the rotomolded polyethylene kayaks, but not for boards!

Finding and keeping a good glasser is easy. Dozens is not the same game, especially in China where skilled workers turnover can reach ... 2 days when the demand is high.

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
8 Mar 2019 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

micksmith said..

Boards are different, as they are still made with a mostly manual process (backshaping , glassing, sanding). Your remark would be true for true "pop ups" like the rotomolded polyethylene kayaks, but not for boards!

Finding and keeping a good glasser is easy. Dozens is not the same game, especially in China where skilled workers turnover can reach ... 2 days when the demand is high.

Lets just say I don't agree

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Laird surfer 8'6"" started by rotoruasurfer