Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish Malolo SUP Foil

Created by seaFreaks > 9 months ago, 8 Jun 2017
seaFreaks
QLD, 72 posts
8 Jun 2017 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Its taking over and it looks like its here to stay. There are a number of manufactures with products on the market and the honest truth is, This is really only the first generation of foils on the Australian market!!! We have a long way to go and a lot to learn before anyone can claim that they have it 100% right. As with any product, there will at times be issues and that just cant be avoided.

What we really need to look at is, who is putting the most into there RnD rather than marketing. The Malolo foil was one of the first and it still remains the front runner in the foil game. They are available in the country... They do have the support of the brand... They do work and it is only the beginning. Im not going to say that the other manufactures are inferior or what they are doing is wrong, im just putting it out there for anyone interested in foiling that there are a lot of things to look at and consider when it comes to foils.

The other thing that we all need to be aware of is, This is not something that you can just simply try. There may be a very small percentage of people out there that will be able to just jump on and go (very very small percentage). but for the most of it, it is something that you are going to need to commit to. As the sport is growing we are seeing retailers providing lessons. Im not saying you have to go and get a lesson but it cant hurt. The best way we have found so far to begin your foil journey is behind a boat... Having time to learn how the foil responds to your movements behind a boat is a lot less critical to doing it in the line up or on a wave.

This may sound like a random rant but i just thought it was worth mentioning as the interest in this is growing at a rapid rate. I will admit and will never deny that i was hesitant at the start regarding foils and how it takes some key elements away from traditional surfing however, after experiencing my first (semi) controlled glide, Im hooked!!! the feeling is sensational.... words can not describe the feeling of just floating above the water.

If you haven't already thought about it, do yourself a favor and do so. Find someone to talk to that has experienced it and feed off there stoke!!! this is a new and exciting development in our sports and the result is, pure joy!!!

Stay stoked

colas
4993 posts
8 Jun 2017 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seaFreaks said..
This is not something that you can just simply try.

Quite true. I must say I tend to discourage people that just want to try it. If you are just trying for one hour, you are going to try to fly immediately and this is when bad falls happen. If you want to try it, plan to have some hours at it so that you can take your time learning it, especially not trying to fly on your first waves.

On the "first foil to the market" topic, I think we can all recognize Alex Aguera as one of the true pioneer of the sport, Kudos to him! Also not first on the market may mean there has been more development time...

And a word of advice: If buying a foil is expensive for you, you may want to wait a bit. Foils will evolve, it may be not wise to buy the first generation of innovative products if you do not have money to spare. But if you can afford it - knowing that reselling a foil second hand will be quite easy for some time - by all means go for it!

Gorgo
VIC, 4917 posts
8 Jun 2017 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

The other "truth" about foiling is, "Everything you think you know at the beginning will turn out to be not true once you have gained more experience."

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish Malolo SUP Foil" started by seaFreaks