Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish One or Redpaddle 12'6 Sport

Created by tmt > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2016
tmt
NSW, 7 posts
1 Feb 2016 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

Quite new to the whole sup world. I'm considering my first purchase and looking at an iSUP to start with. Been doing the research and have come to the conclusion that the Naish One 12'6" or the new Redpaddleco 12'6" Sport are two boards that would be best for me.

I'm 6'5 and about 100kg so the volume capacity is something I'm really looking at.

Wanted to get some opinions on these two boards or if there is any I've missed and should be considering. The main benefit I can see to the Redpaddleco is the ability to pump it up to 25 PSI and the RSS system for increase stability.

Reason I'm looking at iSUP over hardboard is storage and transport. I'm in a small apartment with no storage, however super close to the bay so perfect for getting out on the water.

Cheers,
T.

jojameka
VIC, 94 posts
1 Feb 2016 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

That is a no brainer. Red Paddle - superior construction , better bag , better pump, stiffer and 200 bucks cheaper than the Naish.

jojameka
VIC, 94 posts
1 Feb 2016 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Forgot to mention the Starboard 12'6 x 31" deluxe touring is now available, as is the Fanatic 12'6x 32" Air Ray Premium. Both worth a look at and both cheaper than the Naish

DavidJohn
VIC, 16088 posts
1 Feb 2016 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tmt said..
Hi all,

Quite new to the whole sup world. I'm considering my first purchase and looking at an iSUP to start with. Been doing the research and have come to the conclusion that the Naish One 12'6" or the new Redpaddleco 12'6" Sport are two boards that would be best for me.

I'm 6'5 and about 100kg so the volume capacity is something I'm really looking at.

Wanted to get some opinions on these two boards or if there is any I've missed and should be considering. The main benefit I can see to the Redpaddleco is the ability to pump it up to 25 PSI and the RSS system for increase stability.

Reason I'm looking at iSUP over hardboard is storage and transport. I'm in a small apartment with no storage, however super close to the bay so perfect for getting out on the water.

Cheers,
T.

I'm about your height and weight and IMO you'd be much better on one of these.. The 12'x34'' Glide inflatable.. [280 ltrs]

tmt
NSW, 7 posts
1 Feb 2016 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks jojameka & DavidJohn, adding to the list of considerations. How do you find that Glide DavidJohn? Only thing that worries me is the max rider weight 104kg. Any issues you've ever experienced? Other than that looks like it handles very well, good videos you've posted.

Naish seem to appeal to me from a style and quality perspective, Redpaddleco from a stiffness and ability to hold bigger weight (but may be a detriment to the riding capabilities), Fanatics also sparking the interest.

Guess it's going to come down to just choosing a board to get out on the water haha.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2097 posts
1 Feb 2016 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

I've tried most of the 12'6 inflatables on offer and bought the (earlier) 12'6 x 30" red with the RSS battens. Everyone that has ever paddled it has said "wow" (I'm about 6'2 and mid 120's). The batten system through the mid-section makes a huge difference to stiffness through the standing area and to stability. You needn't be concerned about stiffness vs ride quality - the stiffer the better. Plus they now come with the excellent 2-barrel pump and a top-notch bag with wheels.

I've had it up to 30psi and it's held, but not much advantage IMO in going over about 25/26, even for an OFB like me.

If if mine was stolen I'd buy another one.

(no affiliation with RED btw)

spirit4earth
72 posts
1 Feb 2016 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

What do you think the minimum weight for the Red 12'6 Sport would be?

Horses
QLD, 16 posts
2 Feb 2016 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2016 Starboard (www.briskites.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1853)

If you are in brisbane, you are welcome to have a go on.

tmt
NSW, 7 posts
2 Feb 2016 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks all,

Think I'm going to narrow it down to the Redpaddle, Fanatic and the Glide. The first two due to the volume and Redpaddle in particular due to the many recommendations. Working through pricing and think I'll end up with the Redpaddle.

Thanks for the offer Horses, down in Sydney. Ready to give Gunnamatta Bay a try as the first stop in Cronulla :)

tmt
NSW, 7 posts
6 Feb 2016 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Another thought, has anyone tested the JP Cruisair 11'4 or the 12?

DavidJohn
VIC, 16088 posts
6 Feb 2016 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

You're a big guy like me and IMO it's width that you need.. These inflatables are wobbly enough already without being tippy as well.. I find the 30" wide inflatables pretty tippy in any kind of chop so I'd recomend you demo before buying..

tmt
NSW, 7 posts
11 Feb 2016 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Went with the Glide, hoping it's with me by the weekend, if not next week. Will post up thoughts on the board once I give it a test run.

Thanks DJ for your help and the tips! Legend!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish One or Redpaddle 12'6 Sport" started by tmt