Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Older 8-6 JP Australia Surf verses newer version??

Created by magentawave > 9 months ago, 6 Oct 2016
magentawave
119 posts
6 Oct 2016 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

I surfed a friends 8-6 JP Australia Surf a while ago and really liked it a lot. It was the older version that has a wider nose and flatter rocker than the newer one.

QUESTION:

I was wondering if anyone has surfed BOTH versions? If so, how would you compare them for paddling and on the wave?

Almost all of my surfing is done in "normal" waves as opposed to Hawaiian juice so I'm thinking the older 8-6 Surf would paddle better because of the flatter rocker and wider nose. Would it be a mistake to buy the newer version for "normal" waves?

Thanks

bspot68
QLD, 148 posts
7 Oct 2016 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

hey i had the older board and I'm now surfing on the new one.
the newer board is a little more unstable at first but surfs a lot better with the more pulled in nose and tail.
it surfs a little closer to the 8/2 which i think they've modelled the new 8/6 off.

magentawave
119 posts
18 Oct 2016 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for replying. I don't get notifications so getting back to you late here.

I have been told that the newer Surf with narrower nose isn't as fast in normal stuff because it has a lot more rocker. What do you think?

t457118
100 posts
18 Oct 2016 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Seem to recall Piros did a video comparing these 2 boards about 9 to 12 months ago.

bspot68
QLD, 148 posts
19 Oct 2016 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
magentawave said..
Thanks for replying. I don't get notifications so getting back to you late here.

I have been told that the newer Surf with narrower nose isn't as fast in normal stuff because it has a lot more rocker. What do you think?

i don't feel its slower at all its all round a better board imo, but spend the extra and get the pro version.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Older 8-6 JP Australia Surf verses newer version??" started by magentawave