Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

PSH Wide Ripper?

Created by damo666 > 9 months ago, 31 May 2015
damo666
ACT, 160 posts
31 May 2015 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys.

I realise this is a bit of an older model, but wondering if anyone has any feedback on the PSH wide rippers?

I'm moving on from a 8'11" Allwave, and am looking for something with a little more performance but still want the stability & glide (dont we all!!). Thinking these might be a decent cheaper alternative to a Prowave/Hokua/JP Surf style board?

Does anyone that has ridden one have feedback on the weight, stablility & performance of these? I'm looking at the 9'2" x 29.5".
I'm 5'11" x 78kg. SUpping 2 years, surfed 30 +.

Cheers
Damo

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
31 May 2015 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Damo, sorry but I can't give any feedback re the psh as I'd never heard of them until I just looked them up after reading your post. They look good and remind me of my first board being a Atlantis vex profusion. It's a great board, mine is 9' that I have now downsized to a 7'11 evoke (great board and I love it) and the kids now use. Have a look at surfboard warehouse site mate as they now have the vex 2 in carbon in various sizes which looks great and might be worth a look for yourself. Don't be afraid to go smaller than 9' as at 78kgs you should have no dramas. Oh the be at 78kgs!!!
By the way, I don't work for the company but just a very happy customer after buying 3 boards from them and reckon they should get a well deserved plug as the service is outstanding! Cheers.

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
31 May 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

The PSH ripper series of boards were so far ahead of any one else at the time when they were first released in production models (8yrs ago), I bought the 9.3' x 28" ripper from AA at Balmoral paddle, only just gave it away couple months ago, Great Boards I reckon.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
31 May 2015 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

As you put it "a cheaper alternative" to the latest range of performance SUPs, I think it's a great idea. I often see them in the but and sell and consider the same thing. I say go for it

colas
4992 posts
31 May 2015 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Convex/Displacement hulls have a special feeling, you should test them before, or buy them cheap enough so you do not lose too much at resale if you do not like them.

Some will love them, some will hate them.

Did you have the opportunity to try a convex hull in your 30 years of prone surfing?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
31 May 2015 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..
Convex/Displacement hulls have a special feeling, you should test them before, or buy them cheap enough so you do not lose too much at resale if you do not like them.

Some will love them, some will hate them.

Did you have the opportunity to try a convex hull in your 30 years of prone surfing?

Colas, are you referring to the "Hull" Rippers?

wazza66
QLD, 607 posts
31 May 2015 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Great boards produced by Blaine Chambers who was shaping for C4 waterman a long time ago.

I have ridden/owned all the PSH rippers and wide rippers from 7'10 to 9'6 over the years and they were ahead of their time but I think other manufactures have caught up with different performance designs recently.

These were the first real short board shaped performance SUP 7/8 years ago.

At your size and weight there is more than enough foam for you. Tom Carroll rides Blane Chambers designed boards so go figure.

They are great boards so demo it and if you like it grab it.

colas
4992 posts
31 May 2015 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Yes, but as a generality on convex hulls: I did not ride specifically the PSH Hull Rippers.

Basically, convex hulls are easier to start going on the rail (they are statically less stable), but harder to stay there (water deflected upwards by the outside rail "suck" the outside rail back into the water).
This NOT to say that Hull Rippers are bad: the PSH boards I tried were definitely superb and refined shapes, Blane Chambers knows his craft. Just that they should surf differently from what you are used, so you may want to ride them with an open mind to understand how they work.

JohnnyMaya
196 posts
1 Jun 2015 12:27AM
Thumbs Up

Colas, i think the question comes because the topic IS NOT about the hull Ripper!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
1 Jun 2015 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JohnnyMaya said...
Colas, i think the question comes because the topic IS NOT about the hull Ripper!

Correct Johnny. Though everything Colas said about the Hull Ripper is correct too. I had one for a while and they are very unstable and have to be surfed from the tail at all times. Come forward even the slightest and they spin out.

But Damo666 is asking about the standard PSH Rippers

damo666
ACT, 160 posts
1 Jun 2015 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys - defintley talking about the 'normal' rippers with a concave bottom, not the hullish ones.

Sounds like an old second handy one is defintely worth a look - thanks again.

bigman
QLD, 226 posts
1 Jun 2015 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi damo, i used to ride the 8'6"x30 wide Ripper,which is the one pictured in my avatar. 117 litres from memory and around the 9-10 kg mark.
Was a great board, with a nice thin high performance tail and quite stable compared to the 9' Naish Hokua which i had tried before hand. I rode it as a thruster, tried quads but made it to hard to turn.

colas
4992 posts
1 Jun 2015 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Ooops, sorry, my bad!

On the "normal" PSH I rode, what I found:
- Some primary instability: i.e. the boards easily rolls on the first few degrees, then stabilizes. It is great to trigger a turn, but may surprise at first, you have to relax and learn to trust the board.
- Blanes loves staged rockers: the PSH have a very long flat section in the middle with pronounced flip & kick. So they are very fast paddling, taking off and down the line, but you really need to step on the tail to make them turn
- Be careful with the construction: early models (without the handle) were really heavy, and some bamboo boards (not all, inspect them) had a lot of delamination issues. (which is what I think made Blane stopped producing boards in Asia)

damo666
ACT, 160 posts
1 Jun 2015 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant, thanks Colas!!

RogueReef
SA, 15 posts
1 Jun 2015 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
Yes had a great run on my PSH 9'2" WR sadly now out of action.Trusty shape for steep drops with GL quads . Pretty good in windy conditions. Have a good look at the bamboo skins for delamination.

Matt

Piros
QLD, 6892 posts
3 Jun 2015 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

The 9-2 wide Ripper is a really good board my mate still has his and loves it. But at your weight you should look at the 8-6 ripper it would be perfect for you , I sold mine late last year for $500 and hard to sell at that price so sniff around around for one. PM Andrew Allen "AA" on this site Blamoral paddle sports he was the PSH dealer for Australia.

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
5 Jun 2015 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Zeusman said..

Ooops, sorry, my bad!

On the "normal" PSH I rode, what I found:
- Some primary instability: i.e. the boards easily rolls on the first few degrees, then stabilizes. It is great to trigger a turn, but may surprise at first, you have to relax and learn to trust the board.
- Blanes loves staged rockers: the PSH have a very long flat section in the middle with pronounced flip & kick. So they are very fast paddling, taking off and down the line, but you really need to step on the tail to make them turn
- Be careful with the construction: early models (without the handle) were really heavy, and some bamboo boards (not all, inspect them) had a lot of delamination issues. (which is what I think made Blane stopped producing boards in Asia)

If its still in one piece today its a keeper!
The 3% of boards that were faulty pretty much died in the first 6 months.
There are only a handful of Hull Rippers in the country with a crew of passionate supporters still riding them.
The inspiration for TC's new boards came from this design. He loved the Hull but didn't want to be restricted to only surfing off the tail.

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
5 Jun 2015 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Towny said..
The PSH ripper series of boards were so far ahead of any one else at the time when they were first released in production models (8yrs ago), I bought the 9.3' x 28" ripper from AA at Balmoral paddle, only just gave it away couple months ago, Great Boards I reckon.

YOU WHAT! Towny what were you thinking! If anyone has the original 9'3 Ripper in good nick please don't give it away - PM me.

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
5 Jun 2015 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA said...
Towny said..

YOU WHAT! Towny what were you thinking! If anyone has the original 9'3 Ripper in good nick please don't give it away - PM me.

Don't worry AA it had been to hell and back, it's been about 8 years, very waterlogged and trashed

Piros
QLD, 6892 posts
5 Jun 2015 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

You really have to give props to Blane Cambers for his boards and especially the Hull Rippers . I was fortunate enough to ride and test the whole range. It's not a board for everyone but the Hull shape can work , maybe just a touch ahead of it's time. This Video was shot 3 years ago.....

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
6 Jun 2015 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
You really have to give props to Blane Cambers for his boards and especially the Hull Rippers . I was fortunate enough to ride and test the whole range. It's not a board for everyone but the Hull shape can work , maybe just a touch ahead of it's time. This Video was shot 3 years ago.....

Totally agree Piros. Incredible mind.

hilly
WA, 7204 posts
6 Jun 2015 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Still got this one

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
6 Jun 2015 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said...
Still got this one

Oooohhh!!! Very nice Hilly. What size is it?

hilly
WA, 7204 posts
6 Jun 2015 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

10 ft custom awesome for the macking days

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"PSH Wide Ripper?" started by damo666