Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Review 9'x29 124L ONE Ocean sport

Created by cantSUPenough 22 days ago, 2 Aug 2019
cantSUPenough
VIC, 1795 posts
2 Aug 2019 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Over the last week I was lucky enough to be staying at Kirra beach and rented a board from One Ocean Sport www.oneoceansports.com/surf-sup (I paid for the board and have no affiliation).

I don't think I have seen a review of them, so after just five sessions, here's mine.

As you may have guessed from the title, I rented a 9'x29" 124L full PVC/full Carbon model. I am 100 kg and 57 yo. At my current weight, I normally ride a 9'1 Acid 125L.

I was very impressed, especially after I got the proper fins for it (at first I had plastic fins in the board - long story). I was riding some pretty full waves for some of the time, small shore-break some of the time, and for most of the time, some pretty fast, steep, almost barreling waves - you just had to turn, tuck-in, and fly down the line. For one of the sessions I was on some fun slower waves so I got to try my turns - the board does well (I am no expert, to say the least, but it did what I asked of it).

The board is fuller in the nose than the Acid, but I had no problem punching through waves on my paddle back out - it probably added to the board's stability.

For me the most impressive feature was the rails; they are nice and thin and I had no problem locking-in to the steep waves. While I was watching most of the mal riders getting munched because they could not outrun the waves, I usually had no problem at all.

Anyway, I hope that helps you if you are thinking about that board - and it is great that it is made locally.

Hoppo3228
VIC, 327 posts
2 Aug 2019 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

are you sure they are made locally?

it looks a sweet all round longboard shape and sure is light...

paul.j
QLD, 2853 posts
3 Aug 2019 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..
are you sure they are made locally?

it looks a sweet all round longboard shape and sure is light...

Boards are designed, tested and thought of all here in Currumbin but we make the boards in the Kinetic factory. We don't hide this as the quality we get from here I feel is the best in the industry and so many brands want to make their boards in thus factory but can't just shows how good these guys are.

We have still never really given the surf SUPs a good push at ONE but most people who ride them seem to really like them they are built crazy strong and even the base model is still pretty light for a well priced board.

Thanks for the review Cantsupenough, you also only rode the base PVC model the carbon is about 1kg lighter bit IMO they both surf about the same and carbon is just lighter to carry to the beach.

Cheers Jacko

cantSUPenough
VIC, 1795 posts
3 Aug 2019 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

The carbon is even lighter! The one I rented was pretty light!

That raises a question I have always wondered about. While a light board is easier to carry and easier to turn, what is it like to catch the wave and to get "drive/momentum" along the wave?

(And yes, when I said "made locally" I meant designed/sold/supported locally.)

paul.j
QLD, 2853 posts
3 Aug 2019 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
The carbon is even lighter! The one I rented was pretty light!

That raises a question I have always wondered about. While a light board is easier to carry and easier to turn, what is it like to catch the wave and to get "drive/momentum" along the wave?

(And yes, when I said "made locally" I meant designed/sold/supported locally.)

Yeah I do think super light is a bit over thought for some boards, on my small 7'8 fish I like it light but it is meant to be thrown around but when it comes to our 9 and 10ft boards I quite like the non carbon boards as I feel they drive through the turns a little nicer.

Also helps when even the cheap model is still as light as many carbon boards on the market as well I guess.

Jacko

Hoppo3228
VIC, 327 posts
3 Aug 2019 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Jacko for the clarification.

That was my understanding, designed here, made overseas. Even on the customs.

the 10'x 27" looks mint as do the little fishes.

justaddwater
NSW, 23 posts
3 Aug 2019 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..

Jacko ,kinetic factory,that's BIG,one of the other brands that post here often raves about the quality of there build for the price.I have picked up the 8.5 and was blown away with the weight and quality,plus design. Could you give us some more info on the difference in construction between Standard And carbon build. And can you get a custom kinetic build .

paul.j
QLD, 2853 posts
3 Aug 2019 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

Hoppo3228 said..

Jacko ,kinetic factory,that's BIG,one of the other brands that post here often raves about the quality of there build for the price.I have picked up the 8.5 and was blown away with the weight and quality,plus design. Could you give us some more info on the difference in construction between Standard And carbon build. And can you get a custom kinetic build .

Really standard PVC glass sandwich and carbon Sandwich are both crazy tough and besides the weight there is not much difference.

I kinda like to surf the non carbon most times as I like the feel but never complain if I have to surf the carbon either and it does feel little nicer to carry home.

justaddwater
NSW, 23 posts
3 Aug 2019 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the quick response, can you get a custom kinetic build ?

paul.j
QLD, 2853 posts
3 Aug 2019 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..
Thanks for the quick response, can you get a custom kinetic build ?

Yeah no worries, we can't do the molded PVC sandwich as a one of custom as we have to build molds so we either have to pre sell a bunch of a custom shape or we just do the custom construction which is still really good and then we can make what ever we like, we do this quite a lot.

Jacko

bobajob
QLD, 1315 posts
16 Aug 2019 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

CSU, your my weight and age plus GST, may I ask your height? The board does sound interesting but I was just wondering about the stability of it, and that you have / had no problems in that department? Was it comfortable hanging around out the back. And how was it for the the 'ol turn and go when you spot a wave and paddle for it?
Thanks.

bobajob
QLD, 1315 posts
Tuesday , 20 Aug 2019 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobajob said..
CSU, your my weight and age plus GST, may I ask your height? The board does sound interesting but I was just wondering about the stability of it, and that you have / had no problems in that department? Was it comfortable hanging around out the back. And how was it for the the 'ol turn and go when you spot a wave and paddle for it?
Thanks.

Woops - CSE

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Review 9'x29 124L ONE Ocean sport" started by cantSUPenough