Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SMIK Style Lord.... anyone surfing one?

Created by Slab > 9 months ago, 16 Jan 2017
Slab
900 posts
16 Jan 2017 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

dont really hear much on this board.....wondered if there's any feedback on them as opposed to some if the other main longboard shapes e.g. Sunova Style, Stylemaster etc. Thanks

wes Greene
VIC, 27 posts
16 Jan 2017 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hi slab

I've been on the Style Lord since last September and loving it - it's pretty much my do everything board - small waves carries speed and loose off the tail - larger stuff it holds in well (I'm about 78kgs).

The other nice things is it's prefect size for the wife to do some beginner paddling on

Disclaimer:
Haven't compared to boards you mentioned
and
I'm connected to a seller of SMIK - nalusurf.com.au in Torquay who have the full range of SMIKs for demo

Slab
900 posts
16 Jan 2017 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Wes......

Jacko94
WA, 24 posts
17 Jan 2017 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Slab,I have tried all three of the long board style SUP's mentioned above.

The Sunova Style has the cool construction in my opinion, but i'm not a massive fan of pin tails in longboards as when I longboard SUP it is usually in the smaller mush around Perth/ Cottesloe.

The Fanatic Stylemaster had nice thin rails and turned easily but I preferred the flat deck of the Style Lord to walk up and down on rather than the dome of the fanatic.

In the Long SUP Surf comp (Wedge Island Shaka) in WA last year, the Style Lord was the most popular board grabbed and borrowed due to its ease of use and performance characteristics. The conditions were waist high peeling beachies, perfect for 10'0's

Slab
900 posts
17 Jan 2017 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacko94 said..

The Sunova Style has the cool construction in my opinion, but i'm not a massive fan of pin tails in longboards as when I longboard SUP it is usually in the smaller mush around Perth/ Cottesloe.

The Fanatic Stylemaster had nice thin rails and turned easily but I preferred the flat deck of the Style Lord to walk up and down on rather than the dome of the fanatic.

In the Long SUP Surf comp (Wedge Island Shaka) in WA last year, the Style Lord was the most popular board grabbed and borrowed due to its ease of use and performance characteristics. The conditions were waist high peeling beachies, perfect for 10'0's

Thanks...useful info!

normster
NSW, 152 posts
18 Jan 2017 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

has Anyone tried the short mac ? the short longboard ?

Slab
900 posts
18 Jan 2017 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
normster said..

Not me but our UK mag has tested it.....results coming out soon but was told it is a really fast board. The swell was pretty big when it was tested and he said it was almost too fast for him.....on the edge. He reckoned for everyday smaller surf conditions it should be really good. I think he rated it up there for sure.

PeoplesChamp
52 posts
19 Jan 2017 3:26AM
Thumbs Up

Have been on the Stylemaster 10' for the past two seasons and love it. Yes it has a slightly concave deck but you get used to that very quickly and it does allow for nice thin rails which make turning easy. The 9' version I have tried and am super excited about getting in the future. Can be surfed very aggressively if you want or can also fulfill the long board style as well

CAUTION
WA, 1092 posts
19 Jan 2017 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacko94 said..

Jacko do you think the style has too much of a pulled in pin for Perth? too boggy perhaps?
Im interested in one as a second board/wife flatwater board that i can use for small mushy days round perth and when away. also considering the style lord but the sunova has won me from my speeed.

NaluSurf
VIC, 20 posts
19 Jan 2017 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said..

normster said..

Not me but our UK mag has tested it.....results coming out soon but was told it is a really fast board. The swell was pretty big when it was tested and he said it was almost too fast for him.....on the edge. He reckoned for everyday smaller surf conditions it should be really good. I think he rated it up there for sure.

The Short Mac definitely has long board in it's DNA with some good volume and flat mid rocker giving it a heap of speed. NOt really a board for big, critical (barrelling) surf unless you're a big fella (or lady) - I'd say 90 kgs plus. Under that weight and you'd be looking at a more traditional shaped board like the Spitfires.

However in everything else it's a do everything board - the speed, glide and wave catching ability is there but it's still very loose off the tail with some nice tail kick in the rocker. Perfect board in mushy surf or surf that has some sections were you need the glide to get through. 126 L and 29.5"wide with width carried through to the tail and snub nose

Hope that helps. ;)

Dack
NSW, 20 posts
20 Jan 2017 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if ECS is available over in WA, but, their Noserider 10x28.5 is a very good longboard surf sup. I surfed a 9'6" Stylemaster and it really didn't feel that great for me. The others you mentioned I have not tried. I am not employed by or work for ECS, just a punter who owns the noserider.

treatyoself
54 posts
20 Jan 2017 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dack said..
Not sure if ECS is available over in WA, but, their Noserider 10x28.5 is a very good longboard surf sup. I surfed a 9'6" Stylemaster and it really didn't feel that great for me. The others you mentioned I have not tried. I am not employed by or work for ECS, just a punter who owns the noserider.

9'6 stylemaster? Sure you are talking about the right board and not the fanatic fly? The fly comes in a 9'6 and is a much different shape than the stylemaster.

30 Jan 2017 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAUTION said..

Jacko94 said..

Jacko do you think the style has too much of a pulled in pin for Perth? too boggy perhaps?
Im interested in one as a second board/wife flatwater board that i can use for small mushy days round perth and when away. also considering the style lord but the sunova has won me from my speeed.

I like surfing off the tail and for me a squarer tail with more area feels better in the smaller stuff. The pin on the Style holds really well when up on the nose. The best thing to do would be to pop into Stand Up Surf Shop in Nth Freo where all 3 boards are on demo and try them yourself

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SMIK Style Lord.... anyone surfing one?" started by Slab