Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Slingshot Rant 9'? Anyone surf or would surf this

Created by Toddsup > 9 months ago, 17 Dec 2013
Toddsup
17 posts
17 Dec 2013 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

I like the size and 160 liters on this board for my 230 lbs but don't have a way to demo.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
18 Dec 2013 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

looks alright I reckon. Its backed by a reputable brand, bloody cheap though

Toddsup
17 posts
19 Dec 2013 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

I was concerned that the volume is high for its size and might make it corky.

boarder paul
1952 posts
12 Mar 2014 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

interesting boards any more info on stability in chop? seems very short at 8'8 vs what i ride 9'6 but i guess 32 wide is must be stable or maybe the short length might make it hard work??

Southwesterly
112 posts
13 Mar 2014 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a winner. Anyone out there surf this board yet?

Toddsup
17 posts
15 Mar 2014 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

I have surfed it. I am not totally dialed in on it yet. 3 sessions head high and barely above. Very stable paddling in chop. Breaks through white water as easy as my 10'5" wide point. Catches small waves super easy. I am sure that is because I measured 20 inch tail width from center of fin box. On head high waves the board accelerates very quickly and because of the width it likes to bounce around if there is any chop. The bottom turn is where I am not dialed in yet. Because this board is 15" shorter than my wide point I tend to get back to far and when I lift my front foot toward the rail the nose lifts and prevents my foot from moving efficiently. It carries speed easily through weak sections of the wave and gives me long rides. I think it will be a great board once I get more time on it. I have changes the fins to smaller side bites and a little bigger center and it seems to turn easier. but I need more time. It has hard rails up to about midpoint.

Toddsup
17 posts
15 Mar 2014 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

The 9' Rant is 33" wide.

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
17 Mar 2014 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Looks good. anyone selling in Oz yet?

Piros
QLD, 6892 posts
17 Mar 2014 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Is it just me or is the swallow tail not lined to the centre of the stringer in the first shot (optical illusion maybe) other than that the board looks good , nice fins.

Toddsup
17 posts
18 Mar 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Optical illusion, but it is just paint. This board has no stringer.

Toddsup
17 posts
19 Mar 2014 3:51AM
Thumbs Up

I checked again and the hardness of the rails goes well beyond midpoint.

murf
SA, 477 posts
19 Mar 2014 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chucktheskiffie said..

Looks good. anyone selling in Oz yet?

Hi chucktheskiffie

Any shop that sells Slingshot Kites should be able to get a hold of the Sups. I have not rode them yet but the build quality looks pretty good.

If you have any problems finding one let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
19 Mar 2014 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Great there is a place not far from me...

only just started sup 6 months ago but looking to go a bit shorter than my Avanti... maybe this will be the ticket...

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
16 May 2014 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Toddsup any update on this board?

Need to start looking into next summer's new toy :)

Toddsup
17 posts
20 May 2014 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

This board still makes me smile. It handles wind chopped waters well. Spins quickly to catch approaching waves and has quick acceleration dropping in. Bottom turns well now that I changed my side by side stance to more one foot back surf stance for more efficient weight transfer. Easily snakes down the line and carries good speed through weak sections of waves. This board does much better for me in waves over head and smaller. When the waves are bigger and powerful this board is a handful. (I am not experienced in big waves.) It has tucked hard rails that go way up into the nose area. If I were any lighter than my 230# I would choose the Rants little brother. But it does well for getting my large ass on a shorter shape. No issues with durability. Board has a good handle for easy grip and is balanced perfect for carrying. Is way lighter that my Starboard wide point 10 5. But I don't have a scale to weigh it.

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
20 May 2014 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the reply.... sounds good.

Murf i don't suppose you know anyone that is carrying them in oz where i can arrange a demo?

My local Slingshot distributor doesnt do them is seems...

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
20 May 2014 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sunday Surf at Henley in SA has a full range.

I got the 8'6 Space Pickle. Its a great board, Its been risen in 3-4ft and flat water. Good small all rounder.

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
4 Jun 2014 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Good looking out mate. Thanks...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Slingshot Rant 9'? Anyone surf or would surf this" started by Toddsup