Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Smik Spitfire custom 8 6 x 30

Created by hilly > 9 months ago, 22 Jul 2017
hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
22 Jul 2017 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Lucky to get a ride on Scotty's 8 6 custom based on the spitfire plane shape here www.smiksup.com/spitfire-performance at Airport Rights for a couple of hours today.
At 105kg I was at my limit on the 120ish litre board. Paddling was a lot slower than my 8 10 Speeed with more yaw however I got over that pretty quickly. Catching waves was really easy with a flatter nose entry and stability was very good for a thinish pulled in nose and tail board.
Shortboard style boards like this are about surfing and this is where the Smik really shone. I was looking for a board to throw around in up to head high waves and this board really excelled in the waves I caught at that size range. The extremely light carbon/pvc sandwich construction meant the little Spitfire was a pleasure to chuck around. Where it really excelled was it's ability to do vertical maneuvers, just flies out of a bottom turn and loves to smack the lip. Nice tail rocker contributes to the liveliness of the board.
Only negative was the fluro orange paint job. Hopefully it will grow on me as I bought it on the spot :) Will post a couple of pics when it gets to Perth.

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
22 Jul 2017 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a mint stick ..

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Aug 2017 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickChard said..
Sounds like a mint stick ..

Scotty dropped it off yeow.
Here are a few pics :)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Aug 2017 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Weighed in at 5.5kg with fins and leggy on my dodgy bathroom scales. Seriously light, I hope it handles the rough and tumble. But seeing how rough Scotty is with gear it should be fine.

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
1 Aug 2017 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking stick Hilly pls keep us up to date on sessions.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
1 Aug 2017 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board! I personally was never a fan of the JP boards (their fluoro color), but I reckon yours looks schmick (couldn't resist). Hey, check this out, your board is schmick by definition - or is that why Scotty chose those colors? Either way, they look good, and let us know how it goes. (105kg on 120L sounds challenging though...)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Aug 2017 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
Nice looking board! I personally was never a fan of the JP boards (their fluoro color), but I reckon yours looks schmick (couldn't resist). Hey, check this out, your board is schmick by definition - or is that why Scotty chose those colors? Either way, they look good, and let us know how it goes. (105kg on 120L sounds challenging though...)

Ha ha nice definition.

Not a fan of the flouro but the board rocks so it was a no brainer.

Hope to get the Soloshot 3 soon (yawn) so may get some shots :)

Slack
WA, 685 posts
2 Aug 2017 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

I recently bought this custom Smik second hand 8'2" x 28.5" litres unknown but I'm guessing about 105ish. I wanted a board to use when conditions aren't suitable for my Starboard 7'7 Pro or for when I wanted my energy to last more than 1hr .

As per Hilly's original post (that's why I posted here) I found it paddled slower and had more yaw than my other boards (7'7, JP Pro 8'6 and Laird 9') but likewise I got used to that pretty quickly. Nose is definitely more pulled in and wider midpoint than the standard spitfire (it's not a modified spitfire). Like others have said I found this board surprisingly stable for the dimensions which was a priority as smallish, flat deck and stable was high on my wish list.

At first I found it nothing special to turn but that's comparing it to the 7'7, after about 3hrs now on the board I'm getting more performance out of it which I think will increase. The board was made for an 85kg rider so I guess it's never going to go as well with me at 73kg (plus I am a lot less skilled) but then I bought it for less than perfect days so I needed it bigger than optimal. So far my initial impression is positive as it might just fit the intended slot in the quiver if not it'll be on the buy and sell, time will tell.

If you are in Perth feel free to hit me up for a demo if the dims appeal to you.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
3 Aug 2017 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking stik.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
7 Aug 2017 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Not often I get pics of me. Thanks Fester
Not quite the conditions I got the little Smik for but a few good ones between the wobble.

fester
WA, 348 posts
30 Nov 2017 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Not often I get pics of me. Thanks Fester
Not quite the conditions I got the little Smik for but a few good ones between the wobble.

Kovert
116 posts
1 Dec 2017 3:25AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got info on the Spitfire v2.0? It's on sale on the UK with the same orange and light blue paint but not on the Smik site and can't find anything other than the blurb from the importer...

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Dec 2017 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kovert said..
Anyone got info on the Spitfire v2.0? It's on sale on the UK with the same orange and light blue paint but not on the Smik site and can't find anything other than the blurb from the importer...

www.smiksup.com/contact

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
1 Dec 2017 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Kovert said..

www.smiksup.com/contact

working on a website update now:)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
4 Jan 2018 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

THe boy busted his arm mtbing so I have a cameraman :) of sorts as he is not overly keen. Got a couple of dribblers today which is what I got this board for.

fester
WA, 348 posts
5 Jan 2018 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Good shots, bet you pushed D of his bike so you had a photographer

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
5 Jan 2018 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fester said..
Good shots, bet you pushed D of his bike so you had a photographer