Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Star board 2021 pro

Created by Nerdburger 1 month ago, 10 Aug 2021
Nerdburger
NSW, 251 posts
10 Aug 2021 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Now the SB pro shapes have been out for a year now ?, any on going feedback ?, interested in 8'0" or 7'7" for a 88/90 kg bloke for east coast beachies and points ?!. Read all the posts so far, but interest in any fresh comments, as with so much volume in short shapes, is a corky feel part of the package ?, cheers

Kisutch
90 posts
10 Aug 2021 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Did you see the 2021 Supboardermag review? In a nutshell, they say it paddles like a larger board but surfs like a smaller one, more versatile than older models but worse on big/steep waves. It sounded perfect as a daily driver for the waves I surf, but I couldn't do $3k USD

supsean
149 posts
11 Aug 2021 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

agreed about the price, but apparently the pine tek is stronger and not that much heavier than the carbon.And its almost 1/2 the price.

Dakine
NSW, 13 posts
11 Aug 2021 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

Gday Nerdburger,

Ive had the 8'7" since January & I'm really digging it (im 90kg). Feels a lot smaller than the what it is (not sure how that works but...).
My local point break can have a lot of water moving around on occasion so I bought it for a bit more 'comfort' stability wise but when
i first stepped on it i was very surprised how corky it was, especially being my highest litre board. So much volume & slightly domed deck
are obvious factors here. Only took about 10 surfs to get used to it, stability not an issue for me now. Not a quad fan at all but tried them once & BINGO !! the quads have been in ever since. Personally I think Starboard have absolutely nailed this board (once u get the corkiness
dialled in). They've tried to make the '21 Pro more 'user friendly' but still a very high performance board IMO. Going back to their old PVC carbon wrap construction is SOOOO refreshing, surely one of the best constructions ever made. (Note: There are 2 carbon constructions-
'Blue Carbon Pro' (PVC wrap on Pro Models & noticeably lighter) & 'Blue Carbon' (all other models except the Pro). Might be able to see the
difference if u zoom in on the photo. (10ft Longboard @123L 'Blue Carbon' on the left & 8'7" Pro @135L 'Blue Carbon Pro' on the right). The Pro is lighter than the Longboard even though it has more volume. Reckon I could do the 8'0" but the 7'7"... no chance. (Not suggesting u couldn't though). Cheers

Nerdburger
NSW, 251 posts
11 Aug 2021 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Dakine,

Thank you for the feed back, fantastic looking boards. The pro looks good with the gold trim. I didn't know the difference in the two types of blue carbon before. I've always been weary of SB construction as I've seen some of their windsurf boards delaminate with flax balsa and eco resins etc.
Im glad they've returned to a simple proven pvc/carbon construction once again.
If I enjoy the pro 7'7" or 8'0" I'll definitely consider a long board option for the small weaker days.

Great feed back, I'm the similar weight and surf river mouth points with a lot of chop, current and back wash, so like a little more volume. I usually like 15-20 L on my weight but a performance surf shape for this reason. As SB recommends 7'7" for 85 kg and 8'0" for 95. So it looks like a board I'll have to hedge my bets on size or loose some kilos as I feel I'm between sizes

bomberdave
VIC, 311 posts
11 Aug 2021 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nerdburger said..
Dakine,

Thank you for the feed back, fantastic looking boards. The pro looks good with the gold trim. I didn't know the difference in the two types of blue carbon before. I've always been weary of SB construction as I've seen some of their windsurf boards delaminate with flax balsa and eco resins etc.
Im glad they've returned to a simple proven pvc/carbon construction once again.
If I enjoy the pro 7'7" or 8'0" I'll definitely consider a long board option for the small weaker days.

Great feed back, I'm the similar weight and surf river mouth points with a lot of chop, current and back wash, so like a little more volume. I usually like 15-20 L on my weight but a performance surf shape for this reason. As SB recommends 7'7" for 85 kg and 8'0" for 95. So it looks like a board I'll have to hedge my bets on size or loose some kilos as I feel I'm between sizes

Nerdburger, A mate who is under 90kegs bought the 8'0 and just couldnt ride it ( and he is a good SUPer)... he now owns the 9'0 and loves it in all conditions. Probably should have got the 8'7 but there were none available then... I have ridden his 9'0 and was surprised at how corky it felt. Comparing it to my 8'8 flow V2 (im 96+/-KG).... the 9'0 SB pro had better glide but I found it very corky I found the flow more stable and the flow was way better on a wave. He too felt the flow was better on a wave than his SB.

Nerdburger
NSW, 251 posts
11 Aug 2021 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Dave,

Can't ever see ever going larger than 8'5" for a sup always wanting a smaller board once surfing. Even an 8'2" sup seams huge after riding 6'2/6'6 surf boards when I feel the need to mix it up.

supsean
149 posts
12 Aug 2021 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

anybody have experience with the new PineTek construction?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Star board 2021 pro" started by Nerdburger