Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard Allstar or Naish Glide

Created by Yamba4 > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2017
Yamba4
NSW, 26 posts
23 Apr 2017 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
need some advice from this awesome forum!
Looking at buying my first cruising board, at this stage to be used in flat to choppy river conditions for fitness and training. eventually hopefully bit of ocean and ankle slappers. I'm looking at either Starby Allstar 14 foot by 27inches wide or Naish Glide 14 foot by 29 inches. I am 180cm tall weigh in at under 80kg.
If I go the Allstar should I go carbon or heavier cheaper version? If I go the Glide should I go the GS or GTW?
I've been supping now for about 6 months.
thanks in advance
Greg

mpg56
NSW, 14 posts
24 Apr 2017 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Time to get this back up the top. I would like to know peoples thoughts on this also......

Ozfabs
2 posts
24 Apr 2017 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2017 Allstar 14 x 24.5 in Starlight and love it. Im 6'2 and 80kg. Had it out surfing yesterday (2ft waves). Heaps of fun. Still very light in the new Starlight construction.
The difference between the carbon and Starlight is approx 800g and $1500.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
24 Apr 2017 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Had both except my naish glide was 12'6" x 30. The SB AS a bit light and with some speed but the Naish Glide will give you that extra stability and can handle the rougher condition for your height, weight and skill level. As Ozfabs said above about the SB AS cost for less weight ^. The Naish GS to GTW is $1000 more for less weight of ~2kg. I think either board will do the job, it's really up to your taste.

stubear
36 posts
24 Apr 2017 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

This might simply confuse you further but I was in a similar situation but was down to the 14x27 Allstar and the 14x27 Sidewinder. I ended up going the Sidewinder due to the construction, reading a stack of reviews and personal taste. I simply like the real 'minimalist' design so to speak of the Sidewinder. I never got to demo either board so basically made as informed a decision as I could.

Yamba4
NSW, 26 posts
24 Apr 2017 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Are you happy with the Sidewinder? I have also been thinking of one.

stubear
36 posts
24 Apr 2017 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't received it yet. Should be here mid to late May. Will report back then, but as I said I wasn't able to demo either board so read up, called shops and made a decision.

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
24 Apr 2017 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2017 Glide and am loving going for a paddle or catching some runners. I looked at the more expensive GTW to match my Mana GTW but decided to carry the extra weight and save $800. I am doing good long distance paddles 6-12km and she is so stable and the windage is less than last years model so cross chop is easy enough to handle. The Glide slices through chop and even when it pearls down a wave it pops straight up and your on your way.
i spoke to a few guys on the weekend who have carbon boards and yes they were faster and doing it easier but I was more stable at 29.5 wide. It's a tough board and I would say go for it unless you are flush with cash then get the GTW. As a note I spoke to one guy who has a Sunova Fast 2 which I was thinking of buying and he told me it was not as stable as he thought it would be at 29 wide, and it's $1k more expensive but a lot lighter,
So really it depends if you want to be a Cruiser or a racer because the Glide is made to cruise and because you are pushing extra weight it keeps you fitter, lol.

Yamba4
NSW, 26 posts
25 Apr 2017 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Dave, think you might have summed it up.
Race or cruise. I think the Glide has more rocker so not as fast on flat water and obviously being wider not as quick also. But everything is a trade off, what you win here you loose there, can't have it both ways!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard Allstar or Naish Glide" started by Yamba4