Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard Pro Sup 2015 - carry handle question?:-)

Created by Johndesu > 9 months ago, 16 Feb 2016
Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
16 Feb 2016 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

I recently bought a second hand carbon starboard 2015 model (its greenish with the grey & orange tail and the grey soft plastic center carry handle) from a team rider and all looks good, light board but a bit worn used etc. as expected, anyway my question is concerning the center carry handle which is soft grey plastic that is very comfy and easy to hold but appears a bit too soft / loose - is this normal or is it starting to detach itself from the board because I can pull it away from the edge/s a bit with my fingers (but it returns back to its position afterwards - so is this normal ?:-)

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
16 Feb 2016 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

I've seen this happen, I'm pretty sure the rubber is just glued to an indent moulded into the deck so it's not the handle coming out just the rubber that is glued in...take rubber out, clean up and glue back in....

colas
4986 posts
16 Feb 2016 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Just to be sure there is not a leak:
- put the board in the sun
- immediately fill the handle fully up to the pad with soapy water
- wait 2mn. If it bubbles, there is a leak

pumpjockey02
309 posts
16 Feb 2016 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have 2015 Avanti and the grey rubber is a little moveable inside the carry handle cavity. Sounds normal to me.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
17 Feb 2016 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks all - I think it is normal that there is a bit of movement present, all appears good:-)
thanks again guys :-)

Camarillo
365 posts
19 Jan 2017 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

I took out the rubber of my 2015 Starboard 8'0x29 , there are no leaks.

But now i have to glue it back in, should I use black silicone ?

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
19 Jan 2017 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

sikaflex is the go... this was a big problem with some 2015 starboards..... along with the FCS screw threads stripping with minimal pressure...aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr

colas
4986 posts
19 Jan 2017 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

I'd advise the MS/Polymer glues (Modified Silane polyether/polyurethane). Extra strong and hardens to humidity, very useful for reglueing pads. Must be spread in very thin layers(*). Keeps a bit of flexibility once cured, and use no solvents, so do not damage the glued surfaces.

They exist in all brands: (UHU Max Repair, Pattex 100%, SADER Mega Strong, ... and Sikaflex)

(*) www.adhesiveandglue.com/modified-silane.html

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
28 Jan 2017 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

I had one which had a completely loose handle you could pull out. There was no leak, no intake of water. I suggest leaving it looze so you can pull it out and drain the cavity - if you try and glue it up with any sort of silicone etc you run the risk of creating a well of water under it and adding weight to the board. I'm sure the more creative types could find a use for it.....

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard Pro Sup 2015 - carry handle question?:-)" started by Johndesu