Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova Soul 8'11. Does anyone have one

Created by Surfbeach > 9 months ago, 15 Oct 2015
Surfbeach
VIC, 4 posts
15 Oct 2015 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

I currently have a 8'10 Starboard Wide Point and at it has served me well for the past 18months considering I am 6'3 and 100Kgs, but I am looking for a step up board with some increase in performance. I have a mate who has purchased a Sunova Speed and loves it but I think the Sunova 8'11 Soul is the one for me owing to the width at almost 32''. I would love some feedback from anyone who has ridden the 8'11 Soul

Freshiesup
NSW, 27 posts
15 Oct 2015 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Surfbeach
Im 6'3 115kg and have ridden both boards and found that i liked the 8'10 Speeed over the Soul. A lot more maneuverable that generated a lot speed down the line and was surprisingly stable for the volume and width.
The Soul wasn't as responsive but was very comfy standing out the back waiting for a wave but found that the rail didnt want to bite in as much and wanted to surf flat and not on the rail.

Surfbeach
VIC, 4 posts
15 Oct 2015 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

that's what I suspected. I tried the skate and it was a pig!! so do you have speed still or are you riding soothing else?

Freshiesup
NSW, 27 posts
16 Oct 2015 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

I just got the new Sunova 10'6 Surf so have been taking that out a bit but still have the 8'10 Speeed in my quiver for the bigger days

AA
NSW, 2147 posts
17 Oct 2015 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Freshiesup said..
Hey Surfbeach
Im 6'3 115kg and have ridden both boards and found that i liked the 8'10 Speeed over the Soul. A lot more maneuverable that generated a lot speed down the line and was surprisingly stable for the volume and width.
The Soul wasn't as responsive but was very comfy standing out the back waiting for a wave but found that the rail didnt want to bite in as much and wanted to surf flat and not on the rail.

As Freshie says the SOUL is a bit more of a traditional shape.
The Speeed does seem to be the weapon of choice at the moment mainly because it blends the drive and glide of a longer board up front, but step back and the pulled in tail responds like a short board. Super versatile.
We have in Demo:
Speeed 7'11
Speeed 8'5
Speeed 8'10
Speeed 9'5
Just landed:
Speeed 8'8
Speeed 9'2
We have the 8'11 SOUL arriving in about 6 weeks.

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
17 Oct 2015 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surfbeach said...
that's what I suspected. I tried the skate and it was a pig!! so do you have speed still or are you riding soothing else?

I have just bought an 8'6 skate and 2 surfs in I am absolutely loving it, I bought it as a small wave board and it does that really well, i am 105kgs and 6'3 and the volume and stability is just perfect for me on the skate

Which size skate did you try and why didn't you like it?

Definitely get your mate to give you a few good go's on the speeed before you make any purchases

AA
NSW, 2147 posts
18 Oct 2015 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah the Skate is not for everyone. As JTM says, it is best when the waves are not powerful or sucky. It is basically a Fish and SUPER stable for its size, which is a big plus.
If you like to just step back and plant a rail the Speeed, Soul or Acid are prob the better choice.
One of the reasons for the popularity of the Speeed is it offers very good stability in a smaller board with a ripping tail hanging off the end that will handle any size!

burleighlocal
255 posts
18 Oct 2015 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

I loved the Soul and thought it was a superb board. I rode the 8.3 and until I did my shoulder was going to buy 1. However now I read so much good about the speed it's a tough decision YET the Acid also comes into play.

AA have you ridden the Acid? can you give any input on how it compares?

slugga
VIC, 159 posts
18 Oct 2015 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

I'm actually looking at the flow it's the second board in there range behind the acid the 8"6 is 30and 1/4 wide and 126L it looks like a classic shape has any one laid eyes on one

AA
NSW, 2147 posts
18 Oct 2015 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burleighlocal said..
I loved the Soul and thought it was a superb board. I rode the 8.3 and until I did my shoulder was going to buy 1. However now I read so much good about the speed it's a tough decision YET the Acid also comes into play.

AA have you ridden the Acid? can you give any input on how it compares?

Haha! The ACID is above my pay grade unfortunately. It is quite refined and really aimed at power surfing in critical waves.
I have ridden one but knew straight away that it was a bit specific for my needs. I like to go out every 2-3 weeks and feel comfortable.
if you are on your game and surf regularly the ACID could be the G-O.

When SUNOVA first came out here it was a really a choice between the ACID and the SKATE for me and neither suited my style.
The SPEEED came along and ticked all the boxes for me as an all-round short board.

The FLOW is designed to sit between the ACID and the SOUL. A little more forgiving/versatile than the ACID and more playful than the SOUL. I have ridden the 8'10 x 31 120L FLOW prototype and loved it on a wave but it was a bit low on volume and stability for its size so the 8'5-8'10 Speeeds still reign supreme for me.
If you prefer the traditional shape the FLOW I believe will be the go.
The board I tried was a prototype and I believe they are adding volume (up to 10L) to each board for production.

Tino42
85 posts
25 Oct 2015 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys. even its a Soul topic, here to confirm AA on the last comment. After testing the proto last month with all Major shops and a few guys we got the final feedback we needed to make it PERFECT even so close to the actual release!

The board went amazing once on a wave and did just what it was supposed to do, but it seemed less stable. SO....

Bert adjusted the final shape by getting almost 12-15L additional Litres out of the shapes, which now make it just what was expected. He carefully took care NOT to loose any of that performance that was already there, but adding a lot of stability. He was really happy you guys asked him to try, as he said it was actually possible!!! Good team work!
Here is the final chart. Boards are on the way to Oz ready for Christmas.

Jacy loves it already.

So much,
Tino

surfinJ
419 posts
26 Oct 2015 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Is the Surf model new? More performance then the Soul is what I've heard, it's not on the web site.

Gafas
25 posts
26 Oct 2015 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfinJ said..
Is the Surf model new? More performance then the Soul is what I've heard, it's not on the web site.

The Surf range is Sunova's take on all-round SUP's. They're available in Eco Tec and XXX Tec constructions.
You can find them on the site www.sunovasurfboards.com/product/ecotec-sup/.

Cheers,
Tiago.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova Soul 8'11. Does anyone have one" started by Surfbeach