Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova Surf 10'11 or Kruze 12'0

Created by n95girl > 9 months ago, 20 May 2017
n95girl
QLD, 11 posts
20 May 2017 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hello everyone. I bought a sunova surf xxx 10'6 x 30" x 4 3/8" 158L to learn on which is an awesome board. But it is very tippy for me when there is a bit of wind or some movement in the water and I am starting to lose confidence. I think I need more volume. I am near 100kg. I have swopped it out on a few occasions with my friends board which is a 10'5 widepoint and that is 178l. The widepoint is bearable for a time but when the wind gets up, I feel like I am going to lose balance and fall off that too. So I decided I would just go get another board and want to stick with Sunova. I wasn't sure if I should get the Surf at 10'11 34 203L or the Kruse 12'0 33 219L. I haven't tried to sup in the surf but I would like to eventually give some small (tiny) waves a go. Another concern is weight of the board and ease of getting it on and off the roof . The 10'6 surf is fine to get on and off the roof at about 10kilo. Not sure how much heavier the 10'11 surf or 12' kruze would be. The type of water I have been in and most likely to do often is Tellebudgera Creek, Buds Beach and around the Spit at the Gold Coast and the beaches at Redcliffe and Scarborough but want to get into eventually learning to surf it a little too.

Is there any advice or oppinons on these boards from people that have used them of which would suit my water style? And do you know the weight of each of these boards?
Thank you for your help. I appreciate the time you will take to read this.

Cheers

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
20 May 2017 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hey N95girl,

I'm close to 110kg and ride a custom Surf (@140L) 100% in waves. Yes it can get tippy in major chop but overall a great surfing SUP.

Volume at 158L is definately more than enough.... how long have u been SUPing? maybe you just need more time in the water?

Have you learned the correct technique also? Keeping the paddle in the water as much as you can, helps a lot when it is bumpy. Also, too many people I see paddle with straight legs (locked out knees) and they only need the slightest nudge and there in the juice.

n95girl
QLD, 11 posts
21 May 2017 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Hoppo,
I have had 2 one on one lessons with an instructor for my first two times on a SUP and then ran out and bought my first SUP. I have been in the water maybe 6 times after the lessons but not consecutively. I do have my knees slighly bent and am looking where I want to go. But definately I need way more time in the water like you say. The SUP I learnt on was a JP Fusion 10'8"x34" at nearly 200L And that felt fun to learn on. I was told I needed something a little smaller in length so looked around and bought the 10'6 Surf XXX.

I feel the 158L is achievable. I don't fall off, but i feel like I am always fighting to stay on and can't concentrate on technique or having fun. The 178L widepoint is fine but a little tippy in no wind on flat water but as soon as a boat goes past or the wind gets up I feel like I am just fighting to stay on that too. I don't have the best balance at the best of times on dry land but when the ground is moving LOL

So that brings me to thinking I should buy a SUP about the same displacement as the one I had lessons on. I want something I can enjoy a little more without having to fight and nail my way to getting my balance and feeling like I am going to fall off all the time. I am starting to not want to try anymore so before that happens, I need to get the right SUP first. And I really love the look of Sunova and the handle is awesome so hence why I felt I should get the Surf or Kruze. I would look at the 10'2 Surf but at 185lt its not much more litres than the widepoint but is wider. So the 10'11 Surf and the 12' Kruze are looking like a great learning SUP. I am keeping the 10'6 surf for when I get better balance and hopefully will be using it by summer this year.

Thanks for your reply Hoppo. Cheers.

supthecreek
2585 posts
21 May 2017 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Hi95girl
I think the ONE 10'2 x 33 (185 liters) in the Wood ECO TEC, is a great option for you to consider.
If you want a bit lighter, you can go XXX TEC, but I think the ECO will suit your needs. I have the 9'5 and love it!

At 33" wide, the 10'2 will be super stable, and still keep is very manageable for you.
I had the 10'6 Kruze and really liked it, but never saw the 12 x 33 ... that will be a very big board if you are concerned about ease of loading.

n95girl
QLD, 11 posts
21 May 2017 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Supthecreek,
I did notice there was a new boad called 'the ONE' is it like the surf replacement? I just ask that because it seems to have the exact same lenghts widths and volumes as the Surf and on the website of Sunova the Surf isn't mentioned anymore. I was thinking about the Surf 10'2 33 185L but it seemed that it was only 7 more litre volume than the widepoint I was riding at 32 width. Would 1 more inch on the width make a difference and only 7 more float? I think I should see if I can test the One and Surf at 10'2 and 10'11.

Yes I did think that about the 12' Kruze. But with that amazing handle it seemed it could be managable to carry around.
Thanks for your post. Cheers

McGuane
484 posts
21 May 2017 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Time on the water will make a huge difference too. A board that feels super tippy now, will feel sufficiently stable with practice (so long as it has a decent volume and width for your weight). I think we all fell off hundreds of extra times when we were starting out.
You are right about the fact that at a certain point, the weight of a bigger board cancels out the benefits. I had an 11'2 Naish Odysseus that was heaps of fun on the water but I fell out of love with it again every time I had to get it to my car and onto the roof.

PS... I think 'The One' is the same as the Surf? Looks like the same dimensions, etc.
https://www.surffx.com.au/product/2016-sunova-surf/
www.sunovasurfboards.com/product/ecotec-sup/

the people at Surf FX seem like a good crew to deal with. They have a few possibilities in stock (across a few brands) and can order just about anything else from the brands they deal with (JP, Sunova, etc...). Might be worth a visit and a chat when you are down that way. You might even be able to do a neat trade.

n95girl
QLD, 11 posts
21 May 2017 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks McGuane,I think you are right, that is why I will keep the 10'6 Surf for when I want to go to a smaller board and maybe might even end up on even smaller than that one day :). Good idea about having a chat to the guys at SurfFX. I bought my board from them last year.

supthecreek
2585 posts
21 May 2017 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

N95girl, the One is the exact same board as the Surf in the 9'5, 10'2 and 10'11.
Your 10'6 Surf is narrower and more performance than the others, so they took the wider ones and changed the name to "the ONE"

You asked:
" Would 1 more inch on the width make a difference and only 7 more float? "

The ONE is fuller in the nose and tail than the Widepoint.
When you add up the nose and tail width, more volume and 1" wider over all.... that adds up to a lot more stability.
I am 105 kg, plus wetsuit.......I found the 9'5 The ONE to be very stable in my winter gear, so I am confident that the 10'2 will be ok for you.

The only way to know for sure is to test them on the same day.... if you can arrange that

n95girl
QLD, 11 posts
22 May 2017 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks supthecreek. I just watched your review of the 9'5. Very intersting and a good indepth review.

McGuane
484 posts
23 May 2017 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

supthecreek said..
I think the ONE 10'2 x 33 (185 liters) in the Wood ECO TEC, is a great option for you to consider.

... And, n95girl, there's a couple of 10'2s and a 10'11 in the buy and sell at the moment (shop specials)...
www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Search/Stand-Up-Paddle/Surfing-and-Cruising-Boards?search=1iqlDeuEK6%2BGCfi%2FFGfF9w%3D%3D

P.S. There's also a really friendly SUP club up here on the Sunny Coast that welcomes new members and has regular surf sessions where they are happy to help beginners with some tips. https://sunshinecoastsup.com/index.php/training-groups-membership
(i'm not a member because i'm a grumpy old coot, but i see them smiling and enjoying themselves everywhere I go. It's rather annoying. ) They have a great Facebook page with lots of pics.
Paddling with others, especially more experienced people, really speeds up the learning process.

n95girl
QLD, 11 posts
23 May 2017 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks McGuane, That is great info. I had a look at the board link, thanks for that. awesome. I will check out facebookclub also. Thanks

PTsupER
1 posts
27 May 2017 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all - my first post on this great site - greetings from SW Portugal!

n95girl - congrats. on your first board being a Sunova! I would like to chime in here because I am also considering between these 2 boards as an "allrounder" follow-up to a Starboard inflatable (Whopper Zen 10' x 35", 200L+).
I have been at it around 6 months and your post gives me a chance to reflect on the SUP learning curve. In the beginning it is really all about balance and comfort on the board, which needs to be attained before more skills can develop.
There is a good rule of thumb that says your weight (in kg) can be multiplied x 2 to achieve an approximately appropriate volume (in L) for beginners; x 1.75 for intermediates and x 1.5 for advanced. By this metric, your JP Fusion was right on the money for you and perhaps it, or something like it, should be a consideration for some months.
So, supthecreek fits right in there too with his ONE/Surf 9'5" @160L, for an "advanced rider" (thanks, Rick, for all your great inspiration to the aspiring Sunova-ite!) - while your 10'6" should be right up your alley in 6-12 months.
The other beginning key point is paddle and stroke. Do you have a good paddle? After about 10 sessions I picked up a carbon one-piece which allowed me, for the first time to feel real power in my stroke. Suddenly, instead of feeling tired and bored after 30-45 min., I was eager to push myself a little farther each session until soon I was going out for 2+ hours/session, and in increasingly harsh conditions (I can now do 1-2 metre swell with no knock downs).
This all takes time, so give it time. Keep a log of your sessions so you can see your progress (wish I had). Watch lots of youtube videos about basic technique (NOT the beginning surf ones - until you are confident in metre swell); learn how to "step back turn"; learn how to change position on the board, using your paddle as a "third foot" at first; feel confident paddling in "surf stance" for a few strokes, then minutes or more; find enjoyment in paddling upwind in 40km (!); set increasing challenges for yourself as you gain confidence.
This is a great sport - find the synergy: that combination of board, paddle, conditions and your abilities of the moment - that make you WANT to get out as much as possible.
Above all - stay with it and have fun!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova Surf 10'11 or Kruze 12'0" started by n95girl