Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova shroom 7'3 or small speed

Created by Happyhaydo > 9 months ago, 12 Aug 2017
Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
12 Aug 2017 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi has anyone rode the smaller Sunova shrooms
7'3 or 7'6 want to buy a fun board but still want a little bit of stability. Or smaller speeds what are they like ?
Im 78kg ????

SUPbru
386 posts
13 Aug 2017 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

If your objective is to find a stable board, I'd rule out a smaller Speeed (sub-8') because they tend to be a bit tippy mainly due to the narrow width & low volume e.g. the 7'8 is 25.5" x 87L. That being said, I love my 7'11 & it certainly is a fun board

colas
4986 posts
13 Aug 2017 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

First, I want to say that I never set foot on a sunova, so my advice is a based on similar shapes, but not the actual speeed:

I think there are two kinds of stability:
[1] the one preventing you to fall while idly waiting for waves, not really focusing on keeping your balance
[2] the one preventing you to dig a rail on take off

I am not bothered by [1], as falling when nothing is happening is not bothering me, but [2] is important for me, as falling on takeoff or while setting up for one is both frustrating and dangerous.

So, if [1] is important for you, I would follow SUPbru advice. Otherwise, the wide and parallel-railed nose of the speed will provide [2], even at low volumes, so you can get a 87l board with no issues, other that it will be more tiring and paddle slower than a bigger one.... but it will help a lot in bigger and more powerful waves.

80 l however, means the board will sink under your weight plus its weight, it is another level, not so much in stability but as in "extremely tiring". I would avoid it if you are not aiming for a competitive level.

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
13 Aug 2017 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Thx guys for your help
I think the speed will be out
mainly ride beach break not always perfect waves ?? really
looking at a fun low volume square nose board for waves up to 3 foot so maybe shroom the go
just have to work out 7'3 or 7'6

jrc22ski
52 posts
14 Aug 2017 3:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Happyhaydo said..
Thx guys for your help
I think the speed will be out
mainly ride beach break not always perfect waves ?? really
looking at a fun low volume square nose board for waves up to 3 foot so maybe shroom the go
just have to work out 7'3 or 7'6

I too am about 78L and I want to go small for weak/junky days.
I just don't know ho low to go with Shroom - 7'3" or 7'6".

Don't forget the Skate - seems more versatile. Skate at 8.0 seems a bit big though.

I have been riding the 8'2" Speeed over the last 2 years.

supthecreek
2583 posts
14 Aug 2017 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Happyhaydo said..
Hi has anyone rode the smaller Sunova shrooms
7'3 or 7'6 want to buy a fun board but still want a little bit of stability. Or smaller speeds what are they like ?
Im 78kg ????

I have not.
But
I am bigger than you

At 107 kg and 69 yo, I am very comfortable on an 8'3 x 32 at 126 liters
Meaning you would be similar to me on the 7'6
If you are younger and fit, the 7'3 is not out of the question, because of so much wetted surface on the water.

Sounds like you have the perfect waves for the Shroom!

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
18 Aug 2017 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all your advice ??I've heard these shrooms ride different to boards of same style
they carve a nice turn which is why I like them , I think the 7'6 95litre would be a safe bet even though I'd really like to ride the 7.3 87litre can some one tell me is there that much difference between these boards that I would notice I have heard these boards have amazing stability and that's why you can go shorter and low volumes is this true ?

SunnyBouy
473 posts
18 Aug 2017 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

I've got an 8'3 Shroom, sadly we've had no real 2-3ft chop to play out on it yet. What I have been able to ride it on is 1-2ft random A frame type waves, and it's been quite a revelation.
Being quite wide I did find it a bit of a brute to paddle across the 5-600mtr channel we have to cross here to get to our sandbar, but once I'd done it a few times I got used to way it rode over the strong current/chop. Once out on the small waves I really didn't think it would pick them up, but it did.. all be it with a bit of effort to paddle onto the small waves. If the waves were 2ft'ish it would easily pick them up, below that and it was a hard paddle onto the small mushy waves, but to be honest that is what it's like on my other Sunovas.
I like the Shroom, it's designed for the soft mush we get here in the summer months. It's a super stable board, turns so quickly, short enough to step back and dig the rail then release the back foot and bring it back to the middle and glide, or surf stance anywhere on it.. it's quite funny, and a lot of fun.
I want to try the 7'6 really (the 8'3 is on test and I've had it about 8 weeks now) because I'm about 80kg I think the 7'6 would suit better, but.. and it's a big but.. the 8'3 is just a lot of fun.
Don't get too hung up on the deck shape, it's so intuitive to use. Surf it like you would any wave board in low chop/waves and it'll spin and carve a very neat turn, but you have to commit the rear foot I've found. Step back onto the rear rail and lean in hard, it'll then reward with grin inducing giggles. Leave your back foot in the centre of the board expecting it to turn and you will be disappointed, you need to make the effort.
I've got the board for another few weeks and hopefully take it out in some chunky junky waves, I'll post back once that's done.

I'd seek out STC' s videos on YouTube and also Australian Paddle Surf on Vimeo (Marty/Casso) because they have small Speeed and Shroom 7'6 vids..

link to Shroom 7'6..

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
18 Aug 2017 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks bro that was a great review well said that's the hardest thing is to find a demo under 8'
in Sydney might ring around

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
18 Aug 2017 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

You will need to go longer on the speed due to the narrow width but when conditions are good you will be rewarded IMHO, I can stand on the 8'2 all day at your weight, I'd try a 7'11" and drop in increments from there, for slop go the shroom.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
18 Aug 2017 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Well.. after posting that narrative and vid a few hours ago I thought I'd just get out and go surfing on the Shroom.
I went to a different beach, just along the coast. Bang on onshore 20-25knts and onshore waist high out back, very short chop (as you'd expect in onshore blowy conditions).. well it was fun, hard to paddle out into the onshore breeze, as you'd expect, plenty of waves willing to tip me up and over and sideways but the board performed very well and very stable in the crumble. It's a nice steady lump of a board to play in these sort of conditions, that's why I've got it. Most of the waves were lined up, some back wash disturbance, very crumbly, windblown yet formed.
Great fun. Bit of a buckaroo heading out, stable back foot turn for the waves, two paddles (no real need because of the wind) and whoompf, surf and carve into the beach. I would have expected the rails to grab in the confused chop but it glided through them admirably, carving a nice rail dig and then onto backfoot backside carve before the inevitable glide into the shallows.
I'm looking forward to another session in these kinda conditions, just to prove it wasn't a fluke.
Shroom 8'3 in onshore chop... pic attached..

Moguls
QLD, 3 posts
20 Aug 2017 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

I'm about the same weight as you.. about 78-80kgs. I have the 8'3 Shroom.. after having it in the surf a couple of times, it's the most stable board I've been on while waiting for waves.. I probably went too big, but have only ridden longboard style SUPs previously. I reckon I could definitely go the 7'6, 7'9.. but have yet to come across any. Will probably look at going smaller in the near future. I'm a massive fan of the shape!

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
20 Aug 2017 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

That's what I was thinking cause I'm light I don't want to go to big
want to really feel this board on the wave ?? nice to see so many
feed backs , getting prices now ????

SunnyBouy
473 posts
20 Aug 2017 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Another early dawn session on the 8'3 in 2ft small lines, no wind!! Nice, but now I'm definitely thinking it's too big for me. Stable and a little "wooden" but still fun, short stabby turns and easy to catch these little 2fters that have a bit of push under them.

I'm definitely going to check out the 7'9 or 7'6 and then I'll know which one to buy...

Loving the shape and style of waves it's designed for, it's a great deal of fun.

I ought to add I'm a Sunova fanboy, I've also got a 8'10 Speeed and an 8'7 Flow. You may ask "why another board", yeah I don't know why either, but I'm definitely liking the Shroom, but a smaller one.

LastSupper
VIC, 360 posts
20 Aug 2017 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Just had my 3rd surf on the 7,11 speed 2+feet ! choppy ! water temp 12 more rubber on than the michellan man 70 kg and still rippin in my own lunch time !!!

supthecreek
2583 posts
20 Aug 2017 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Yup.... I'm on an 8'3 Shroom...... and I weigh 108 kg
so you can all go smaller

Sunova Team Rider, fanboy.

Moguls
QLD, 3 posts
21 Aug 2017 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
Yup.... I'm on an 8'3 Shroom...... and I weigh 108 kg
so you can all go smaller

Sunova Team Rider, fanboy.

Havent seen many of the smaller shrooms in Aus.. maybe it's cus I'm a tightarse and I buy ex demos ??

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
3 Dec 2017 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys anyone tried the sunova 7,9 shroom
Has anyone been riding these boards can you do a little review for me

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
5 Dec 2017 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

We have the 8'3 and the 7'3 86L SUNOVA Shroom in Demo

SunnyBouy
473 posts
5 Dec 2017 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

I've had a short session on a 7'9 Shroom in sloppy chop waist high onshore crumble, and it chucked me off a lot. But... but I've an 8'0 on test and I've my own 8'3 which is hilarious fun.
The 8'0 I don't think is too different than a 7'9, and I get on with that ok, but really I can't give any reviews on the smaller shrooms because I've not been able to use them at my local spots yet.
The 8'3 is however a cracking play tool.

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
6 Dec 2017 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

Sunovabouy, My 8'10" Speeed is [for me] a real challenge in chop and crap but it's forgiving in late take-offs on decent waves. I've never nose-dived on it. My question is, how does this compare to the Shroom as I understand the Shroom has much less rocker than the Speeed. [I'm asking because I'm thinking of selling the Speeed for something more stable and "fun" in all conditions]

SunnyBouy
473 posts
6 Dec 2017 6:17AM
Thumbs Up

Well, as you may have read my quiver is varied (8'7 Flow, 8'10 Speeed and 8'3 Shroom)
The first Board from Sunova I bought was the Speeed. I'd never ridden a Speeed before and didn't try it before buying it. It came recommended for me by a great guy I know who brings them into the U.K. (standuppaddleboarder.co.uk) he said "you'll love it for the drive and it's ability to catch waves" I took one look at it in its wrapper and then bought it.. then did masses of research on it via STC and his opinion to me is the highest, he knows his stuff, no question. So I watched videos and looked at pics and then went out on it.. and it chucked me off. And again, and again, and again, and I got a little cheesed off.. so I decided I needed to find out about the Board in flat water conditions first.. so I practised turns, balance points, nose dives, tail spins and general handling in flat water, then chop then waves.. I learned the board before I took it out in waves.. it still threw me off, and for about a month in cross chop or rip it would send me into the drink.. yeah I got cheesed off, but I continued and learned to paddle out surf stance and set myself up and keep moving and it came together.. stay stationary and it'll chuck you off if you don't brace or keep moving, but that's all fine once you learn it's foibles. Why am I writing all this? Well I say learn your Speeed before selling it, take some time out to understand it's balance points first..
So, The Shroom.. it's hilarious. What can I say.. does it flatter me, yes no doubt about that, does it surf mushy crumble and make the best of shin/waist high cross chop or onshore mush fun.. oh yes it does. Is it stable and will turn off the tail, yes it does all of this.. does it like sucky hollow waves..nope.. it hates these.. it's designed to perform in humpy mush beach breaks or random A frame crumble up to waist high.. and that's why I bought it.. my conditions are not Indo clean glassy double overhead.. my conditions are cross on/off, side on chop or onshore chop and it loves this stuff.. even windy 20knts onshore white Water it'll pick up the ramps. How did I get to learn the board? I did what I always do and flat water training on it, same as the Speeed. I got to learn it's foibles before taking it in the waves, but when I did it was easier to catch waves than the Speeed.. now that's just my opinion, but the board is so balanced and fat and short that it will just hang around waiting for you to decide on what waves your going to catch, not throw you off whilst you trip over your front foot.. ignore the deck shape, so much is made of this that it's a distraction.. you simply place your feet where you want them to go and drive the Board as you would any other, the benefit of the Shroom is it's short fat plan shape in that it will turn and dig into those white water crumbles and literally make you giggle..
But I have to say, if you get the opportunity to try a DEEP Minion I'm sure you'll get a very similar feeling, I'm itching to get hold of a Minion but no one I know has one and they don't bring them into the U.K. sadly.

Whilst I am a Sunova fan, I'm pretty sure if Infinity or DEEP were over here I'd have varied my quiver, but as it is I'm very happy with Sunova.

Does that help? Bit wordy isn't it..

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
6 Dec 2017 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

There is no point comparing the Shroom and the Speed they are both from very different planets . The Flow 8-1 and the Speed 8-2 both just over the 100 litre mark these are probably better for you to consider at your size and weight. Two great boards and the Shroom performance wise doesn't come anywhere near either of them.

Although the speeds are good boards the Flows for me personally are the best in the range so definitely recommend you add the Flow to your demo list.

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
7 Dec 2017 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

Many thanks Sunovabouy. Great advice and not too wordy at all. I've spent quite a bit of time on my Speeed but obviously not enough to get the full benefits. I'll try to demo a Deep minion as there are a few around my area {South Coast of NSW]
Cheers mate.

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
7 Dec 2017 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the honest reviews and opinions they all really help.
the waves I ride are beach breaks that is more bumpy than glassy
So I'm honest with myself that I do need litres and a bit of width on my boards . So I stick to 30 plus which makes for a enjoyable surf with fun
if I surfed glassy I'd probably ride a 29 inch board . My current board is 8.5 flow that's 31 and 122 litres great board very fast and likes thruster set up , I've learnt you surf what suits you and the waves that you get
I don't care about trends it's all about wave count and fun . I've just sent
my local sup shop at Cronulla my order for sunova shroom 7,9
still 30 wide 104.5 litres super keen to try this out and add it to the quiver sounds like a really fun board . I will definitely give you my review so it helps someone else ??

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
8 Dec 2017 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Happyhaydo , I'm looking forward to reading your review of the Shroom. At 70 yrs of age I think my next Sup will be close to my last. [Nothing morbid or pessimistic here. I'm fit and well but realistic enough to know that Mr G. Reaper will knock on my door before any 40 yr old.] And I want my next Sup to be about catching more waves and having fun...not wobbling around getting frustrated. Cheers.

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
8 Dec 2017 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Would love to read you're review of the 7'9 Haydo. I assume you SUS in Cronulla area? Similar here. I have Speeed 88 and find it difficult when it's windy or bumpy . To be honest I'm mainly use it in Bay Surf say 70% of time and it's super
finnout there. I think Shroom would be ideal in mushy North Cronulla surf

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova shroom 7'3 or small speed" started by Happyhaydo