Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Which board? Starboard, Fanatic or JP?

Created by diceman > 9 months ago, 29 Aug 2018
diceman
22 posts
29 Aug 2018 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All, intelligent, critical SUPers....

i am a 65 year old , 6-2"" and 98 kgs on a good day. I have years of sup behind me on all sorts of boards. My current board is a 9-11 Jimmy Lewis Kwad, awesome board. I am a snob..I love Hawaiin boards with experienced shapers behind them.

i am tossing up several boards :

Starboard 9-5 widepoint
JP Surf wide body 9- something
Fanatic Allwave 9-4
Maybe I would mention Sunova Speed of a similar length.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...I have a slight bias towards the Allwave for its 170 odd litres - which I find a comfortable volume in me old age...

Much thanks in anticipation...

Diceman

colas
4986 posts
29 Aug 2018 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Where are you based? There are plenty of other Australian shapers, as least as experienced and talented than the brands you mentioned: Sunova. Smik, Deep, ...

exiled
362 posts
29 Aug 2018 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

The Speeed is kinda the odd board out in that line up. Very different shape than the others you mentioned. I'm not sure that any of those boards would really give you anything on the JL board. They will all probably be a little slower on the wave but turn better from the tail, but not wildly so. What are you hoping to gain here?

diceman
22 posts
30 Aug 2018 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, many thanks for replies...

im based at Mt Maunganui, NZ. Our own little version of Gold Coast...boards are crazy expensive here!
I love my Jimmy Lewis but I've thrashed it to hell and just feel like a change. I would like a lighter board without losing JLs amazing durability...

diceman
22 posts
30 Aug 2018 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Also, I had a Deep longboard style board and loved it but it wasn't solid...I was getting pressure dents from kneeling part of the time.

Emeboy
NSW, 399 posts
30 Aug 2018 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

I have a shorter Allwave and it is a great board... I recon it would be a good match for the wave type at the mount. Have used but never owned a JL board (Kwad and Worlwide) and it is easy to tell they are rock solid.... I would like to give the Super Frank a go as I reckon that would be a great board in a wide variety of surf types....

Traff
SA, 118 posts
30 Aug 2018 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
diceman said..
Also, I had a Deep longboard style board and loved it but it wasn't solid...I was getting pressure dents from kneeling part of the time.

Have a talk to Simon at DEEP if you like the boards because he is making some with a new construction which is more durable as well as more enviro friendly.

brown
WA, 24 posts
31 Aug 2018 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

If its any help, i have a 9 5 whopper and an 8 8 jp widebody, i seem to keep going the whopper .

FRP
491 posts
31 Aug 2018 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Diceman

It is always a bit daunting to be looking for a new board. I am 63 y and you have a few kg on me with respect to weight. I have owned a whopper and think it is a great board to start out in the surf on but you should be able to find a board that will work a bit better in the waves. You mentioned a larger Speeed. I have three Sunova and the Speeed is the board I keep going back to. There must be someone in NZ that can let you go for a surf on their bigger Speeed? Demo if you can.....one of the best ways to get a small idea of if the board will work for you in the conditions that you go out in.

Good luck!

Bob

diceman
22 posts
31 Aug 2018 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Guys, terrific comments, very thought provoking...thanks!

diceman
22 posts
31 Aug 2018 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Comment on Deep is intriguing because I do like those boards...

colas
4986 posts
31 Aug 2018 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
diceman said..

kneeling will dent normal boards, even PVC sandwich ones. If you kneel you must shop for ultra-reinforced decks if you want to avoid dents.

diceman
22 posts
1 Sep 2018 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Yep I take your point on decks Colas....I've been spoiled by JL . They are so incredibly strong.

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
1 Sep 2018 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

There seem to be no comments on the Starboard Widepoint. Does anyone have any experience with this series? Are they any good.?I'm hoping to test drive one in November but would like any info from those who know. Cheers.

exiled
362 posts
1 Sep 2018 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

I owned an 8'2 wide point for years. Most durable board I have ever owned and great fun of sloppy waves. When it was clean and steep it felt too wide though.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Which board? Starboard, Fanatic or JP?" started by diceman