Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

rip curl search gps watch

Created by Supmaori > 9 months ago, 6 Apr 2015
Supmaori
746 posts
6 Apr 2015 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys..thinking of getting ones of these babies for loading sup surf sessions.Seems like a great little device that lets you download your surf info..and look at data . Anyone tried them or has any feedback about performance, issues etc..cheers

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
6 Apr 2015 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

I have one and I would recommend it. It does a good job of recording exactly where you surfed, how many waves you caught, and your fastest wave. When I catch a good wave I will look to see if it is my fastest. (But I swear it gets it wrong sometimes - you have to ride fast for more than a few seconds - a late drop won't necessarily be recorded.) I also like having a record of all my sessions on their site. You can leave notes on the site so you can remember the conditions, etc. And, as a bonus, it tells you what time it is!

Obviously an indulgence but fun all the same.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
6 Apr 2015 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Couple more points. It is very light. I was surprised how light it was and you don't know you're wearing it. The rubber watch band seems to grip pretty well, and the strap locks away securely. On Saturday I went out in pretty crappy conditions, but they got better and better. Ended up with 42 waves in 3 hours. I would never have guessed it was that many waves. Do you really need to know? Probably not but I like to know anyway.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
6 Apr 2015 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone used one for distance paddling? And anyone used it for a run on land? Or is it no good for that ?

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
6 Apr 2015 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't, but it records all of your movements - total distance and the exact path you took.

You can see in the image below how it records your path in addition to the waves. The only unfortunate fact is that it will try to interpret your movements as if you are surfing. To get to the break below I walk around 800m. If I turn on the watch and run some of the way it will record it as waves caught (but you can remove them later).

Supmaori
746 posts
6 Apr 2015 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate for that feedback..can your install your own surf beach tides on the watch like other surf tide watches. What normal watch functions does it have?
Thanks

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
6 Apr 2015 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

It has a database of tide locations thru MSW, but I believe you can enter your own. They have a pretty good help section on their Web site: http://searchgps-help.ripcurl.com/ and you can get the manual here: searchgps.ripcurl.com/documents/14_SearchGPS_QuickStartGuide.pdf It also has a timer function (e.g. count down from 30 minutes - I use it when swimming laps) and an alarm function. It can get the time from the satellites.

Supmaori
746 posts
6 Apr 2015 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again mate..I'm on Android which doesn't support app as yet..but my understanding is you can download app to laptop and load data from there? Cheers thanks for help

TalkToMe
QLD, 118 posts
6 Apr 2015 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

How does it know that you are on a wave and also when your ride has finished? Perhaps by the acceleration in your speed maybe.

Amazing what technology can do hey?

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
6 Apr 2015 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supmaori said..
Thanks again mate..I'm on Android which doesn't support app as yet..but my understanding is you can download app to laptop and load data from there? Cheers thanks for help

Yes, I use my laptop most of the time - and it is very easy and fast.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
6 Apr 2015 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TalkToMe said..
How does it know that you are on a wave and also when your ride has finished? Perhaps by the acceleration in your speed maybe.

Amazing what technology can do hey?

Apparently it is a combination of the accelerometer and GPS readings. It seems to work pretty well. (But if you wear it running on the beach - in surf mode - or if you flub the take off and get dragged along it doesn't know the difference.)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"rip curl search gps watch" started by Supmaori