Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

100% local components and build cost ?

Created by Bighugg Two weeks ago, 14 May 2020
Bighugg
NT, 402 posts
14 May 2020 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Like some of you I am not happy with the ongoing Wuhan Loss of Income period we a going through.
So I am asking a board WHAT IF question,
re getting a Sup made locally ...
as to availability of 100% local made components, process products and build in your country . Can it be done ? And at what local cost ?

DaveSandan
VIC, 944 posts
15 May 2020 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

I think Surefire is all local in NSW? Maybe DEEP in QLD not sure about that one.

Souwester
WA, 1045 posts
15 May 2020 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Would be an interesting little fact find, how much to buy everything local, local labour to finish, add mark up that covers overhead costs etc.. have always had a lot of respect for the guys that do it locally, IMO they are usually elite at what they do and that is how they have survived.

Not saying boards that come out of other countries are all bad just that in my experience a locally made product is something special.

Nlakes
QLD, 18 posts
15 May 2020 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Absolutely ! local legend Dale Chapman has been producing top quality locally crafted boards of all shapes and sizes on the gold coast for years . dcpaddleboards.com.au/

kev7
WA, 120 posts
15 May 2020 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

ocean merchants in cottesloe perth quality made sup,s I have no affiliation with them .They used to be indian ocean sups worth checking out .
cheers

colas
3835 posts
15 May 2020 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
as to availability of 100% local made components, process products and build in your country . Can it be done ? And at what local cost ?

It can be done in France, as we have still a bit of chemical industry, so we have locally produced high quality resins (Sicomin) and glass and carbon cloth. Gong even make its Chinese factories use biosourced French Sicomin resins and German carbon cloths for its pro line. The foam blanks are an issue, but Gong co-created a Portugese factory which produced blanks while obeying all the EU stringent worker safety environment regulations, so it can be done. Gong is now building a new big factory center near its HQ, so there is still hope.

The issue for France is finding a factory willing to produce a high number of boards. It is easy to produce boards on a small scale (~ten boards a week), plenty of small manufacturers exist, with some quite innovative such as
Notox www.sicomin.com/case-studies/sicomin-and-notox-surfboards
Black Local infusion: blacklocal.com/construction/
For instance, it is easier to weather bad spells if you have not a lot of regular employees, as co-founders can take pay cuts in small structures.

But it is impossible to find a factory in France willing to tackle the challenge of making a huge number of boards. Gong has contacted more than a hundred... I guess the various French governments, like most other EU ones but unlike Germany, considered that manufacturing things was a thing of the past and should be left to China, so there is no help for them. They even left the last French mask-producing factory die last year...

Bighugg
NT, 402 posts
17 May 2020 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Yes there are a lot of associated factors and ingredients that go into a board. I suppose another question is would people be prepared to pay the Price of 100% local production boards ?

Souwester
WA, 1045 posts
17 May 2020 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
Yes there are a lot of associated factors and ingredients that go into a board. I suppose another question is would people be prepared to pay the Price of 100% local production boards ?

Spot on and I would like to know what that figure would be. If it was within reason and top quality I would for sure. If it's just not possible then so be it.

Kami
1479 posts
17 May 2020 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..

Many different ingredients go into a board as it been done by the big brands. BUT If you are building SUP board as surfboard is with a bit more stuff on the deck to reinforce it, the traditional laminating build should coast a bit more than a longboard. Marko and US blanks ( and probably others foam blowers) are doing EPS plugs at are affordable prices.

colas
3835 posts
18 May 2020 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Souwester said..
Spot on and I would like to know what that figure would be. If it was within reason and top quality I would for sure. If it's just not possible then so be it.

In France, it is about 2.5 times the price of a similar production board made in China.

Souwester
WA, 1045 posts
18 May 2020 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Makes sense Colas, the cheaper end of production boards out of China about 1k so a local made would be 2.5-3k?

If I could I would!

colas
3835 posts
18 May 2020 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, for a full PVC 8'4" glass sandwich board, direct sale (no shop margin), Gong is 770 euros and a Black Local 1880 for a production model, but with still a few non-local materials (blanks, I don't know about the glass, but their resin and PVC is from UK, so basically local).

suprider206
NSW, 22 posts
21 May 2020 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Dale Chapman (DC) gold coast, custom 9 foot 6 designed and shaped locally $2k

nosaj27
QLD, 271 posts
21 May 2020 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of years ago I bought a full carbon custom race board designed, shaped and glassed by Dale Chapman on the Gold Coast and it was cheaper than brand name production boards at the time. Build quality is great, Dale is an awesome guy to deal with and listened to what I was asking for and designed the board to suit. I still have the board and it doesn't have a single ding in after 3-4 years.

kev7
WA, 120 posts
22 May 2020 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

FxxxK CHINA

lukemin
WA, 60 posts
22 May 2020 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

I could build a epoxy balsa EPS sandwich construction SUP for $2200ish sell price,but probably not as a viable business

Chuck46
NSW, 1 posts
23 May 2020 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Whatever you do make sure it is not "Made in China" Preferably Australia, then anywhere but China.

Macaha
QLD, 20670 posts
23 May 2020 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
Like some of you I am not happy with the ongoing Wuhan Loss of Income period we a going through.
So I am asking a board WHAT IF question,
re getting a Sup made locally ...

As far as components go contact Peter @pietersurfboards via instagram he is located around Newcastle I believe.
He gets all his fins,,fin boxes and plugs made here in Australia, makes quality surfboards not sup's but knows where to source raw materials which are produced here.

micksmith
VIC, 1397 posts
23 May 2020 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chuckee said..
Whatever you do make sure it is not "Made in China" Preferably Australia, then anywhere but China.

Absolutely agree and not only boards. Our government has sadly let us down over the years, letting China buy companies and driving our housing And manufacturing market through the roof. Say NO to China buying

lam
VIC, 99 posts
23 May 2020 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

What started out as a reasonably interesting thread appears to have turned quite racist, unfortunately.

kev7
WA, 120 posts
23 May 2020 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

racist my arse just facts

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"100% local components and build cost ?" started by Bighugg