Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Lockrack for sup, feedback ?

Created by seanhogan > 9 months ago, 28 Sep 2014
seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
28 Sep 2014 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

saw the add in the banner and thought it was quite a good idea.

I have to attach my 14*28 flatwater sup on the top of my Iload (previous version, higher than the actual one) and it's quite a nightmare to do.
Climbing on each side of the van and throwing the rope over it....

Anyone here using the lockrack system that can provide feedback (a part for the pricey bit..) ??

Thanks in advance

Sean

fester
WA, 348 posts
28 Sep 2014 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

seanhogan said..

Hi there,

saw the add in the banner and thought it was quite a good idea.

I have to attach my 14*28 flatwater sup on the top of my Iload (previous version, higher than the actual one) and it's quite a nightmare to do.
Climbing on each side of the van and throwing the rope over it....

Anyone here using the lockrack system that can provide feedback (a part for the pricey bit..) ??

Thanks in advance

Sean

Cheap option any US box & lock to car or pole

Desflurane
114 posts
28 Sep 2014 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Had my SUP lockrack for 3 weeks. Nothing I don't love about it.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
28 Sep 2014 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

thanks Fester, didn't explain myself correctly, the issue is not anti theft, it's about attaching the board for transport.

Cheers Des, no movement when driving (my main worry ) ?

SUPSMURF
NSW, 164 posts
28 Sep 2014 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Docks Locks are also worth a look. I swear by them.

Desflurane
114 posts
28 Sep 2014 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

There is some, depending on how hard you push the arms in.
My concern initially was the board spearing forward in an emergency stop. To address my worries I put the board on the roof slightly further back close the front rack up to where I think it should be, you get to know how many holes showing pretty quick, push the board forward. Voila no fear of spearing, then close up the rear arm.
Depends on the board if there's any movement, but I prefer a little movement to pinching the board hard between the arms.
The convienience is stellar compared to straps, especially if it's windy and you're single handed.
However they're pretty expensive.

flowmaster
291 posts
28 Sep 2014 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

I have these for over a year now, there perfect, I use it mostly for my SIC when driving for downwinders, even in high wind conditions, it holds the board perfect and up and onloading is easy and safe.

It has however nothing to do with locking your board, yes you can lock the system (never used it) just look at the films .

Desflurane
114 posts
28 Sep 2014 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

The new style racks you must use a plastic key to unlock.
They've changed the design.

ausiet
WA, 63 posts
28 Sep 2014 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Have had the Lock racks for a couple of months now.

I bought the double SUP system and can carry 2 x large SUPs ( 10'3" x 35" x 4.5") easily.
I also carry my smaller JL Kwad 8'7" x 29" with out a problem.

Easy to put them on and off and have had the car over 100 kms for a 2hr trip.

Great bit of gear (though quite expensive)

The only issue I have is that the arms must be removed each time I go for a surf and can't be locked on to the racks.

I understand the new model has over come this problem. ( I wish they had told me of the update prior to forking out the big bucks!)

Over all I would give them a big thumbs up.

ausiet
WA, 63 posts
28 Sep 2014 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Beatit.

I was a little worried about that myself but when I placed 2 identical sized boards in the racks.( the big 35' ones).

Surprisingly though, when I slid the arms in and tightened them they were solid.

I have also had a 29' under the 35' and they were solid. (the 29' is a longer board).

There is about 2-3 mm of rubber on each arm which seems to allow a fair bit of downward pressure when the arms are pushed in.

The newer racks have an even better 'ratchet' system which assists when closing the arms. Have a look on their web site under media, its the first video. (I would embed it in here if I knew how to, sorry)

I emailed the site last week to see if I could just get the ratchets and key and fit them to my system but apparently I need to buy a new set. Oh well, Im happy with these ones.

I'm in Safety Bay so if your close by your welcome to come and have a look some time.

Hope this helps

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
29 Sep 2014 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

thanks ausiet, good feedback.

JoffaDan
VIC, 243 posts
29 Sep 2014 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I was looking at the SUP taxi a while back, but was put off by some of the horror stories (Sups flying off the roof at 100km/h).
These look great! Bit on the expensive side though geez...

beatit
WA, 25 posts
29 Sep 2014 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the details and offer ausiet, I'm a SB local too so will keep an eye out or PM you at some point.

JoffaDan
VIC, 243 posts
30 Sep 2014 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

For anyone that's interested in these...
I emailed Dennis from Lockrack Aus regards a few enquiries I had, and he offered me 20% off the standard price of a double SUP unit. So it was around $295 shipped, which is a lot more reasonable.
His contact details are on the lockrack Aus website. Seems like a good bloke and very helpful.
lockrack.com.au/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=473

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Lockrack for sup, feedback ?" started by seanhogan