Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUP Injuries

Created by dudelatitude > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2014
dudelatitude
QLD, 35 posts
8 Jan 2014 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

I can laugh about this now but had a pretty infortunate injury on Monday while surfing at Broadbeach, after 1.5hrs in the water catching quite a few 2ft waves I was going to catch one last wave before heading in. I was positioned incorrectly on the wave and got ready to take off as the wave was breaking when I should have been paddling from a few seconds earlier while the wave was forming. The board went over the falls and flipped forward while I fell backwards, within seconds I noticed my boardies were completely ripped in the front and I feared the worst. After limping back to the beach I discovered a fin gash in my right inner thigh and a small cut on my right calf, fortunately "everything was still there" then later realised that the right side fin had completely come loose in the process.

Bleeding stopped fairly quickly and a quick visit to Polsy at The Ding Shop where had my fins replaced.

Feeling blessed that a few more centimetres and I could have been in a hospital bed speaking with a high voice.

Sorry but it would be inappropriate to post the pictures

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
8 Jan 2014 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago paddling in at Burleigh. A sneaky little wave swept the board from under me flicking the tail up. Standing in the shower people were staring at me and when I looked down the whole shower area was awash with blood. Didn't even know I had done it. Felt a bump but that was it. Looked down at a two inch cut that looked down to the bone six inches above the ankle. Six stitches later!
Thought to myself never had stitches before and it was a breeze. Went to work no problem, about four hours later,Problem.
Nobody told me the powerful anaesthetic would wear off.Bugger.

jimmijaz
WA, 97 posts
8 Jan 2014 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Please be careful a super just died in Hawaii from suspected fin cut. Sup s have quite a bit of weight and volume.glad you guys came out ok.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
8 Jan 2014 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

OK AA and Goaty. That sounds like a good reason for you to post your pictures again.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
8 Jan 2014 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

I had my board spit out of the wave on a little close out. It got shot up in the air and nailed me in the head on the way down....fin first. I paddled over to my mate and smiled...he just looked like WTF!! (cut head + water = mucho blood) Got a couple more waves and went in. Whilst standing in the shower, bleeding, 2 people waiting were looking awkwardly at me, I said "its ok, my mate punched me for riding a SUP"

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
8 Jan 2014 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

A few years ago on my old Kalama tanker I was out in a decent size day got mowed down by some big white water my board flipped and I was stuck on the fins on my back. All the while getting a wild ride from way out the back frantically trying to free myself before the wave reformed on the shallow inside bank and I got completely smashed. Luckily all I come away with was some ripped shorts and a sore arseAnd a bruised EGO. The short boarders thought it was hilarious

Chris_M
2128 posts
8 Jan 2014 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Speedo rash

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
8 Jan 2014 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Bindies in the grass at Sandy marina can hurt when coming in after a downwinder.

Antho
VIC, 508 posts
8 Jan 2014 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Just broke my finger while hollding on to my leggie while being hit by a wave.

Not happy Jan!

!Right in the middle of an awesome holiday back home on the Sunshine Coast. Middle finger, right hand. ( I have to wear a splint for 3 months!)

Went paddling for the first time in five days yesterday on flat water....it iis unbelievably difficult to paddle with a broken finger howeveri it does reinforce the old adage " Health is wealth."

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
9 Jan 2014 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Careful not to do a Seinfelt and point the finger at anyone. Could be dangerous.
I did the same thing three years ago riding my mal.Went to stand up, bent the finger. It had snapped over at a 90 degree angle so I snapped it back into place still riding the wave and taped it up for a few week. It's still bent a bit and I can hold my hand up and say " Live long and prosper".

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
9 Jan 2014 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

Bindies in the grass at Sandy marina can hurt when coming in after a downwinder.

Is there any chance of a vid with you doing "The bindie dance" it could catch on. Why not? Twerking did. But please don't do it in a sexually provocative manner as described in Wiki.

worrier
WA, 726 posts
9 Jan 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

same deal with a bit of rope on a sea kayak in Fiji.
Trashed the thumb. Have never held on to a legrope since. lesson learned
W

Antho
VIC, 508 posts
9 Jan 2014 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

I agree Worrier, lesson definetly learned... I too will never hold on to a leg rope again. You'd think that after more than 35 years surfing experience one would have more sense!

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
9 Jan 2014 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Grabbing hold of my leggy trying to stop my board from running over an over-zealous booger that was in the wrong cost me 7 stitches to my cheek - missing my temple and eye by only millimetres.

It was a great sesh and I didn't want to get out but the amount of blood coming from the open gash made my mates very nervous and I was basically told to GTFO.

antonfourie
NSW, 140 posts
9 Jan 2014 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Bailed a floater, hit the sandbank tore my MCL & ACL, been out for 6 months now, so have taken up DW racing instead

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
9 Jan 2014 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yep a few mm can make a huge difference!
2' surf. 12'6 board.
Missed 2 tendons, artery and main nerve.
Gash of the year 2012! All good now!
Sorry guys, you started it!

PS: and this ain't the worst shot!

Antho
VIC, 508 posts
9 Jan 2014 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

AA..... You win the surf injury award. That looks pretty disgusting!!!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
9 Jan 2014 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Who wants to eat my dinner.. I'm not hungry anymore.

worrier
WA, 726 posts
9 Jan 2014 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

you never get sick of draggin that one out do ya AA.

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
11 Jan 2014 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

At the last SPSC comp, the tide was pretty low and the waves were breaking on the outer sandbank.

I took off on a large set wave thinking I'd have time to pull left but unfortunately the wave was a closeout and folded over on me. I was able to kick the board clear but unfortunately, I was drilled into the sandbank and snapped me leg, just below the knee (tibial plateau).

Spent a week in hospital and had three metal plates inserted to hold everything together. Still on crutches and will be for some time. No idea yet when I'll be able to surf again, if at all, but fingers crossed.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
11 Jan 2014 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Bummer.. That's worse than stepping on a bindiie..

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
13 Jan 2014 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

Bummer.. That's worse than stepping on a bindiie..

I don't know, have had some severe Bindi gashes!! Felt like they went right through my foot.

Mbuzz, feel for you m8. But am sure that you will be fine. Australia has some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the world.
Had my hip replaced 10 weeks ago and back surfing the mal and the sup for the last 4 weeks.
Good luck!!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUP Injuries" started by dudelatitude