Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUP THE GONG - 2019

Created by Mickie Williams Two weeks ago, 27 Nov 2018
Mickie Williams
NSW, 9 posts
27 Nov 2018 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Everyone.
Im just after some feedback as I'm in two frames of mind about pouring a large amount of energy & associated cost into the SUP THE GONG event.
The event would have 10ft + surfing at Nth Gong (which is a very inconsistent beachie) and an awesome flatwater course in Wollongong Harbour consisting of distance, knockout racing and sprints as well as a BOP component in the ocean over two days.
At this stage I really can't do this all by myself and would love some help.
Feel free to comment below if you would be interested as I have to commit to this 100% or don't even bother.
Kind regards
Michael Williams

Hoffy6367
NSW, 7 posts
30 Nov 2018 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Michael,
I am a novice when it comes to surf competition, racing events.
I paddle just for fitness and fun.
Have you considered starting smaller like a social paddle board event. Build on numbers of paddlers and also who can help with what. Create a mini community that take pride in being part of this sport.
When enough people attending with passion you can form a club/ committee. Each with a role within the club that will assist staging larger events.
This would take a lot less commitment and responsibility from yourself.
I have been involved in junior sports for many years and there would be no chance I would consider trying to get this off the ground from nothing.
In saying that there is no greater place to hold such an event. Than Wollongong Harbour and surrounding areas are perfect locations.
If you are planning on starting in a smaller way I would consider assisting.
Regards
Sean Hofman

Carbs79
NSW, 59 posts
30 Nov 2018 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

10ft+ surfing doesn't interest me but defiently will do the racing.
A downwinder on the lake could be an option to consider too.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUP THE GONG - 2019" started by Mickie Williams