Forums > Surfing Shortboards

$2100 per wave

Created by MickPC 8 months ago, 14 Mar 2018
MickPC
6546 posts
14 Mar 2018 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

www.coastalwatch.com/surfing/22676/you-yes-you-can-now-buy-a-ticket-to-ride-the-kelly-pool-nick-carroll

Well its a lot cheaper than those rides out into space or climbing Everest and certainly a lot cooler. But personally $10k would get me at least a few 1000 more waves living pretty comfy in Indo for a couple of season's.

Prices will come down, initial sale to public has set the bar pretty bloody high....so how much would it have to come down to per wave before you bought a ticket

Razzonater
1724 posts
14 Mar 2018 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

We have all had waves as good as the wave machine at least a few times in our lives , some of us more than others. However most of those times would of had other people in the water jostling and harassing.
I agree that 10 k spent wisely in indo would guarantee waves as good and if not better with a duration of a couple months Hollywood (charter boats surf camps etc etc) or a couple seasons doin the homestay thing.

I really would like to get a couple of those waves from the take off knowing that no one is hassling you it's your wave and you can set the barrel up from go to whooooa.

I wouldn't pay for just one wave I would want 2-3 as I would certainly fluff one from the excitement.

pretty long answer but for three waves I would pay a grand (once off)
this is still an obscene amount of money but for the experience it may be worth it.
A fair price would be 50 bucks a wave or even less like 50 bucks for three waves but it would have to cost at least 50-100 bucks or more to produce one wave ????????

I really want the surf park to be built in Perth.
I don't think it will be cheap but I think it will be wayyy more affordable than 10k for 4 waves

LateStarter
WA, 586 posts
14 Mar 2018 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Not a whole lot different to people paying extra for the perceived prestige of trying it first.

For example, Paying $1000 per plate to attend the opening night at Gordon Ramsay's new restaurant, or people who pay hundreds of dollars to attend the premiere of a film that everyone else gets to see for 20 bucks a day later.

Buster fin
WA, 1762 posts
14 Mar 2018 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Yep. They'll sell.

theDoctor
NSW, 4445 posts
15 Mar 2018 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Do you get a discount if you ride a foil..?

MickPC
6546 posts
15 Mar 2018 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Probably not for a foil, maybe if you brought a few pounds

Yeah Razz, would be great if it got down that low. I think it might get down to about $500au in time. They need to fix the wave dissipation issue to reduce backwash & get more waves per hour happening to pack in the punters....$1000 for 3 waves would be about as much as I'd be prepared to pay also, unless I won lotto, then I'd be happy to pay $10k

JulianRoss
WA, 349 posts
15 Mar 2018 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Do you think that it reflects some of the crazy coin available for surf adventures in the sponsered ranks? $10K to get footage of your favourite star in controlled conditions without other paperazzi getting their heads in the frame?

Razzonater
1724 posts
16 Mar 2018 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

For 10 grand I can take you out in my tinny to my local the full experience includes,
1) the opportunity to set the anchor, and retrieve, part of the full experience includes possible rope burn and back strain.
2) a possible wildlife encounter some friendly some not so friendly, either way it adds a whole new dimension that a pool wave just lacks.
3) your choice of three set waves paticularly if I don't want them especially if they are on that dry inside section.
4) a box of pizza shapes and a can of cold soft drink of your choice, by your choice it'll be coke lemonade or water, basically you get what you get and you don't get upset.
5) a minimum of two photos taken off my 500 dollar smart phone, photos may or may not contain surfing content or alternatively a picture of an albatross or mutton bird.
6) this offer is to be taken tongue in cheek and no way is an actual offer to take anyone to location unless of course you have 10 grand to waste in which case I am offering the experience of a lifetime (pizza shapes may be substituted with alternative Arnotts product)

MickPC
6546 posts
16 Mar 2018 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

lol I'll pass Razz, not a big fan of boat trips. Doesn't mix well with my beer consumption

Probably does Julian, no doubt a few more lucky pro's will get in on the action. Plenty of cashed up kooks will have a go too for sure. $10k is nothing for a lot of people out there.

LateStarter
WA, 586 posts
16 Mar 2018 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
Plenty of cashed up kooks will have a go too for sure. $10k is nothing for a lot of people out there.

Ever been to Malibu?

I was there last year and saw a dude with a Costo Softboard sticking out of the top of his Lambo.

Buster fin
WA, 1762 posts
16 Mar 2018 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..
For 10 grand I can take you out in my tinny to my local the full experience includes,
1) the opportunity to set the anchor, and retrieve, part of the full experience includes possible rope burn and back strain.
2) a possible wildlife encounter some friendly some not so friendly, either way it adds a whole new dimension that a pool wave just lacks.
3) your choice of three set waves paticularly if I don't want them especially if they are on that dry inside section.
4) a box of pizza shapes and a can of cold soft drink of your choice, by your choice it'll be coke lemonade or water, basically you get what you get and you don't get upset.
5) a minimum of two photos taken off my 500 dollar smart phone, photos may or may not contain surfing content or alternatively a picture of an albatross or mutton bird.
6) this offer is to be taken tongue in cheek and no way is an actual offer to take anyone to location unless of course you have 10 grand to waste in which case I am offering the experience of a lifetime (pizza shapes may be substituted with alternative Arnotts product)

If you can virtually promise tim tams and/or mint slices at some stage, I think we've got a deal!

IFocus
WA, 336 posts
17 Mar 2018 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..

Classic

TimKay
651 posts
17 Mar 2018 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

And if you missed a wave when paddling for it
Or blew the take off
Or fell on your first turn
The anxiety would send you over the edge

Nathe
WA, 330 posts
17 Mar 2018 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Surf travel is expensive. I did a trip last year on board the Huey from ments to telos. I've got a ripcurl surf watch and counted every wave I caught . I then divided the cost of the boat , flights , accommodation and spending money by amount of waves surfed and it worked out at $65 a wave . Nothing compared to the wave pool but still pricey

Buster fin
WA, 1762 posts
17 Mar 2018 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

You should have dropped-in more, like it was another day at the Point.

Razzonater
1724 posts
19 Mar 2018 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nathe said..
Surf travel is expensive. I did a trip last year on board the Huey from ments to telos. I've got a ripcurl surf watch and counted every wave I caught . I then divided the cost of the boat , flights , accommodation and spending money by amount of waves surfed and it worked out at $65 a wave . Nothing compared to the wave pool but still pricey

Look any trip overseas if you breakdown like that means a per wave breakdown is horrific, but if that's the way you calculate ( I have several friends who also do this and reckon this is the way to see which trip/charter/area was better.)
the problem with it is that means all food beer and snorkelling and every fish caught / experience was free so there are a few things to way up, I did a month through indo once as a grommet must of been $3 a wave or less, I got food poisoning bad bad I got cut up bad and ate **** food, was a tolerable trip with epic waves but came back in fairly poor health.
moving on went to the Maldives for two weeks must of caught a couple hundred waves (15-30 waves a surf x 14 days) might work out to be 50 bucks a wave or so........ but ate like a king with epic accomodation free transfer boats every day amazing snorkelling trips and all sorts of other little perks

Interesting way to measure the value of a trip?

JESUSGUS
WA, 64 posts
25 Mar 2018 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

If I had the cash I'd pay it.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"$2100 per wave" started by MickPC