Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

2020 Severne Foilglide 7m - First Sail

Created by swoosh Saturday, 1 Aug 2020
swoosh
QLD, 1665 posts
Saturday , 1 Aug 2020 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Had my first sail of the 7m Foilglide today, and seeing as I can't see any reviews for the foil glide I figured I'd throw up a wall of text, and see if anyone else cared! I'll try to update this once I get a few more sails on it.

Short version:If you don't have a sail this size, and all you want it for is foiling, this is a great option. If you are light, maybe you could get away with the 6m. You will probably want a board with parallel rails to get the most out of it.

Spec wise: 7m, 489cm luff, 202cm boom, 4 batten, 3.6kg claimed. I sailed it with a 460 Gorilla RDM, and a Severne Metal 160. On 2018 Naish Hover 122 (modified with outboard footstraps), and a 2020 Fanatic Flow 1000.

Sailor stats: 172cm, 78kg (a bit chubby and unfit at the moment), and intermediate skill level (can land a Spock on a good day, but can't foilgybe to save myself).

On the Beach: First up, damn that's a lot of monofilm, not sure how I'm not going to end up with a million crinkles in it. Rigging however, is super easy, and was pretty much as easy to downhaul as any of my wavesails. I was in a rush, so excuse the top batten tension, and its probably been 8-9 years since I've rigged a cammed sail. Any tuning tips welcome!

I used Wave Grenade Extension set at 30cm, and probably had about 1cm gap (spec calls for 29cm extension), I set the boom to 202cm and outhauled tight use the top clew hole. Had about half the sail sitting on the boom when powered, so I eventually moved the extension out to 204cm and hauled it tight (was getting a bit overpowered as well).

Graphics wise, this is a personal thing, but I'm not a huge fan of a silly looking hexagons printed over it, they probably make it heavier too. Overall judge for yourself, its a good looking sail as long as you like the colour red. I'm really just glad its not the terrible looking new white scheme they seem to be pushing. Finish wise, no issues that I noticed.

On the Water: Launched from the Rockwall at Manly, and according to the graphs, it was about 8-11kts with gusts of up to 16kts briefly. It seemed pretty windy when I was first rigging, so I actually went out on the 5.7m Blade, but wind seemed to have dropped off as I got to the water, and while I did managed to just pump onto the foil, I figured it was a good chance to get the 7m wet. Once on the water the 7m was immediately way more powerful compared to the 5.7m Blade, but lets be real, these two sails aren't in the same league!

Once foiling, it was really well behaved and didn't take long at all for me to be very comfortable on the sail. Initially was windy enough that I didn't have to pump, was just hook in and go. Later on, the wind did drop off a bit, so did a bit of pumping, and for someone who's never pumped a cammed sail, this was extremely easy to pump. It really seems to just grab a big gob of wind and squeeze you onto the plane in 1-2 solid pumps. For all the wavesail guys, appart from the size, this sail will probably make you feel right at home. As far as the cam rotation goes, I never noticed them which I would say is a good thing.

Through the middle of the session, the wind did pick up a bit (nowhere near the point of whitecaps), so I did start to get overpowered. One issue I think is that I really need a board with a wider tail to take advantage of the sail. Whilst I'm pretty sure my Naish has been modified so the footstraps are a bit more outboard, I definitely felt that I could have held the sail down easier with a wider tail on the board. I constantly had both feet barely in the footstraps and out as far on the rails as possible, especially my rear foot where it seemed like I wanted to sail with just my toe in the footstrap. Maybe this was a setup tuning thing as well?

Carving, and going up and downwind, was sweet, there was definitely a bit more inertia there, and so I had to think about half a second further ahead then when foiling with wavesails, but once you get the swing of things the sail was very well behaved. The sail doesn't turn on and off as easily as I'm used to, it really just wants to go, go, go all the time. If you want a sail that will go neutral while you surf swells, this probably isn't it.

Uphauling, and waterstarting, was fine. Luff pocket isn't massive, and even after stuffing the whole thing underwater, because I'm a gumby who doesn't know what he's doing with a cammed sail, it still wasn't really an issue. The sail is really pretty easy to handle, the boom is short enough that I can still easily helitack it (useful maybe for shorter nosed boards).

Few questions I still have:
- Would it benefit from an adjustable outhaul kit?
- Need to try with my usual 28cm harness lines, I ran some 26cm lines on the new boom, which felt a bit odd, but will give it a few more sessions and see. A lot of people seem to rate shorter lines foiling, but I'm not so sure.

Conclusion: Does everything it says on the cover. Considering I rigged it in a hurry, and usually only ever sail wavesails, I was comfortable on this sail after the first 10minutes. Its light, soft and easy to pump. As far as stability goes, I'd say surely there are tradeoffs with only having 4 battens, but I'm not qualified to judge if its as stable as a 6 batten freeride/freerace sail of a similar size. I reckon I'd be happy sailing it in 8-12kts (gusting to maybe 17kts?), and maybe a bit more if I had a board with a wider tail. Any windier than that and I'd prefer to be on a smaller sail anyway. Did I have fun? Yes, had a blast, I don't care for "freeriding" much on a slappa, but with a foil and the extra mobility to go upwind, downwind everywhere, and best of all it makes the red arrow days fun!

Would this be a good sail as a cross over for slapboarding? Probably not, based on how different it looks to be designed to most freeride/free race sails.
Do you need to buy this sail for foiling if you already have a 7m freeride/freerace sail? Probably not.

But if you are like me and generally hate big sails, but love foiling, I think its a good option, with the main caveat being you will probably want a board with fairly parallel rails around 75cm wide to really take advantage of this sail. Also as a random aside, the loop tab on the Metal160 boom seems like its a bit on the flimsy side... not sure what was wrong with the design like on my Enigma wave boom.

For me my foiling quiver will probably evolve to something like:
7m Foilglide as my big sail light winds, say 8-14kts. If I get back down to 72kg or so, I'd probably seriously consider getting the 6m foilglide, selling the 7m, and I could maybe go back to 1 boom. But issue may be that the Enigma wave is too narrow. Eitherway, I prefer small sails so would be interesting to see how much bottom end you lose with the 6m.
5.4-5.5m Freestyle/Wavesail, biggest sail that will fit on a 400mast, for 11-17kts Foiling, and maybe slapping when its 16kts+
4.4-4.5m Freestyle/Wavesail, for 14-20kts, and maybe slapping when 20kts+
4m Freestyle/Wavesail, smallest sail that will fit on a 370mast, for the nuclear days and the Maui trips.

Background:Bit more info for anyone who maybe in a similar situation and is considering this sail. I started foiling 4 months ago on the Naish Hover 122 (2018), and the Naish WS1 foil (2018), as well as a 5.7m Blade, 5.3m & 4.7m S-1's and 4.2m SWAT. A friend has a Naish Lift 6.6m, and there was some borderline days where I couldn't keep up with the 5.7m Blade. I also don't particularly like the blade, so I started to look for a replacement. For locally available gear, the Foilglide looked good, and after umming and ahhhing a bit, I figured if I needed a 460mast and new boom, I might as well go big and get the 7m.

Before foiling I exclusively sailed a 100L Starboard Flare and 5.3m and 4.7m S-1's (all 2012/2013 models) and 4.2m SWAT which was used maybe once a year. I've always kept my gear pretty minimal, 1 board, 1 boom, 2 masts, 3 sails and never liked the idea of big gear slalom or freeride, usually the guys didn't really seem planing much earlier than I was, and it just looked a bit boring. Obviously foiling has changed this, because you can now go upwind/downwind on similar sized gear and lighter winds.

oscardog
119 posts
Sunday , 2 Aug 2020 3:32AM
Thumbs Up

Swoosh,

That's quite a wall of text!

Also have a Foilglide 7.0 and love it. Normally use upper outhaul, 7-12knots. This makes the top panel leach very loose, more than in your photos. I had though the closeness should only be across half of the sail, like your photos. Tried the lower outhaul in slightly stronger 10-18knots winds (very rare here), and sail looked and felt better. maybe my sail is a slightly different cut?

Have not yet had chance to test both holes in same conditions.

The general advice on Seabreeze is to normally use upper position.

Thinking of getting a 6m Foil Glide.

seanhogan
3203 posts
Sunday , 2 Aug 2020 3:59AM
Thumbs Up

nice review
I have the 5.0 it gets me going with my race set up in 12knts (90kg)

I skipped the 6.0 to get the 7.0, my light wind option, with powerful pumping will get me going in 8/9 knts and once in the air... swoosh !

Just worried like you about the wrinkles....but never mind ! I'll get the new Glide if ages too fast !!!
2021 will have three cams and 5 battens it seems

bludga
QLD, 196 posts
Sunday , 2 Aug 2020 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
nice review
I have the 5.0 it gets me going with my race set up in 12knts (90kg)

I skipped the 6.0 to get the 7.0, my light wind option, with powerful pumping will get me going in 8/9 knts and once in the air... swoosh !

Just worried like you about the wrinkles....but never mind ! I'll get the new Glide if ages too fast !!!
2021 will have three cams and 5 battens it seems

I got the impression that was a new sail coming for junior racing, not a replacement foilglide, but I could be wrong. Half of the winning formula with the foilglide is it's extreme light weight.
Swoosh, you definitely want adjustable outhaul to get the most out of the sail. I mostly use the top clew hole, and use a large range of outhaul , with it mostly very loose. I feel it performs better in the extreme bottom end and so not a huge amount of downhaul. This sail is like the opposite of a race sail in my opinion. For me, it replaced a 10m RS racing.

seanhogan
3203 posts
Sunday , 2 Aug 2020 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bludga said..

I got the impression that was a new sail coming for junior racing, not a replacement foilglide, but I could be wrong. Half of the winning formula with the foilglide is it's extreme light weight.

hello Bludga, no it'll be the Glide 2, 3cams 5 battens, also used in the youth olympic program
2020 model we are discussing will be discontinued, so hurry to grab one guys ! (if it's the featherweight you're after !)

bludga
QLD, 196 posts
Sunday , 2 Aug 2020 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

bludga said..

hello Bludga, no it'll be the Glide 2, 3cams 5 battens, also used in the youth olympic program
2020 model we are discussing will be discontinued, so hurry to grab one guys ! (if it's the featherweight you're after !)

Wow! Ok, thanks.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"2020 Severne Foilglide 7m - First Sail" started by swoosh