Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Foil for a Carve 135

Created by MartyD 3 months ago, 16 Mar 2019
MartyD
NSW, 10 posts
16 Mar 2019 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

im wanting to put a foil on my old carve 135 and give foiling a go. Can anyone recommend a foil setup for this standard tutle box workhorse or would it just destroy the board? Cheers Martin

joe windsurf
1459 posts
16 Mar 2019 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

is it possible that the Carve 135 is less than 70 cm wide ??
thought foil boards tend to be more on the wider side - like 80 cm + ??
it seems people are taking risks with fin boxes all over the place
i have found some pics with busted boards or fin boxes, but NOT many !!

Paducah
365 posts
16 Mar 2019 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MartyD said..
im wanting to put a foil on my old carve 135 and give foiling a go. Can anyone recommend a foil setup for this standard tutle box workhorse or would it just destroy the board? Cheers Martin

Zeeko, Manta, LP and a Powerplate have all been mentioned in previous threads. Powerplate is (imho) the most expensive option but looks like it provides the widest platform for the bottom of the board. Zeeko and Manta are well regarded, user friendly and affordable alu foils. If your carve's box has chimneys for the screws rather than just the screws sitting on the deck, also look at using wider washers or reinforcing the deck with a couple layers of glass or carbon. This topic has come up before so if you have a moment to search through prior threads, you might find more detailed info.

Edit: good thread to go through: www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/Replacing-a-sunken-rig--new-rig-or-a-foil--help-?page=1

Windbot
76 posts
16 Mar 2019 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

The first board i windfoiled was a Carve 135 with an LP. The board was fantastic and i have since tried to find one for myself. I had concerns about the small collar on the LP but it did fine and the board was great. Not sure how it would hold up over time. Personally i would slap on a PowerPlate setup or DIY something similar, but that is because i have one and it has done a great job on my Starboard Go.

Here's a link to some footage of the Carve setup in action on day 1:

All my other videos on the Go are with a PowerPlate

MartyD
NSW, 10 posts
17 Mar 2019 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Good feedback guys n gals, thanks. Sounds like the Manta might be the go here. ??

Te Hau
367 posts
19 Mar 2019 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MartyD said..
Good feedback guys n gals, thanks. Sounds like the Manta might be the go here. ??

I have a Manta and can recommend it.
Cheaps as chips, well made and works well.
Heavy, but who cares if you're not racing?
The plate is good support for your finbox.
I also cut some large (70-80mm) diameter washers out of a 6mm nylon chopping board for the fin bolt support.
Don't buy the 3 in 1 foil. You'll grow out of it fast. More for SUP.
The Freeride foil is the go and get the longer fuselage and the long nose piece.
Longer fuse is more stable and easier to fly with.
When you get the hang of it you can use the adjuster screws on the stabilizer pivot to trim for water conditions and lift.
The standard trim blocks for adjuster limits are quite small range, if going salt to fresh water etc.
You need a plate.
I've repaired a slalom board where the (no plate) tuttle head had pushed the front out of the fin box.
The foil was quite hard to get out of the board and had wedged into the PVC and foam.

MartyD
NSW, 10 posts
28 Mar 2019 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Te Hau said..

MartyD said..

I have a Manta and can recommend it.
Cheaps as chips, well made and works well.
Heavy, but who cares if you're not racing?
The plate is good support for your finbox.
I also cut some large (70-80mm) diameter washers out of a 6mm nylon chopping board for the fin bolt support.
Don't buy the 3 in 1 foil. You'll grow out of it fast. More for SUP.
The Freeride foil is the go and get the longer fuselage and the long nose piece.
Longer fuse is more stable and easier to fly with.
When you get the hang of it you can use the adjuster screws on the stabilizer pivot to trim for water conditions and lift.
The standard trim blocks for adjuster limits are quite small range, if going salt to fresh water etc.
You need a plate.
I've repaired a slalom board where the (no plate) tuttle head had pushed the front out of the fin box.
The foil was quite hard to get out of the board and had wedged into the PVC and foam.

Thanks Te Hau, which mast length do you go with? The 90cm?
cheers
martin

MartyD
NSW, 10 posts
29 Mar 2019 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..

The carve is 72cm wide so on the narrow side. I'm going to give it a shot with a load plate and see how it goes.

Windbot
76 posts
29 Mar 2019 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MartyD said..

joe windsurf said..

The carve is 72cm wide so on the narrow side. I'm going to give it a shot with a load plate and see how it goes.

It'll be just fine at 72cm for your purpose. Eventually you may want to go wider especially if you ride in lighter winds. Board width can also be a bit misleading, for instance last year's Slingshot Dialer 130 is narrower than that, but has a squared off tail that lets you drive hard off the back foot. Have you seen the width of the 2018 Naish Hover? 73cm. You may not quite get the upwind angles of a wide board, but you can still have lots of fun on that board for sure and it will fit beside your wave board or roof box on the car rack.

MartyD
NSW, 10 posts
30 Mar 2019 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Smacked & cracked the nose hard today in big catapult courtesy of a 40 knt bullet. First time I've ever damaged a board that way. Any one in AUS selling those 'surf bent' mast base things? Guess I'm going to need it during the foil leaning curve.

Paducah
365 posts
31 Mar 2019 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MartyD said..
Smacked & cracked the nose hard today in big catapult courtesy of a 40 knt bullet. First time I've ever damaged a board that way. Any one in AUS selling those 'surf bent' mast base things? Guess I'm going to need it during the foil leaning curve.

Sorry to hear that. All I can say is that my board repair expertise has sky-rocketed since my starting to foil a couple years ago.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Foil for a Carve 135" started by MartyD