Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

NeilPryde GLIDE WIND FOIL S 2020 Foilbeginner

Created by brobby A week ago, 8 Jan 2022
brobby
8 posts
8 Jan 2022 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, my first question here. I live in Switzerland/Luzern and just decided to start Foiling - I like flying:)

I`m 68 kg and have a 2021 JP Hydrofoil 135. Now the big question is which Foil. What do you think about the NeilPryde GLIDE WIND FOIL Size S 2020?
It has a front wing top are of 1148 cm2 and I`m just not sure, if this will be enough to learn.
Fuselage 81cm & Mast 80cm.

Regards
brobby

Daithidmg
39 posts
8 Jan 2022 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Brobby,

The size of the wing is plenty big for your weight, anything around 1000cm2 is easy to get started with even for a bit heavier than your weight.

The Glide is a bit more suited to a more freefoil style of board like the JP freefoil, footstraps a bit more forward and centre, slightly narrower and more usually with a track mount rather than tuttle. The fuselage is also relatively short which makes the control a little trickier in the beginning. It should still work OK with the 135 but won't get the best performance from the board or foil.

Something like the Flight FR would be a bit more suited to this type of board, 85cm mast, 90cm fuselage will make for nice stable flight.

In the end it depends on the type of foiling you think you will be doing, cruising around with relatively larger freeride sails will suit the 135 / FR type setup, playing around, turning and basic tricks will suit the Freefoil / Glide type setup.

Happy flying
Dave

brobby
8 posts
8 Jan 2022 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dave, nice to hear that. So far I have been reading online, they recommend Frontwing > 1500 cm2 (like SB Supercruiser).

I first just want to learn (not about the best performance) then I will decide if it`s cruising or playing around. Well Glide it is then.
Thanks

segler
WA, 1054 posts
9 Jan 2022 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

I agree that a front wing area of ~1100 cm2 is the sweet spot for you. Yes, a 90 cm fuselage length would be much better since it contributes to more stable flight.

A 1500 cm2 wing is also fine, but you don't really need that much at your weight. I weigh 25 kg more than you, and I foil with both 1100 cm2 and 1550 cm2 wings. I like the 1100 cm2 better. Nothing wrong with the 1550 cm2, but the 1100 cm2 lifts nearly as early and has more speed range.

tonyk
QLD, 410 posts
9 Jan 2022 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

The learnt on glide wind and spent 16 months riding them at lot
My experience is there is more stability in having a slightly larger wing, even taking into account you are only 68kg I would still be starting on the Glide Wind Size 13 rather than the Size 11
Cheers TK

LeeD
3458 posts
9 Jan 2022 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

At least 4 guys your weight, up to 75 kg, started and still use windfoils !front wings in the 1100 sizing.
I'm on the upper end, use 1100 and 600's.
Started on 1220? which is fine also.

Windborne
9 posts
10 Jan 2022 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

I have the JP135 and started with the NP Glide Small as well. I am 70 kg. It was ok for learning, but I made faster progress on the Glide Large. It allows you to use smaller sails and deal with gusts easier. I would expect the lakes in Switzerland to be gusty. I sail on large inland lakes (Ontario and Erie in Canada), which can be gusty. Since the Tuttle box is fixed, the sail mast base position is critical for tuning, so you can get up on the foil easily and stay in control (with either size foil).

TinktheStink
8 posts
10 Jan 2022 5:24AM
Thumbs Up

I had JP 135, with 2018 glide foil, started with small wing, but too small, I'm 95og, I run large front wing 1616cm2. Board is lovely and stable, and match for JP board, the boards work better with a faster foil, but glide perfect to get going on. The new Np hp wind foils are apparently slightly faster, bit old blue glide foil has more lift.

tonyk
QLD, 410 posts
10 Jan 2022 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windborne said..
I have the JP135 and started with the NP Glide Small as well. I am 70 kg. It was ok for learning, but I made faster progress on the Glide Large. It allows you to use smaller sails and deal with gusts easier. I would expect the lakes in Switzerland to be gusty. I sail on large inland lakes (Ontario and Erie in Canada), which can be gusty. Since the Tuttle box is fixed, the sail mast base position is critical for tuning, so you can get up on the foil easily and stay in control (with either size foil).

Yes 100% agree Windborne
We were all also on JP135 and as these lads are saying go medium or large and you will have a much better learning experience

brobby
8 posts
10 Jan 2022 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

ok, thanks guys.
I just found a good offer for the Slingshot Hover Glide (Infinity 76 Frontwing). What about that one?
There is also a good offer for the Starboard Supercruiser, but I heard it does not fit good on that board (Info from a shop selling them).

It`s wintertime, good time for foil shopping:)

segler
WA, 1054 posts
11 Jan 2022 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hey brobby, there is a reason why the Infinity 76 is, by far, the most popular wing on SS gear in Florida, Puget Sound, and the gorge.

I have the i76. It's great. Not particularly fast, but easy to fly with a pretty good speed range. I use mine with 5.0-7.0 sails. Some guys in the Seattle area run bigger sails with it, and one friend of mine in the gorge runs a 2.8 with it on those really windy days.

The Supercruiser is good, too, but I think the i76 in the B position has better geometry for freeride foil boards.

thedoor
1307 posts
11 Jan 2022 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brobby said..
ok, thanks guys.
I just found a good offer for the Slingshot Hover Glide (Infinity 76 Frontwing). What about that one?
There is also a good offer for the Starboard Supercruiser, but I heard it does not fit good on that board (Info from a shop selling them).

It`s wintertime, good time for foil shopping:)

i76 was definitely the goto freeride wing when it came out three years ago and that wing is probably one of the best current wings for people to learn and progress in windfoiling.

brobby
8 posts
13 Jan 2022 5:07AM
Thumbs Up

good news, i actually found a used i76, seems to be in a good shape, jus some really tiny scratches and some small parts paint chipped off. the guy also sells his wizard 105 board. I would love to buy it, but I not sure if i will get to that level soon enough.

LeeD
3458 posts
13 Jan 2022 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

At your weight, that is 1st day material.

Grantmac
1175 posts
13 Jan 2022 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
At your weight, that is 1st day material.

I agree with LeeD, which makes this a pretty significant moment. The Wizard 105 is plenty at your weight.

segler
WA, 1054 posts
14 Jan 2022 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hey brobby, you wrote: "I`m 68 kg and have a 2021 JP Hydrofoil 135." That JP is a very good platform to learn on.

If you get the i76, you can mount it in the B position to the JP board, and be well on your way into getting foiling. Wilkommen!

brobby
8 posts
14 Jan 2022 3:16AM
Thumbs Up

hey segelr, danke. yeah I've got the JP board and I know it is the right board for me.
but since that guy sells also his board for a really reasonable price, I thought to buy as a second board. just not sure when im going to get to that level. surely depends on TOW:)

LeeD and Grantmac are sure it's the right board to start with and I would like to believe you. but men I?ve had my first fly on a rental board (fanatic blast 130) and short after that my first nose under water fly:D I think with wizard 105 it's probably easier to repeat that. but also know that I know nothing about foiling:)

LeeD
3458 posts
14 Jan 2022 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

4 friends of mine learned to windfoil 2 years ago with NP Small foil and 85 liter boards. All happen to be JP, but sprinkled between FSW and pure freestyle 85 and 88's.
3 of them weigh 70 kg or a bit more, one weighs 65 kg.
They just use their regular medium wind windsurfing boards.
Still do, as of Oct. 2021.

LeeD
3458 posts
14 Jan 2022 4:00AM
Thumbs Up

I learned to windfoil at age 68, 72 kg. We all wear 4/3 wetsuits in 55 degree water. San Francisco.
1st day, I used a 122 Naish board.
2nd day, a 95 liter slalom board.
Both floated well.

PatK
194 posts
14 Jan 2022 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hoi brobby,
Wennt es neus Foil chaufe wotsch, denn chasch au emol bim Urs Ryf in Luzern inneluege und di berote loo. Doete chunsch fuer wenig Stutz zum Biischpiel s Redwing vo Severne ueber.
Gruess vom Bodesee

seaanchor
9 posts
14 Jan 2022 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Brody
I'm 75Kg
I have the jp135 and it's a fantastic board I have a slingshot i76 foil and they go together great I use 6m 5m and 4m sails I've been riding it for atleat 3 years now and still great fun
I also have the slingshot 114l and it's a considerable drop in volume to be honest if there is any doubt the wind is to light to foil all the time it stays in the van
If I was to change the I 76 it would be for a fantasm of some description

segler
WA, 1054 posts
15 Jan 2022 2:13AM
Thumbs Up

Brobby, if you can get the 105 as a second board, you might have a good set there. No problem with having two boards as you grow into the sport. The big elephant in the room is how you start. We all pretty much have to uphaul at first, but then we can move to waterstarting as our skills in higher winds improve. At your weight the Jp 135 is easy to uphaul. Heck, the 105 can be uphauled, but it is harder.

Schweizerdeutsch. (And not even pronounced the way Germans and Austrians would say it.) I can handle stoasteirisch, but I am completely lost with Swiss German.

brobby
8 posts
15 Jan 2022 4:38AM
Thumbs Up

I asked Slingshot Germany (info@slingshotsports.de) and US (info@slingshotsports.com).

Slingshot Germany: that guy told me, he is also 68 kg and his first board was a wizard 105 and that the foil is more decisive

Slingshot US: "Typically the Wizard 105L was not designed to be used as a beginner board for windfoiling. We believe more volume will help learn the basics and progress windfoiling quicker, making for a better experience overall.
"
This guy seems did not start with the 105

5 years in Switzerland and Schweizerdeutsch is still a challenge. But I got you PatK:)
Going to see/buy that foil and board tomorrow. I`ll decide about the board when I see the board.

Thanks all (including Slingshot)

LeeD
3458 posts
15 Jan 2022 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

At 68 kg, you can uphaul any 85 liter board.
My 4 buds who started on Glide S and 85 liter boards never had any trouble. They all wear 4/3 wetsuits too.
105 would be my biggest windsurf board, able to hold 7.5 sails and uphaulable.

WsurfAustin
151 posts
Saturday , 15 Jan 2022 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

FWIW,
I'm on an inland lake. 64kg on a SS114. For my conditions, I would not want any less volume. I'm sure I would have no problem uphauling and sailng a 100 liter board, but our variable winds means you might be slogging for 15 20 minutes
In bouncy motor boat chop. And if you get far down wind when the wind dies, getting back would be a struggle. The DOOR posted a video of starting on a small board where the whole board is submerged for a while as he gets going. I don't have those kind of skills. Even if I did, starting that way 30-40 times between puffs, well.. I wouldn't last very long.

segler
WA, 1054 posts
Sunday , 16 Jan 2022 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hey brobby, get both the 105 board and foil. Start with the JP 135 and learn with it. It will serve you well for that purpose, and be easy to uphaul.

Then, as you get better, if the JP 135 feels too big, move to the 105 and foil off into the sunset.

Freeflight
49 posts
Sunday , 16 Jan 2022 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

Brobby says he already has a 135L Foil board GREAT
I don't get why any of you 'windfoil experts' would recommend he go out and buy another smaller board at this point
Just more rubbish advice given on seabreeze, often given by repeat offenders

segler
WA, 1054 posts
Monday , 17 Jan 2022 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

I can answer that. Lots of people, especially at brobby's weight, find that the JP 135 feels too big once their skill set improves.

Therefore, it is not unreasonable to think he will, too. If he has the 105 waiting in the wings as he gets better, he might find he likes it better than the 135. All over these fora people say they like the 105.

So, start with the 135 and i76. Figure it all out and get good at it. Then try the 105 later. This advice ain't rubbish.

LeeD
3458 posts
Monday , 17 Jan 2022 4:27AM
Thumbs Up

Unless you're really old........
I know 2 63+ year old dudes who both windfoil less than once a week, been on JP 135 for 3 years.
Me, 73, still on Naish 122, 3rd year. But I can ride 95 liter boards no problem.
If you think you're gonna get proficient, a smaller board should be on your mind.
Me, I'll never get there, as I windsurf 90 days a year, trying to wingsurf 20, so barely get 30 windfoil days a year.

brobby
8 posts
Monday , 17 Jan 2022 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

I liked that board when I saw it and bought it. The condition of board and foil are very good also the price.
I`ll start with 105, if I don't like it I'll switch to JP and then we will see:)
Guess will need a shorter mast 70cm for the start.

PatK
194 posts
Monday , 17 Jan 2022 6:22AM
Thumbs Up

This one?
www.surfbasar.com/threads/slingshot-wizard-105-hover-glide-fwind.24089/

Congratulations. Great deal!

85cm mast is perfect

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"NeilPryde GLIDE WIND FOIL S 2020 Foilbeginner" started by brobby