Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

SB 115 (black one) vs 115+ (grey) fuselage - need advice

Created by Manilo 1 month ago, 22 May 2022
Manilo
WA, 16 posts
22 May 2022 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I could get a used Starboard Race Foil with 1000 and 800 front wings, but it's one of the first ones, so the fuselage is not the plus, in which the front wing is far forward.

It even has no shims to the tail 255 wing, it's always the same angle.

I'm riding comfortable, but can't get the same upwind (and a bit downwind) angles than some friends. All with the same sail (Severne hg2 9.0) and SB foil 100 board.

I know one of them is always faster and has better angles than me. But I would like to know if anyone has tried both, and give me some thoughts about it.

Speed related, I'm getting around 22 knts downwind, with 12-16 of wind.

Fortunately it's the least expensive part to buy (usd 299 in the US)

Thank you!

Subsonic
WA, 2582 posts
22 May 2022 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

I've not tried the original 115 starboard fuse, but did used to use the f4 120cm fuse, (which is very similar in front wing position to it) and had similar upwind angle issues against my friends on their iq sets. Now having the iq set, the upwind angles i can get are much the same as theirs. (F4 have since created a 115+fuse as well, the iq foil was just easier for me to get)
speedwise, its looking like 22/23knots is a bit of a barrier speed for a lot of people on the course racing foils. sure it's possible to push them faster, but in course racing vmg is probably more relevant.
keep in mind that the iq gear you have to go through the olympic system now. You could get the evolution fuse, but they've changed the front wing mount, so you'd be up for a new front wing/s as well.

Manilo
WA, 16 posts
22 May 2022 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Subsonic said..
I've not tried the original 115 starboard fuse, but did used to use the f4 120cm fuse, (which is very similar in front wing position to it) and had similar upwind angle issues against my friends on their iq sets. Now having the iq set, the upwind angles i can get are much the same as theirs. (F4 have since created a 115+fuse as well, the iq foil was just easier for me to get)
speedwise, its looking like 22/23knots is a bit of a barrier speed for a lot of people on the course racing foils. sure it's possible to push them faster, but in course racing vmg is probably more relevant.
keep in mind that the iq gear you have to go through the olympic system now. You could get the evolution fuse, but they've changed the front wing mount, so you'd be up for a new front wing/s as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Well I'm not going for IQ , mainly cause I'm 47 so olympic campaign Is out of question. And because lQ sailors have much better pumping abilities than me, young and training continuosly.

I'll ask for a 115+ fuse to a friend for a session next time!

Regards

Grantmac
1426 posts
23 May 2022 2:24AM
Thumbs Up

Its worth keeping the original 115 around for doing speed runs and running smaller sails using the original 550 and 800 wings which are dirt cheap now.
Not great for VMG however.

RuddeBos
115 posts
23 May 2022 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

I've recently repaired an old black 115 fuselage with helicoils to bring it back from the dead.
I've used with 1000/900/800 wings and a 255 tw shimmed to -2 deg equivalent with the washer under the middle bolt.
comparing it to my 95+ which I normally use, it's a lot more stable, but it hasn't really got the upwind angles I was hoping for.
the front wing is only 1cm approx further forward, so it feels very similar to the 95+ but a bit boringly stable. Rises like a jumbo jet.
As folk have said, it's probably most suitable for the slalom wing set up 725/255 wings

California
7 posts
23 May 2022 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Contact philsurfdude here on the forum, he sailed and tested pretty much everething from starboardfoils,. He knows these things.

lwalker
68 posts
23 May 2022 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Does the the 115+ fuselage require you to use the newer rear wing with the shims?

phoilingphil
28 posts
25 May 2022 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

I use both fuses and use the black one for higher winds with the 800 wing primarily, especially if I think I may be doing more reaching than upwind down wind sailing. The 115+ I use more with the 900 wing. I also got the new -2 degree stab. You don't have to. The original stab will fit the 115+ fuse. the -2 degree stab works well on the black fuse
Starboard has a couple good videos explaining the combinations, one with Sebastian Koerdel and the other with Mateo Iachino I believe.

California
7 posts
26 May 2022 1:13AM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"SB 115 (black one) vs 115+ (grey) fuselage - need advice" started by Manilo