Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

SabFoil Balz 799 Mast92 899 Fuselage 399 Stabilizer vs Neil Pryde Glide Series HP 11 for Windfoil

Created by jksmurf > 9 months ago, 13 Jun 2022
jksmurf
154 posts
13 Jun 2022 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SabFoil Balz 799 (1100cm) Mast92 (Plate) With 899 Fuselage, 399 Stabilizer.

Hi, a deal recently came up on a second hand one of these SabFoils, was wondering if anyone had any experience of these in comparison to the NP Glide HP Series foils (I have 11/13/15) and whether "upgrading" to the full carbon mast/longer fuse than the HP Series (80cm, although I see 84cm being quoted).

Essentially it is for my wife (60kg) who freefoils on a JP115 (not that interested in speed) and while we don't 'really' need the SabFoil, the attraction was (a) longer fuselage (more stability in strong winds/hike out a bit?) (b) a little more HA (c) hopefully it was lighter overall for carrying.

Thoughts?

k.

thedoor
2198 posts
13 Jun 2022 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

799 is one of the best allround windfoil wings out there. it has a fantastic range and surprizingly good low end. I do have the matching 899 for when its real marginal

I use it on the 899 high strength fuse and the 92cm mast

Paducah
2462 posts
13 Jun 2022 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

The SAB will be more stable but the biggest attraction is the availability of a 95cm carbon mast. I can foil an 80 or 85 (I have an NP Glide HA13) but, now being used to 95cm masts on a couple of of my foil sets, rough water and jibes are so much easier when you have more room to work with.

jksmurf
154 posts
13 Jun 2022 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers guys, apprecaited. Doesn't seem much in it weight wise.
What boards do you use yours on and do folks shim these much?

SAB 92 Mast 2.34kg
799 Wing 0.84kg
399 Stab 0.13kg
899 Fuselage 1.26kg
Screws 0.05kg (say)
Total 4.62kg
vs

NP HP 13 4.8kg (from a test review)

segler
WA, 1601 posts
13 Jun 2022 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Ya want long? For rough water, get the SAB W105 carbon mast. Or even the Ghost Whisperer 111 mast.

jksmurf
154 posts
14 Jun 2022 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
segler said..
Ya want long? For rough water, get the SAB W105 carbon mast. Or even the Ghost Whisperer 111 mast.

Not really, the 92cm length is just fine, especially if I get a Wing Fuselage for it as well as the Windfoil one. I guess the main question is if I already have the NP 11/13 HP series foils with an 85cm (it might even be 90cm) foil mast, will I see much difference with this SABFoil kit ?(specs as described above).

The SAB fuse is 100mm longer than the NP one, the SAB foil mast is carbon and slightly longer, the SAB front foil is same area as the HP of 1100cm2, the SAB rig is slightly lighter and slightly more HA (I believe)...so, is it going to blow my socks off or just be a subtle change?

ta
k

jksmurf
154 posts
12 Aug 2022 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Further to this query (stil available, not bought it yet), what do folks think of the strength of the (fixed) Mast92 which is a Mast Plate and not a Tuttle, for Windfoiling.

It's for my wife 60kg. It's quite long, so a big cantilever (if heeling over), even for a small rider.

k.

thedoor
2198 posts
12 Aug 2022 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jksmurf said..
Further to this query (stil available, not bought it yet), what do folks think of the strength of the (fixed) Mast92 which is a Mast Plate and not a Tuttle, for Windfoiling.

It's for my wife 60kg. It's quite long, so a big cantilever (if heeling over), even for a small rider.

k.

I image it's not the stiffest mast out there but it doesn't hold me back at all. The 92 was a big improvement versus the 91 kite mast

WsurfAustin
494 posts
12 Aug 2022 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jksmurf said..

k.

FWIW,
Im 62kg 5'8" and went from a 90 cm mast to w103 mast. I was initially concerned about the handling of the extra length. Adapted to the new length easily. Also got the major benefit of more clearance heeled over in deep chop when cranking up wind, and no foil out in downwind swell.

Paducah
2462 posts
13 Aug 2022 3:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WsurfAustin said..

jksmurf said..

k.

FWIW,
Im 62kg 5'8" and went from a 90 cm mast to w103 mast. I was initially concerned about the handling of the extra length. Adapted to the new length easily. Also got the major benefit of more clearance heeled over in deep chop when cranking up wind, and no foil out in downwind swell.

If she's shorter and sails in colder temps, going from a 90 to 103 has definite drawbacks. I'm on the short side and getting deep enough for a 95 when the water is cold is not a pleasant thing especially if the bottom is rocky and you really need to swim it out. I'll probably end up swimming at some point anyway but that's not a pleasant way to start a session.

jksmurf
154 posts
13 Aug 2022 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone she's 1.67 (5'7") but the water doesn't get that cold here. The strength question was more about the plate (vs Tuttle) as it seems to me the 92cm with plate (actually plates in general) is made for winging and I was a bit nervous about cracking the plate for windfoiling as windfoiling keels foils masts over a lot more. But it should be ok I think.

I'm just hoping we see an improvement over the HP series (due to foil as well as fuselage length).

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"SabFoil Balz 799 Mast92 899 Fuselage 399 Stabilizer vs Neil Pryde Glide Series HP 11 for Windfoil" started by jksmurf