Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Slingshot Wizard 114 Vs Freestyle 115

Created by Panno 1 month ago, 20 May 2022
Panno
22 posts
20 May 2022 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have experience with both the Wizard 114 and the Freestyle 115 in a variety of conditions ie flat/swell/waves?

What would be the pro's/con's of one against the other?

Cheers

thedoor
1546 posts
20 May 2022 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
They are both great boards.

Wizard pros
Gets going a little easier as wider in tail
Easier to gybe as sail to foil distance a bit further apart
Handles bigger sails better as can stand out on wide tail

Freestyle pro

Old one has Tuttle option, new one has long tracks

Slightly easier to uphaul as mast base further back

Handles swell better because the geometry is more compact (sail closer to foil)

The above day was some of the biggest wind swell i have ridden in, and my freestyle was out of commission so i rode my wizard. I struggled to use my body weight to angle the board down the wave face and was breaching a lot. I felt the freestyle would of handled those conditions much better. But at that time my wizard was set up for more flat water so i could of improved it's ability in swell by altering strap position so that the mast and foil would of been closer together, so you can definitely set up your wizard so it rides more like the freestyle.

thedoor
1546 posts
20 May 2022 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
No idea why my post was like that lol

WsurfAustin
228 posts
20 May 2022 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

No idea why my post was like that lol

Wow, that's some huge swell.

aeroegnr
729 posts
20 May 2022 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

The above day was some of the biggest wind swell i have ridden in, and my freestyle was out of commission so i rode my wizard. I struggled to use my body weight to angle the board down the wave face and was breaching a lot. I felt the freestyle would of handled those conditions much better. But at that time my wizard was set up for more flat water so i could of improved it's ability in swell by altering strap position so that the mast and foil would of been closer together, so you can definitely set up your wizard so it rides more like the freestyle.

That's wild. I have only been in conditions like that with a fin and I was quite a bit over my head in skill level.

By the way, if you run into the excess quote box thing you can edit the post with the plain text editor toggle at the top, and delete all the quote and /quote tags to clean it up. You may have to hunt around to find them all.

BullroarerTook
87 posts
20 May 2022 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

I think one of the most important things to know though is thedoor sold the Wizard and uses the Freestyle as his daily driver.

Paducah
1862 posts
20 May 2022 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BullroarerTook said..
I think one of the most important things to know though is thedoor sold the Wizard and uses the Freestyle as his daily driver.

The second to know is that he lives in a consistently windy spot.

Not taking anything away from thedoor's video but adding to it: insane swell Lanzarote Challenge a few months back - swell footage starts around 0:22

thedoor
1546 posts
21 May 2022 4:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aeroegnr said..
thedoor said..

That's wild. I have only been in conditions like that with a fin and I was quite a bit over my head in skill level.

By the way, if you run into the excess quote box thing you can edit the post with the plain text editor toggle at the top, and delete all the quote and /quote tags to clean it up. You may have to hunt around to find them all.

Cheers but can't seem to find the edit button lol

aeroegnr
729 posts
21 May 2022 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

aeroegnr said..

thedoor said..

Cheers but can't seem to find the edit button lol

Yeah they give you like half an hour? Then you can't edit it

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
22 May 2022 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

I've only ever used the Wizard 114. I sail open ocean and breaking waves- quite often light wind. The wide tail aids in early lift, but then also gives that leverage to get further out on the wider tail to push even higher up wind. I haven't found the wide tail gets in the way on the wave too much, but maybe the freestyle would be a touch better there and slimmer nose shape also. but I imagine having the wide shape is a game changer when trying to uphaul in open ocean and breaking waves. Although the freestyle is a bit longer and a bit wider, so maybe that helps with stability. If I sailed in consistent stronger wind where I didn't have to bother with uphauling then Yeah I'd definitely consider the Freestyle. I do really love how the slots come right out the back of the board without having to completely undo the bolts though on the V2 freestyle and the addition of carry handle underneath.. Now that's it's got me thinking

KDog
188 posts
22 May 2022 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigdaz said..
I've only ever used the Wizard 114. I sail open ocean and breaking waves- quite often light wind. The wide tail aids in early lift, but then also gives that leverage to get further out on the wider tail to push even higher up wind. I haven't found the wide tail gets in the way on the wave too much, but maybe the freestyle would be a touch better there and slimmer nose shape also. but I imagine having the wide shape is a game changer when trying to uphaul in open ocean and breaking waves. Although the freestyle is a bit longer and a bit wider, so maybe that helps with stability. If I sailed in consistent stronger wind where I didn't have to bother with uphauling then Yeah I'd definitely consider the Freestyle. I do really love how the slots come right out the back of the board without having to completely undo the bolts though on the V2 freestyle and the addition of carry handle underneath.. Now that's it's got me thinking

Yes would love to have a bottom handle on my 114 even thought about retrofitting one but there is lots of V right we're it needs to go and I think the freestyle 115 has a sandwich bottom and the Wizard is only sandwich construction on top.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
22 May 2022 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KDog said..

bigdaz said..

Yes would love to have a bottom handle on my 114 even thought about retrofitting one but there is lots of V right we're it needs to go and I think the freestyle 115 has a sandwich bottom and the Wizard is only sandwich construction on top.

Yeah, I'd love the handle, I really struggled getting out of the shore break yesterday. it's so awkward.

thedoor
1546 posts
22 May 2022 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigdaz said..

I know i have a much easier time uphauling my freestyle than my baby shredsled. More central mast foot seems more important than width.

Edit :) Bottom handle is great though

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Slingshot Wizard 114 Vs Freestyle 115" started by Panno