Forums > Windsurfing General

100% carbon mast or carbon boom

Created by Nelle Two weeks ago, 28 Sep 2019
Nelle
VIC, 51 posts
28 Sep 2019 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

I have Severne rdm gorilla masts and Severne Metal boom. Freeridey Gator and NCX sails. If were to update something this year would I get better bang for my buck in performance by going to a carbon boom or 100% mast.

Mark _australia
WA, 19559 posts
28 Sep 2019 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

I say boom

A 60% -75% mast makes a little difference in speed ...... but is way more durable than 100% (and particularly more than SDM)
That lack of performance is something that is measured more than felt...... and its tiny. But you get durability.

The boom flex can be felt with sail distortion and in gusts you get way more overpowered. You get no advantage like durability . Hmmm OK you do get price advantage, but $400 every 3 yrs or $1000 every 6-10 yrs....?

So IMHO - boom.

BSN101
WA, 1733 posts
28 Sep 2019 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
I say boom

A 60% -75% mast makes a little difference in speed ...... but is way more durable than 100% (and particularly more than SDM)
That lack of performance is something that is measured more than felt...... and its tiny. But you get durability.

The boom flex can be felt with sail distortion and in gusts you get way more overpowered. You get no advantage like durability . Hmmm OK you do get price advantage, but $400 every 3 yrs or $1000 every 6-10 yrs....?

So IMHO - boom.

++
id go the boom too as being able to tell the difference between masts would be hard and if the masts are still ok and not been given a real hard time they will still last. You should feel the boom stiffness straight away and carbon will last if not abused (crashed often).

Ive used mates alloy booms/rigs and skinny masts and they feel rubbery vs my rigs. But that is purely my opinion. While other mates have alloy booms and 90masts and at fast as!

MagicRide
187 posts
29 Sep 2019 1:41AM
Thumbs Up

I went to all rdm Ezzy Hookipa masts, with my Chinook pro 1 Alloy boom. Been happy with the change. Notice quite a change in performance with the Ezzy masts. I got most all Ezzy sails too but 1 and the spring back response is amazing. I won't go carbon boom, I'm happy with my boom. On my 6th year with this boom. Can't comment on if were getting the carbon boom with my older, less carbon masts. But yes, you will notice an improvement on a high percent carbon mast, especially if that mast is designed for your sails. I noticed the weight reduction instantly as well as my jibes were much easier to perform and they became better too. Good luck!

Tardy
3140 posts
29 Sep 2019 5:25AM
Thumbs Up

I would also buy a carbon boom first ,,then you have it for all your sails .You just get more of a positive feel with the carbon boom ,and a nice stiff feeling ,even if you have a 75 % mast that is enough with FREERIDE sails ... carbon is like gold ,you just want more because its so good .

Basher
113 posts
29 Sep 2019 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Difficult choice - and of course the answer is both.

I tend to look at rig weight a lot and you can save a lot of overall rig weight by going to a higher carbon mast, which then also works better with the sail in terms of 'reflex'. A light rig simply feels better in the hands and helps you sail longer.

With a carbon boom, you might not save so much weight but a carbon boom lasts forever, whereas an aluminium one lasts for maybe two years before the metal work hardens and eventually become brittle.

bhc
VIC, 116 posts
29 Sep 2019 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Carbon boom.. not only for performance but for safety. If a carbon boom didn't fail in the first few months due to a defect, very unlikely to fail for years.

Conversely, 100% carbon mast would be weaker and less durable than a 70-80%. IMHO, for recreational sailors a gorilla mast is a very good option.

Faff
VIC, 681 posts
29 Sep 2019 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Both if you can, otherwise definitely the boom.

Faff
VIC, 681 posts
29 Sep 2019 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MagicRide said..
I went to all rdm Ezzy Hookipa masts, with my Chinook pro 1 Alloy boom. Been happy with the change. Notice quite a change in performance with the Ezzy masts. I got most all Ezzy sails too but 1 and the spring back response is amazing. I won't go carbon boom, I'm happy with my boom. On my 6th year with this boom. Can't comment on if were getting the carbon boom with my older, less carbon masts. But yes, you will notice an improvement on a high percent carbon mast, especially if that mast is designed for your sails. I noticed the weight reduction instantly as well as my jibes were much easier to perform and they became better too. Good luck!

A 6 year old aluminium boom is a ticking timebomb. Buy a carbon boom for the safety, if not performance.

clarkee
WA, 186 posts
29 Sep 2019 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Boom

Nelle
VIC, 51 posts
29 Sep 2019 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like boom is the answer. Thank you all

Mark _australia
WA, 19559 posts
29 Sep 2019 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MagicRide said..

They already have the RDM masts designed for their sails.

MagicRide
187 posts
29 Sep 2019 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

I miss read your post about the correct mast for your sail. It's a no brainer now, get the carbon boom! If you didn't have the correct matching mast for your sail, I would have personally got the carbon mast first.

BSN101
WA, 1733 posts
29 Sep 2019 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
I would also buy a carbon boom first ,,then you have it for all your sails .

A very valid point. Way better value there

John340
QLD, 1988 posts
29 Sep 2019 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Boom first. They are excellent insurance against a long swim when your alloy boom breaks.

Harrow
NSW, 2774 posts
29 Sep 2019 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting thread, My boom is my only piece of kit that isn't high tech. Mark's comment about the sail bagging more when a gust hits has me thinking I should upgrade. The only time I've had an alloy boom break was when I let Waiting4Wind test drive one of my sails and, him being considerably heavier than me, he had to pump rather vigorously to get on the plane. The following day it snapped on my first run, fortunately I was on my way out so the side I needed to use to sail back to shore was still intact.

Imax1
VIC, 2251 posts
29 Sep 2019 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harrow said..
Interesting thread, My boom is my only piece of kit that isn't high tech. Mark's comment about the sail bagging more when a gust hits has me thinking I might need to upgrade. The only time I've had an alloy boom break was when I let Waiting4Wind test drive one of my sails, and him being considerably heavier than me, he was under-powered and had to pump rather vigorously to get on the plane. The following day, it snapped while rigging up.

I think it's a size thing .
If your 70 kg and only riding 5 m max ,a good alloy should be just fine .
If your above average heft , blasting over 7 m , carbon is your friend ,
I am over average sexuality and have wreaked 3 alloys and no carbons , and I'm still trying .

Maddlad
WA, 383 posts
30 Sep 2019 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely carbon boom. You notice the response from the sail straight away because there's no lag when you pump, and the sail shape doesn't change when hit by a gust, so the acceleration is also better. Hope you enjoy it Nelle. :)

Sparky
WA, 935 posts
30 Sep 2019 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

MagicRide said..

A 6 year old aluminium boom is a ticking timebomb. Buy a carbon boom for the safety, if not performance.

I wonder though about fresh water and salt water. Magicride, are you always on freshwater lakes? Maybe this will reduce corrosion? Maybe this could drastically help aluminum boom longevity? Would still get metal fatigue though...

MagicRide
187 posts
30 Sep 2019 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Good point Sparky! I'm always in fresh water, and my gear is always garaged when not in use. Could be the reason my metal boom is lasting. But with all the talk about my metal boom possibly on its last leg, I may replace it in another year. My boom costs $250, new as of to date in the US. and almost $900 for a new carbon boom. Based on these numbers, I could get a new metal boom every 6 years to last me up too 18 years for the cost of 1 carbon boom for the hopes it lasts 18 years. I guess to me, I'd rather have a new metal boom every 6 years, than have 1 carbon boom for 18 years. I figure in 18 years with a carbon boom, the gripping would need replaced several times, as well as the out haul pulley needing replacement several times, and the boom clamp as well during the course of the 18 years of carbon boom. I don't know how to wrap a boom with gripping, we don't have anyone close to do it. See where I'm coming from. I'd rather sacrafic a little weight and stiffness and have a newer generation metal boom every 6 years than having a carbon boom, that I hope will hold up for 18 years.

Orange Whip
QLD, 651 posts
30 Sep 2019 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

I often see it quoted by the average punter that carbon booms are lighter than alum booms. I reckon that's horse**** based on the ones I've picked up. The extra weight is the biggest factor that has prevented me from going to carbon booms. For us skinny pricks the weight is a big factor.

On the other hand, I have changed my masts to carbon because they are noticeably lighter and they help set my sails how they are meant to set, didn't realise how much difference the carbon masts would make to the performance of my sails until changing.

Gestalt
QLD, 12138 posts
30 Sep 2019 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

im with you re masts orange whip. 100% masts do feel lighter and the sail feels better.

booms too. the stiffness of carbon is what made me switch. first time i used carbon i switched every boom that season. when booms first started coming out in carbon they used to break. not so much these days. all my carbon booms are 10-15 years old now.

weight wise it depends. race are fairly heavy because of the length but carbon wave booms are pretty good. especially if you run them on longer extension settings. that keeps the weight down. aluminium just cant match the stiffness at longer extension.

i'd get both in carbon.

forceten
794 posts
30 Sep 2019 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

What is the carbon content of the current mast ?
if it's 85%, the. No.
a 100% carbon mast doesn't really exist , cause it has to be glued together,they call them that anyway, they all do.

what I like about the carbon booms is a decrease in weight, stiffness, my AL 360s have a anatomical shape.

So + another for boom, unless the mast is 55%

Nelle
VIC, 51 posts
1 Oct 2019 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Gorilla masts are 75% carbon. The marketing does focus heavily on the indestructability of them more than performance.

Manuel7
302 posts
1 Oct 2019 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'd say fin or board,.... sorry :D !!!

Nelle
VIC, 51 posts
2 Oct 2019 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Manuel7 said..
I'd say fin or board,.... sorry :D !!!

Manual,
Damn you are right, I need all new gear, there is also my complete lack of ability to consider. The board is a JP magic ride wood 111 with a stock fin or Starboard Kode 94, I can only get 27 knots out of both these boards, so although neither are speed machines, rider skill is the obvious limiting factor.

Manuel7
302 posts
2 Oct 2019 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

Starboard Kode Freewave? A pretty darn fast board! What fin? Which board would you want to boost?

Nelle
VIC, 51 posts
2 Oct 2019 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, about a 2015 Starboard Kode freewave. Just the stock fin and US box so not great for putting a slalom fin on. I actually usually sail it as a tri fin in what we loosely call waves in Port Phillip bay. The magic ride is my flat water board and so the one I try to get some speed out of. We get a lot of 15-20 knot seabreeze in the summer which when its on the 15 knot end I cant keep the 94 litre Kode planning.

Maddlad
WA, 383 posts
2 Oct 2019 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Nothing wrong with the magic ride you've got Nelle. If you want more speed, maybe a slalom/pointer fin in G10 or carbon will help. I had the same board and used it for racing when I first started. I used a G10 Vector Volt fin in it and it got it up and flying quite well. :)

musorianin
QLD, 231 posts
2 Oct 2019 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Makes sense to get the carbon boom as most people say. They last longer and perform better than alloy. Having said that, I just had to replace my 18 month old carbon boom because I left it in the rigging area and it had disappeared by the time I realised and drove back to look for it. So, if you are a bit forgetful or anything like me - alloy might be a smart investment. Then again, I went carbon for the replacement

djl070
WA, 276 posts
3 Oct 2019 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

BOOM

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"100% carbon mast or carbon boom" started by Nelle