Forums > Windsurfing General

2013 Falcon 122.

Created by olskool A week ago, 7 Feb 2019
olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
7 Feb 2019 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Crew, got a Question. My Falcon 122 rear strap foot pad is normal thickness (6mm)towards rail where footstrap screws down. But inboard side of strap where your toes go its 25mm thick. ??? Why is this?? Thought i might put some inboard strap plugs. But footpad is too thick..
Any ideas???

choco
SA, 3383 posts
7 Feb 2019 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

I think it was done like this to make it easier to apply leverage and help fly the board off the fin

olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
8 Feb 2019 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Any tricks or tips to riding one of these critters? Im 6'2" size 11 foot. That rear strap is only 50mm from rail. How do i stop my heel from draggin in the water? Do i hafta stand with heel facing forward of strap? Kinda like a duck. Or is board to be powered, sailed/ railed on fin constantly ?
Im itchin to ride this thing but cant see just how im going to deal with that rear strap.

Mr Keen
QLD, 51 posts
8 Feb 2019 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Dredging on a slalom board is no fun. Powered up on the fin will lift the board and your oversized foot...

Orange Whip
QLD, 525 posts
8 Feb 2019 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

I'm terribly disappointed olskool, I thought for sure your high wind board would be one of these

olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
8 Feb 2019 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Yo Mr Keen,im no friggin big foot. Just a big rig all over. At 100kg my most common setup here at GB is 9.5 n 150.

olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
8 Feb 2019 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..

I'm terribly disappointed olskool, I thought for sure your high wind board would be one of these

Hey OW, Ive got a silver one. Thats what i started back on 3 years ago. Also got the 108litre 8'10"World Cup Slalom. Hell i got the whole Speed collection.

Orange Whip
QLD, 525 posts
8 Feb 2019 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..

Orange Whip said..

Hey OW, Ive got a silver one. Thats what i started back on 3 years ago. Also got the 108litre 8'10"World Cup Slalom. Hell i got the whole Speed collection.

You definitely da SPEED maan, maan

Mr Keen
QLD, 51 posts
8 Feb 2019 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Yo Mr Keen,im no friggin big foot. Just a big rig all over. At 100kg my most common setup here at GB is 9.5 n 150.

Should be good to go with 7m 20 knots up then....given the history of wind like that in SE Qld lately you may get to use it at least once before winter. Maybe this Sunday. You may have to come south to get it

olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
8 Feb 2019 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Mr Keen, yep it seems that way. November/ December we had 5 fridays in a row of 25+ here at GB. So i bought a 6.5 n the Falcon. Havnt used either. Im only 5min from water. Hard to drive anywhere else.

Imax1
VIC, 1669 posts
9 Feb 2019 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Move the plugs.

mkseven
QLD, 2218 posts
9 Feb 2019 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

My feet are size 13, have only ever really suffered on one of the old isonic 130's & some speed boards (most aren't too bad).

For starters make sure your straps are open enough, seemed to be a thing in the past where guys had straps way too tight, you should be able to see your toes. Aside from missing out on board control & wet ride it also stops you gybing properly.

Getting into strap make sure press down fully on ball of front foot to ride board flat then slip into rears. If you look down at your straps you will drop onto your heels unless very aware to ride board flat.

Sailing along if your heel is getting slapped you are not riding board flat through either sloppy stance, being defensive or too small fin (which yours arent from previous discussion). The big fanatics also seemed to like riding a little over to leeward edge.

If the above isn't the problem you could get some starboard k9 plates you can move the hole in your footstrap to the outer most one of the 3 (you will see if you pull the anti twist plates out), cant really do with the plastic fanatic strap non twisters unless you want to hack one side off them. You shouldn't need to do this, the pwa guys are pretty big & the boards are designed around them. I've done this on one of my big isonics & w49 speedboard, as much for consistency & offset as those boards had plugs a bit different to my others, doesnt seem to matter much with strap stiffness on back straps (wouldn't do it to fronts).

If all else fails struggling to get into rear strap put back foot in first, not something I do except on the mentioned troublesome isonic 130 & tried it after noticing dunkerbeck doing that on the same board.

& give it time, changing boards your brain needs to figure out where the straps are (without resorting to looking).

olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
9 Feb 2019 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Mkseven would my 51cm S1 be too much fin for lighter winds? Still waiting on 45 S1.

mkseven
QLD, 2218 posts
9 Feb 2019 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

If not gusty... but you sail Golden Beach right?

20 years ago they started using 51cm fins with 9m sails / 60cm wide xl course slaloms, those fins were terrible compared to current & your board is 15cm wider so if you want to it's doable you'll just be slower than the 45 & go more upwind downwind rather than same same crosswind.

olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
9 Feb 2019 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Mkseven, yep GB. Windy either side of the run n hollow in the middle.So 51cm n 8.5m in 15kt do able. Cool.

olskool
QLD, 1022 posts
Wednesday , 13 Feb 2019 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Mkseven, thanks for the spot on tips dude! Finally got it out today. 7.5m n 42 BP typeR. Awesome!! Not all that tricky to ride. No gybing n tacking though. Jump on hang on n go for it! Stoked.. already tightened straps down to just little toe showing. Much better control. It actually suits my style of sailing. Yeeeewwww!!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2013 Falcon 122." started by olskool