Forums > Windsurfing General

2016 Ezzy 5.2 Legacy wave sail

Created by Magic Ride 4 months ago, 21 Apr 2017
Magic Ride
719 posts
21 Apr 2017 1:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Just rigged my Ezzy Legacy yesterday and had a great session. Very stable, light fast sail.

Couple questions:
I noticed the lower battons curl up towards the luff pocket, kinda like if there were cams on the battons which there arent. Also, the 2 battons above the lowest foot batton are about 1/2 inch away from the mast, in other words not up against the mast. I tried all kinds of batton tensioning and this is the best shape I can get. Are the battons like this for the increased wind range, because that's the only thing that makes sence. I rigged the sail on an Ezzy Hookipa 400 mast with 23cm of mast extension which it calls for. Here are some pics. Let me know what you guys think? Like I said, it feels great on the water, but the lower battons just look funny.

Mastbender
1408 posts
21 Apr 2017 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

The lowest batten keeps the power pocket down low which help expand the range of the sail by not getting overpowered so quickly, you have more leverage over the sail that way.
The other battens you don't want to rub against the mast, it will wear out the inside end of the batten pocket.
Be happy, you've rigged it correctly.

grich62
QLD, 325 posts
21 Apr 2017 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

that is rigged correctly, only ezzy has the battens come behind the mast when the sail is relaxed,they will go forward and lock in the shape with wind in them,check out his rigging videos and instructions

JonesySail
QLD, 813 posts
21 Apr 2017 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Mate, as above, bottom is called 'shape' not 'funny' , the top battens should be off the mast.

Just follow the dimensions and instructions as given by Ezzy and it will be perfect, don't muck with the recipe!
Watch the Ezzy rigging videos on the website, if in doubt.
By the looks of that pic you may now have too much batten tension on the battens above the boom, they normally wont have much shape if at all, especially the top one it should have almost no tension.

If you set the down haul to the recommended med-full setting all you then do is tune the outhaul to suit the conditions, eg powered, under powered...again follow the dimensions exactly you won't go wrong, use the outhaul guide ropes if in doubt, pull them full to the inside of the boom for your guide, the outhaul will have a BIG impact on how the sail feels and performs.

I'd send the photo into Ezzy by email, and get their comment about the battens above the boom. They are pre tensioned prior to shipping and almost never need adjusting at the start.

Nice looking sail!

Magic Ride
719 posts
21 Apr 2017 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe I will try loosening the battons slightly. The last Ezzy I had was in early 2000. I remember the battons meeting up with mast then, at least the first 3 bottom ones did, but that a long while ago on a 6.5 Ezzy Wave sail. It's awesome to see how the Ezzy sails behave and perform now.

I sent some pics to David Ezzy today, but haven't heard back yet, so I thought I'd post here to hear some feedback on this as well.

I don't see many videos on how the Legacy is rigged other than with David Ezzy and he doesn't talk about the lower battons not meeting up with the mast. I'm just not used to seeing the lower battons not meeting up with the mast. This is just something new for me to realise and I can see would make perfect sence. I now laugh at myself when I was trying to tune the lower battons so they would touch the mast, cuz all my other non Ezzy sails rig that way, so I thought that was the norm.

joe windsurf
1108 posts
21 Apr 2017 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

most lower battens I have used looked like this (and I have not had any Ezzy sails YET)

BUT I was surprised to find this from Ezzy - especially diagram # 5

bigdaz
NSW, 142 posts
21 Apr 2017 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Careful not to over tension the battens - they look pretty tight in ur pictures, I would back them off until they slightly wrinkle and then slowly tighten until the wrinkles disappear. Other than that, just stick to the rigging guidelines, they work. I have emailed Ezzy before and he talked about how he use to design sails to look perfect when rigged, now he designs them to just be awesome sails on the water, which doesn't = a perfect looking sail on the beach (Take the Taka for example, but his philosophy is the same across the range). Watch the rigging video's its very enlightening.

Enjoy, it looks like a great sail

Tardy
1636 posts
21 Apr 2017 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

It's already been rigged in the factory .you shouldnt have to tighten any .yet .
it is correct ,that's how they rig ,
Its for stability . How the battens don't touch the mast .cool hey .

Magic Ride
719 posts
21 Apr 2017 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thx for all your feedback so far guys! All sounds really good. I just heard back from David Ezzy and he answered all my questions. Something interesting he shared with me was, that he sets his battons slightly farther back in the sail so they don't touch the mast, which gives the sail a more balanced, stable feel on the water and he sure nailed that one!! He also mentioned that I may have been used to sailing with flat panel sails with a tight luff with the battons meeting up with the mast. He calls those sails, rotational sails. He nailed that one again too!!! That is all I have sailed was rotational sails until the Ezzy. He says his sails are non rotational sails, meaning the battons don't touch the mast, resulting in a more stable foil.

Thanks David Ezzy!!

Tardy
1636 posts
21 Apr 2017 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hey magic ride .if you put a string in the middle of the boom .[it should have a hole for it .]
rather than on one arm on the uphaul rope , it will come up straighter .
but glad you like the sail ,it looks awesome rigged .i need to upgrade a 2007 ,5.0.
is this rigged on your 400,mast .

Magic Ride
719 posts
21 Apr 2017 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tardy,

Yes, my 5.2 Legacy calls for a 400 mast with 23cm of extension. The rig is super light. Looking forward to see how much air I can get with this thing. Weather is looking better now with 15-20 knots now every day for at least a week out. The 4.7 Legacy also fits on a 400 mast. Good luck sail shopping!!

joe windsurf
1108 posts
21 Apr 2017 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

and i am still waiting for that action film

Magic Ride
719 posts
22 Apr 2017 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..
and i am still waiting for that action film

Early May I will start filming

windsurftom
NSW, 173 posts
22 Apr 2017 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

Ezzy have a lot of shape cut into the panels of the sail, and do not require rotation of the battens to shape a flat sail.

Shifu
QLD, 517 posts
22 Apr 2017 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

BATTENS! (ffs)

MrCranky
VIC, 466 posts
22 Apr 2017 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

The uphaul line belongs on the mast, not the boom.

Orange Whip
QLD, 339 posts
22 Apr 2017 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrCranky said..

Hahaha, well spotted, that'll do me

Sparky
WA, 525 posts
22 Apr 2017 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrCranky said..

Or not at all on a 5.2?

Magic Ride
719 posts
22 Apr 2017 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

The uphaul line is home made, cheaper and longer lasting than the windsurfing kind, therefore it's much thicker and won't attach to the very front of the boom like the traditional ones. I have had it set like this, slightly off the front of the boom for years and it works perfect. I use that one boom for my 6.8, 6.0 and 5.2 sails, so I just keep the uphaul line on. I rarely would even use the uphaul line on my 5.2 sail, unless the wind subsidies. Good observation though guys!

Madge
NSW, 102 posts
24 Apr 2017 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Naish still sails with an up haul most of the time......

Back off the batten tension until there are little vertical creases then tighten them just enough to take the creases out.

They are great sails and should last for years...

Sparky
WA, 525 posts
24 Apr 2017 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madge said..

Back off the batten tension until there are little vertical creases then tighten them just enough to take the creases out.

At Jaws or Hookipa, it is useful to have an up haul rope to quickly grab to re-orientate the sail. Robby could even do a quick up haul while up to his waist in water before getting cleaned up by a fourty foot set.

When using a 5.2 it has to be at least 18 knots plus. Water start territory. When I sail a 130 litre and 8.7 I put the up haul on because it is a low wind and some times, no wind option.

Magicride is not Robby Naish, and Magicride is on a lake in Oregon.

NordRoi
173 posts
25 Apr 2017 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sparky said..

Madge said..

At Jaws or Hookipa, it is useful to have an up haul rope to quickly grab to re-orientate the sail. Robby could even do a quick up haul while up to his waist in water before getting cleaned up by a fourty foot set.

When using a 5.2 it has to be at least 18 knots plus. Water start territory. When I sail a 130 litre and 8.7 I put the up haul on because it is a low wind and some times, no wind option.

I'm not robby, but I have a uphaul even when I sail 3.7 and 76L. Sometime when you missed a grab, you can still go for the uphaul. when Wind drop, you can uphaul when waterstart is impossible. I know you can lift-up a sail by the mast only...but quite hard. When you break a mast you can use the uphaul to attached pi?ces of equipement, I don't know but for me it's part of my gear no mather what.

Madge
NSW, 102 posts
25 Apr 2017 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sparky said..

Madge said..

I would have thought anyone on lake oregon would use an uphill, its freezing there, I wouldn't want to be doing a light wind water start in freezing water.....

MrCranky
VIC, 466 posts
25 Apr 2017 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madge said..
I would have thought anyone on lake oregon would use an uphill, its freezing there, I wouldn't want to be doing a light wind water start in freezing water.....

Oregon? I'd be more concerned about bears waiting for you on the beach.

Magic Ride
719 posts
25 Apr 2017 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madge said..

Sparky said..

Madge said..

Water is close to 50 degrees now here. Two months ago the water was in the high 30s. I was uphauling then, now it's mostly water starting. But I am still wearing 2 wetsuits. A 3 mm shorty and a 3 mm full suit. 1 mm glove inside a 3 mm glove, booties with socks and a 5 mm full head gear. Water warms very fast here, so I end up shedding off gear pretty fast. In another month I will loose the 1 mm gloves inside the 3 mm gloves and just use the 3 mm gloves, loose the head gear and wear a baseball hat, loose the 3 mm shorty under the full suit and just wear the full suit with booties and socks. By end of June I am in board shorts, shirtless as the water is about 70 degrees by then.

Magic Ride
719 posts
25 Apr 2017 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrCranky said..

Oregon? I'd be more concerned about bears waiting for you on the beach.

Klamath Lake, Oregon doesn't have any bears here, that I have seen. It's all residential where I sail, with a yacht club 100 yards south of where I launch. There is a golf course right off the lake and parks and a marina. Further North up the lake it's more whirl. Mainly deer around. Never seen a bear yet.

Sparky
WA, 525 posts
25 Apr 2017 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shifu said..
LOSE! (ffs)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2016 Ezzy 5.2 Legacy wave sail" started by Magic Ride