Forums > Windsurfing General

Australian Wavesailing Titles 2016 - Gnaraloo.

Created by HF > 9 months ago, 30 Oct 2015
HF
WA, 167 posts
4 Nov 2015 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Like I said before, the Guy Cribb crew numbered 11. The most I counted was 15 total in the middle of the day with several sessions being awesome with only 3-8 people, I had one session with only 2 other people out. Much better than the 50-60 out years ago!

(This is a response to Nuders post).

buz
WA, 29 posts
4 Nov 2015 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Bommi 24-7

NR
WA, 505 posts
4 Nov 2015 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

HF, Sounds good. Will be an awesome comp.

thedrip
WA, 2066 posts
4 Nov 2015 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Useless windsurfers on SUPs haven't diminished in numbers in the morning.

stehsegler
WA, 2957 posts
4 Nov 2015 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

In regards to concerns about numbers. I doubt a comp will radically increase the numbers. I agree with others that about 5 to 8 years ago it was pretty busy from September right through to March with many people staying for several weeks at a time.

A lot of the Euro crew now go to South Africa. The single biggest reason is that getting your windsurf gear / kite gear to Oz is either crazy expensive or outright impossible. Then once you get here everything is insanely expensive.

Compare that with South Africa which is relatively easy to get to (8 hours from Europe), gear transport is easy and cheap, once you get there live is fairly inexpensive. Their wind is more consistent then what we've seen in WA over the last few years plus you don't have to drive hundreds of kilometers just to get from one spot to the next. Often you can get a house right on the beach where you windsurf.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying OZ is no good. Quite the opposite. It's just that I don't see a Nationals comp suddenly attracting a flood of people that never heard about this place.

masse
41 posts
5 Nov 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Would be nice to see some more heli footage from Gnaraloo. Hope that you'll have a good comp and that the place can be kept the way it is. I'd sure like to go there, one of my dream spots to sail (alongside Mauritius, Topocalma and PSC).

Just to put things into perspective - here in Sweden, I'd say that alongside Margs and Geraldton (and perhaps Esperance), Gnaraloo is easily the most well known spot for wavesailing in WA.

It even has its own nick name in Swedish - "Gnarran".

Spotty
VIC, 1276 posts
5 Nov 2015 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
Useless windsurfers on SUPs haven't diminished in numbers in the morning.

here's a useless windsurfer on a SUP, look how much space is being taken up in the lip no respect, absolute OUTRAGE!!!!

lotofwind
NSW, 5030 posts
5 Nov 2015 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

What I want to know is why is it that an activity that you all say is not "fashionable" anymore, and yáll are always banging on about ways to promote it to try and boost numbers like back 30 years ago in the 80's, but then hold one of the biggest comp (20 people attending) in one of the most remote places possible that no Joe public can actually come and watch ?

Its kinda like putting the leper colony out in the middle of nowhere.

Gestalt
QLD, 12048 posts
5 Nov 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Why talk about next years event 4 days before this years event actually happens.

Seems very odd. Maybe wait till this years event us over so it gets the space it deserves.

At least respect those that have put in the effort to make this years event happen by helping provide a focus on flat rock.

Pretty poor form.

Hausey
NSW, 325 posts
5 Nov 2015 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..
What I want to know is why is it that an activity that you all say is not "fashionable" anymore, and yáll are always banging on about ways to promote it to try and boost numbers like back 30 years ago in the 80's, but then hold one of the biggest comp (20 people attending) in one of the most remote places possible that no Joe public can actually come and watch ?

now that kitesurfing is so fashionable - where are the wave comps hey loto?

the numbers at the Wavesailing Nats weren't much more in the 80's and 90's, it was always a low key!

even if they were on at Bondi Beach, Joe public would be sipping a drink across the road.

great call having it at the best break there is!

Wonder if the standard of the winner today would be better than it was 20 years ago?

Still got images from 1996 of Pat Redman etched in my mind - well over mast high and low tide at Gnarloo just running the line between impossible and insane - between navigating the steps on the face and hanging in and over the lip, all the way down the line.....just in control - but on the edge of getting completely smashed!

Hausey
NSW, 325 posts
5 Nov 2015 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..
Why talk about next years event 4 days before this years event actually happens.

Seems very odd. Maybe wait till this years event us over so it gets the space it deserves.

At least respect those that have put in the effort to make this years event happen by helping provide a focus on flat rock.

Pretty poor form.

Reckon it's something good to get excited about!

Odds of getting flat rock anywhere near as good as Gnarloo - are about the same as a female jockey winning the melbourne cup!

But then again, you never know!

HF
WA, 167 posts
6 Nov 2015 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

Pretty poor form.

Justin, you really should have done your research on this topic first. The current event which starts tomorrow is almost 2 years after the last one and it wasn't till one year after Phillip Island that people started asking "where is the next nats?" So it wasn't till the one year mark that NSW put their hand up and started planning it.
In that topic it was decided it would be a good idea to plan 1 year ahead and hopefully choose the next location at the current nats. This isn't an event notification, I went out and got all the permissions need, spoke to a lot of people to get this arranged, organised a helicopter for the event just so we can plan ahead. It doesn't really matter to me if it's at Gnaraloo or not, "it's a topic of conversation" and if there's positive feedback we will go ahead with it.

stehsegler
WA, 2957 posts
6 Nov 2015 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Col,

Great job putting down the ground work. One thing people need to remember is that windsurf events in Australia are volunteer based... ie people don't do it as a get rich quick scheme. Quite the opposite. Often people put in their own money in addition to time, blood, sweat and tears to make it happen.

Gestalt, the big problem with organizing any type of beach event in Australia is the insane number of permits you need which can take months to get depending on what council you are dealing with. In addition, you have scheduling conflicts with other events, school holidays, etc. . On top of that you have to content with people complaining about location, who is allowed to enter and who isn't, that there is no wind, there is too much wind, there are no waves, the waves are too big...
... sometimes I am surprised these events happen at all.

Windxtasy
WA, 3870 posts
6 Nov 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Great job HF in doing the boring groundwork in anticipation of some support.
I am sure the great location will attract a good number of competitors, and will give people who have dreamed of going to Gnaraloo a good excuse to make the effort.

John340
QLD, 1929 posts
6 Nov 2015 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

Gestalt, the big problem with organizing any type of beach event in Australia is the insane number of permits you need which can take months to get depending on what council you are dealing with. In addition, you have scheduling conflicts with other events, school holidays, etc. . On top of that you have to content with people complaining about location, who is allowed to enter and who isn't, that there is no wind, there is too much wind, there are no waves, the waves are too big...

To be fair, Gestalt, who has successfully run Burrum Heads Windfest for the last 9 years, has a good appreciation of difficulties in organising a windsurfing event

Gestalt
QLD, 12048 posts
6 Nov 2015 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HF said..

Gestalt said..

Pretty poor form.

Justin, you really should have done your research on this topic first. The current event which starts tomorrow is almost 2 years after the last one and it wasn't till one year after Phillip Island that people started asking "where is the next nats?" So it wasn't till the one year mark that NSW put their hand up and started planning it.
In that topic it was decided it would be a good idea to plan 1 year ahead and hopefully choose the next location at the current nats. This isn't an event notification, I went out and got all the permissions need, spoke to a lot of people to get this arranged, organised a helicopter for the event just so we can plan ahead. It doesn't really matter to me if it's at Gnaraloo or not, "it's a topic of conversation" and if there's positive feedback we will go ahead with it.

I understand the dynamics here Col, would it have killed you to wait a week before taking the spot light off this years event.

Gestalt
QLD, 12048 posts
6 Nov 2015 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

stehsegler said..

To be fair, Gestalt, who has successfully run Burrum Heads Windfest for the last 9 years, has a good appreciation of difficulties in organising a windsurfing event

thanks John.

HF
WA, 167 posts
6 Nov 2015 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

HF said..

Gestalt said..

Pretty poor form.

I understand the dynamics here Col, would it have killed you to wait a week before taking the spot light off this years event.

I dont think you understand, the request in that topic was to discuss the next location during the current event.

It doesnt take the spotlight off, it give's the nats some discussion. There is no current nats thread in the general forum, most people wouldn't know they were on - they start tomorrow by the way!

Mark _australia
WA, 19085 posts
6 Nov 2015 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..

Yeah cos we are all retarded and tried a wave comp on the Swan River in front of the CBD and strangely the conditions were not quite right. Duh you do realise our capital city has no real wave spots? Why wouldn't we put the wave Nationals at the best wave spot going?

Timmayyy

Mark _australia
WA, 19085 posts
6 Nov 2015 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ clarification I was talking about next Nat's not this year :)

Also I was just venting at the insignificant little troll so worth disregarding my stuff anyway

Stuthepirate
SA, 3471 posts
6 Nov 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

i can sort of see loto's point.
It's kinda like Surfing in the 80's and 90's
Comps were being held in substandard conditions because thats where the crowds and sponsorship was.
Then they realised to really promote the brand the best way was to surf at idyllic venues and promote the sport more as a travel destination than a competition.
It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I'd like to see windsurfing more popular in Australia, with a tour at all the great sailing spots around the country, but on the other hand, people get on my F*&%ing tits.

Gestalt
QLD, 12048 posts
6 Nov 2015 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HF said...
Gestalt said..

HF said..

Gestalt said..

Pretty poor form.

I dont think you understand, the request in that topic was to discuss the next location during the current event.

It doesnt take the spotlight off, it give's the nats some discussion. There is no current nats thread in the general forum, most people wouldn't know they were on - they start tomorrow by the way!

Yeah it's exciting. I've taken time off work to go and watch. That part of nsw is stunningly beautiful. One of my favourite spots to visit. Flat rock is such a great spot and lennox is surfing heaven. Thinking I'll hang around lennox early getting some surf shots and head down to flat rock for when the wind kicks in each day.

Probably catch a few waves at the pass as well.

Are you going this year col. Stunning stretch of coast. Feel really lucky to be able to watch australias best shred flat rock.

king of the point
WA, 1814 posts
6 Nov 2015 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Every surf break has an event but from my experience if you carnt work out who sails it well and one needs to crown a champion it will be a sad day / it will be a mother period to avoid the place
part

TurtleHunter
WA, 1673 posts
6 Nov 2015 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ No one seriously thinks this is a secret spot; that's not the point. Surfers lobbied hard to ensure this was not a contest venue, not to keep it secret but to maintain it's aura and style for the average committed surfer. So in part it's about respecting that. Comps benefit a few not the masses that use the spot. I bet the windsurfers as a whole would massively oppose a Kite comp there, and I'd support them.
This is almost the only kitesurfing post that understands my point. But then kiters aren't known for their general surf etiquette.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1673 posts
6 Nov 2015 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
masse said...
Would be nice to see some more heli footage from Gnaraloo. Hope that you'll have a good comp and that the place can be kept the way it is. I'd sure like to go there, one of my dream spots to sail (alongside Mauritius, Topocalma and PSC).

Just to put things into perspective - here in Sweden, I'd say that alongside Margs and Geraldton (and perhaps Esperance), Gnaraloo is easily the most well known spot for wavesailing in WA.

It even has its own nick name in Swedish - "Gnarran".

funny enough gnaraloo isn't well known by overseas surfers

stehsegler
WA, 2957 posts
6 Nov 2015 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said..
Surfers lobbied hard to ensure this was not a contest venue, not to keep it secret but to maintain it's aura and style for the average committed surfer.

I think the concern around the Rip Curl event was the environmental impact it was going to have on the area. A windsurf nationals event is more comparable to your local surf club comp in size. When I hear Rip Curl I think Lanceline Classic.

Select to expand quote
I bet the windsurfers as a whole would massively oppose a Kite comp there, and I'd support them.

Only if they are twats on twin tips. A few of the guys that kite Gnaraloo on surf boards are pretty amazing to watch.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1673 posts
6 Nov 2015 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

^^i guess we will just have to disagree on this then

waveboy1
VIC, 236 posts
10 Nov 2015 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windxtasy said..
Great job HF in doing the boring groundwork in anticipation of some support.
I am sure the great location will attract a good number of competitors, and will give people who have dreamed of going to Gnaraloo a good excuse to make the effort.

For what its worth i guess i will be there as a push for 2017 thanks for the heads up Jono SupWindSurf Australia.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
10 Nov 2015 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HF said..

There's 2 main reasons for doing it there in 2016.
First is that we will be doing some aerial photography near Gnaraloo at the time so having a helicopter there will be no issue and secondly that area is undergoing ownership changes .

Choppers and land ownership issues aren't valid reasons for running a national comp. ^^^

It's the wave , dude.

Have your contest and I hope it's epic.

Tombstones is arguably the most high performance wave sailing spot in the land.

Do it.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Australian Wavesailing Titles 2016 - Gnaraloo." started by HF